Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Default Question for all those Managers out there

I'm currently in the process of taking over as Director of my department(Patient Transportation) at the hospital I work at, and I'm currently working on a presentation to my boss at corporate and the hospital as how to effectively lower our average task time.

I haven't yet figured out how to deal with the the current employees other than fire them because I'd really like to get most of them to where we need them to be, but as far as new hires are concerned, we have a 90 day probationary peroid and I was wondering if that 90 day peroid could actually be used as a trial peroid, we have this standard you must effectively be continously meeting it or you'll be fired type of deal. For starters...is legal to say that, and secondly any tips on how to piece it together would be great.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,313 Times in 3,174 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen2079 View Post
    I'm currently in the process of taking over as Director of my department(Patient Transportation) at the hospital I work at, and I'm currently working on a presentation to my boss at corporate and the hospital as how to effectively lower our average task time.

I haven't yet figured out how to deal with the the current employees other than fire them because I'd really like to get most of them to where we need them to be, but as far as new hires are concerned, we have a 90 day probationary peroid and I was wondering if that 90 day peroid could actually be used as a trial peroid, we have this standard you must effectively be continously meeting it or you'll be fired type of deal. For starters...is legal to say that, and secondly any tips on how to piece it together would be great.
    What state you in?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

patient transportation? This should cut your task time down.

I present to you, the rocket powered wheelchair!
    Attached Images Attached Images

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:07 AM
    Liked 6,827 Times in 3,569 Posts

Premium Member

I haven't yet figured out how to deal with the the current employees other than fire them.
    There ya go!... You are management material son.

Good Luck!

I hope to God that you don't work for a certain small, successful, Northeast Ohio based, family owned company.
    Last edited by Number 47; 07.30.08 at 04:52 PM.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.23.15 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    What state you in?
    Exactly my question. Idaho, being a right to work state you can do that exactly. In fