Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Default Seymour Duncan JB versus Bareknuckle VHII

I'm looking at ordering an Ibanez S670 guitar over the next few weeks because I've read great things about the ZR trem. The Floyd on my old Charvel is just about done for, and I want to retire that guitar. I don't play that style so much anymore, so I just need a reasonably priced superstrat. The Ibanez looks like it fits the bill nicely - but I'll want to change the pickups.

I'll put either a SD Jazz or 59 in the neck position, but I'm torn on the bridge pup. I've been a fan of the Seymour JB for a long time, and have one in the Charvel I'm retiring. I like the balance of power and tone, and the way it cleans up, so I'd be pretty happy with another one of those .....

But I've been looking at the SD 78 and the Bareknuckle VHII as alternatives. Out of those two, going by comments here, I think it's the Bareknuckle. I wondered if anyone here has had both the SD JB and the Bareknuckle VHII, and how you thought they compared? I know the VHII will be lower output and less mid-heavy, but does it still have enough grunt? Any thoughts?
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just ordered one of Smits EVH style pickups. I have a good friend that is a monster player and he has purchased some of his pickups and raves about them. I ordered his EBS-2 BROWN SOUND pickup, and it arrived in less than a week.

I like the guys no-nonsence way of doing business. He kept his promise and shipped it when he said he would. I have yet to install the pickup but I have a feeling it is right. Plus his price is very fair at 89 bucks.

He also makes a copy of the ibanez Destroyer pickup. I hear great things about those as well. Some of these pickup makers have 6 to 8 week delivery times and I am not into that. This guy has great service and I will report on the sound after I install the unit.

Check him out at http://www.smitsparts.com/index.htm
    Last edited by bosstone.net; 08.01.08 at 07:45 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 11,586 Times in 4,939 Posts

I have a JB in my old Kramer Baretta, nowhere near as warm as the Bareknuckle.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I know the VHII will be lower output and less mid-heavy, but does it still have enough grunt? Any thoughts?
    I think I've heard you play before, and if I'm remembering correctly, then you'll have NO problem doing exactly what you want with this pickup. I can't imagine you won't be able to make it growl, squeal, and rip. It's a super-articulate pickup.

The lower output just means that the top & bottom of the signal is even wider than the JB (that's a GOOD thing!), but that you'll have to fill-in the holes to make it sound like a dense high-output pickup. The beauty of it, is that it's an awesome opportunity for your amplifier's distortion to shine through the "spaces".

I didn't say you'd have to fill-in to make it sound good.....I said to make it sound like a high-output pickup, which has a narrower, compressed, more dense signal.

I can see you potentially finding it brighter than your JB, but you can always tame that with a 250k volume pot, or possibly block your trem. Or both.

Lots of ways to massage this situation to your liking.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I think I've heard you play before, and if I'm remembering correctly, then you'll have NO problem doing exactly what you want with this pickup. I can't imagine you won't be able to make it growl, squeal, and rip. It's a super-articulate pickup.

The lower output just means that the top & bottom of the signal is even wider than the JB (that's a GOOD thing!), but that you'll have to fill-in the holes to make it sound like a dense high-output pickup. The beauty of it, is that it's an awesome opportunity for your amplifier's distortion to shine through the "spaces".

I didn't say you'd have to fill-in to make it sound good.....I said to make it sound like a high-output pickup, which has a narrower, compressed, more dense signal.

I can see you potentially finding it brighter than your JB, but you can always tame that with a 250k volume pot, or possibly block your trem. Or both.

Lots of ways to massage this situation to your liking.
    Thanks, Majestic. I'm not a fan of high output distortion style pickups. I don't like that compressed, sterile sound. I've been listening to clips in different clips here and there, and I'm impressed by how articulate the VHII pup seems. I probably don't use that much gain by metal standards. I like a bit of headroom so that picking dynamics can come through. That Fair Warning/1984 era gain is about right for me. Also, I'm using a POD, so there's plenty of gain on tap if I need it. Hmm. I'm leaning towards the Bareknuckle, here, I think.

The JB has a smooth high end, but I'd sometimes like it to be a little more open sounding. The Ibanez I'm looking at has a mahogany body with a maple top, so it'll be thicker sounding than my basswood Charvel. Maybe the VHII's brighter sound will suit.

Brett - Comparing the VHII against the JB, how well does the VHII bring out harmonics? Is the difference in output between the two a lot?
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 11,586 Times in 4,939 Posts

IMO your picking attack is more important with the Bareknuckle than any SD pickup. You need to be more precise and accurate than a high-output PU. The harmonics ring wonderfullly, you just need to be accurate like I said.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!