Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,997
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Likes
    818
    Liked 3,123 Times in 1,830 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Copyright Infringement?

    Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but not when royalties are at stake.

    The Black Crowes have filed a copyright-infringement suit against country star Gretchen Wilson, accusing the self-dubbed Redneck Woman of ripping off parts of their 1991 hit "Jealous Again" on her new single, "Work Hard, Play Harder."

    It may only be rock 'n' roll, but it has the brothers Robinson mad enough to file suit not only against Wilson, but against Wilson's label, Sony BMG, the publishing company J Money Music and TNT, which is using Wilson's song in a promotion for the new season of Saving Grace.

    So far, Chris and Rich Robinson as well as Wilson have personally refrained from commenting on the similarities between the songs. But the Black Crowes' longtime manager is chiming in with his two cents.

    "We find the musical verses of Wilson's song to be such an obvious example of copyright infringement that I expect all parties to reach a relatively quick resolution to avoid legalization."

    On the bright side, should the Crowes' claims hold in court, at the very least it would show that the band's peers, if not necessarily their critics, actually do listen to their music all the way through.


    http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b148...en_wilson.html

    The verse melody and feel is pretty much lifted from the Crowes song, no doubt.

    First, Jealous Again:



    And Work Hard, Play Harder:


  2. #2
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,997
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Likes
    818
    Liked 3,123 Times in 1,830 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    This reminded me of some that I thought were pretty freaking close, but I guess not quite close enought to probably be "lifted". These two are def similar in the verses...

    Came first: Bryan Adams' Please Forgive Me



    And later, Lonestar's Amazed




    I also agree that RHCP's Dani California was incredibly similar to Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance, but I think we all know those songs so I won't post them.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    the verse definitely has a very similar vibe but once it gets to the bridge and chorus, it's a whole different animal...but yeah, that vocal medley during the verse is pretty much the same...whether she ripped it off or not, well...only she knows that...

  4. #4
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,686
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

    Default

    with, what, 8 notes to work with, I'm surprised more songs don't sound like other songs. I remember hearing Wilson's song damn near every time TNT went to a commercial during the NASCAR races, and nothing struck me as familiar about it. However, I must admit that it's been awhile since I've heard "Jealous Again", and it's not as entrenched in my brain as a lot of other songs. When I'm in a place where I can play the clips above, I'll have to take a listen.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,203
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Likes
    1,842
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

    Default

    The verse is the same but everything else no. It's just the way she is singing it. I don't find it that big of a deal.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    757
    Last Online

    01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, the verse are similiar, but I don't think the Crowes have a good case at all. I mean, how many songs do sound alike but aren't really ripoffs?? The Bryan Adams/Lonestar was a good one. How about Y & T's "Contagious" and Bon Jovi's "Livin On A Prayer"? Similiar parts, but to me different songs. Hell, maybe the Faces ought to sue the Crowes for stealing shit from them. That maybe a better case. By the way, I like the Crowes, its just I do not see the grounds for anything here.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KU and VH forever!! View Post
    ...Hell, maybe the Faces ought to sue the Crowes for stealing shit from them. That maybe a better case.
    The Faces have grounds for suing everyone, including Mr. Bon Jovi. Ever notice that "Keep The Faith" uses the exact same harmony riff The Faces used on "I Know I'm Losing You"? Shit...The Replacements, The Georgia Satellites, Guns and Roses and countless other bands that chose to "play while plowed" owe The Faces a big tip o' the hat. The key difference of course being that the band actually played well while having a party onstage.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,997
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Likes
    818
    Liked 3,123 Times in 1,830 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    with, what, 8 notes to work with, I'm surprised more songs don't sound like other songs. I remember hearing Wilson's song damn near every time TNT went to a commercial during the NASCAR races, and nothing struck me as familiar about it. However, I must admit that it's been awhile since I've heard "Jealous Again", and it's not as entrenched in my brain as a lot of other songs. When I'm in a place where I can play the clips above, I'll have to take a listen.
    In the major scale, there's 8, though the 8 is just the octave of the 1. In the Western note system, there are actually 12 notes.

    Either way, you're right, it's tough. John Fogerty was once sued for sounding like himself. BUT, I do think that the BA/Lonestar one is even worse cuz the lyrical content is somewhat similar. I think the feel and the verses of the Crowes one is almost verbatum, even if not lyrically.

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The Faces have grounds for suing everyone, including Mr. Bon Jovi. Ever notice that "Keep The Faith" uses the exact same harmony riff The Faces used on "I Know I'm Losing You"? Shit...The Replacements, The Georgia Satellites, Guns and Roses and countless other bands that chose to "play while plowed" owe The Faces a big tip o' the hat. The key difference of course being that the band actually played well while having a party onstage.
    If I remember, that song was actually on Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story album, and it was a Motown song anyway. But sure, everything is built on what came before it. Some are more blatant than others, however.

    The thing about copyright is that no one protects you but yourself. If you think someone ripped you off, the only resort is to sue and let a jury decide.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 07.31.08 at 09:49 AM.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    If I remember, that song was actually on Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story album, and it was a Motown song anyway. But sure, everything is built on what came before it. Some are more blatant than others, however.
    Kenny Jones, Ronnie Lane, Ian McLagan, and Ronnie Wood arranged, sang and performed on the song with Stewart. As such, although it wound up a Stewart solo album, it was a Faces track.

  10. #10
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,686
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

    Default

    Listened to the clip, and I can see where the comparison comes from. But then, I'm reminded that "Jealous Again" always made me think of "Tumbling Dice"!

  11. #11
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    757
    Last Online

    01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The Faces have grounds for suing everyone, including Mr. Bon Jovi. Ever notice that "Keep The Faith" uses the exact same harmony riff The Faces used on "I Know I'm Losing You"? Shit...The Replacements, The Georgia Satellites, Guns and Roses and countless other bands that chose to "play while plowed" owe The Faces a big tip o' the hat. The key difference of course being that the band actually played well while having a party onstage.
    By the way, I hope the Faces do a reunion, with Rod finally coming around for it. Maybe awkward for Woody though, being his in rehab, and Faces being so notorious for being a "drinking band" but I think he would still do it because then he would be first fiddle in the band. MacLagan and Jones have been up for it for years.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KU and VH forever!! View Post
    By the way, I hope the Faces do a reunion, with Rod finally coming around for it. Maybe awkward for Woody though, being his in rehab, and Faces being so notorious for being a "drinking band" but I think he would still do it because then he would be first fiddle in the band. MacLagan and Jones have been up for it for years.
    Yeah, yet without Ronnie Lane it wouldn't have much point, now would it?

  13. #13
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    757
    Last Online

    01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yeah, yet without Ronnie Lane it wouldn't have much point, now would it?
    Well, Ronnie Lane left the Faces early and they carried on without him, even though he such an important part of the band. Some of their stuff without him was really really good. 4 out of 5 ain't too bad I guess.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,041
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    4,493
    Liked 2,391 Times in 1,492 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The Faces now your talking.....Quite the party band back in the day from stories I have heard. Didnt George Harrison sue somebody for the same thing but lost the case?
    Last edited by edwardv; 07.31.08 at 10:19 AM.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KU and VH forever!! View Post
    Well, Ronnie Lane left the Faces early and they carried on without him, even though he such an important part of the band. Some of their stuff without him was really really good. 4 out of 5 ain't too bad I guess.
    What stuff without him? They released the live album (zero new material) with the Japanese bass player Tetsu, and recorded one single. When Lane left, so did the heart and soul of the band.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 07.31.08 at 10:24 AM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02.27.07, 09:52 AM
  2. YouTube sued over copyright infringement
    By Bob_R in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07.20.06, 02:01 PM
  3. Copyright question
    By Bob_R in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11.02.02, 11:26 AM
  4. copyright
    By edwardocatflappo in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05.15.02, 04:13 PM
  5. Copyright Law and Frankenstein guitars.
    By xaminer in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04.12.02, 11:45 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •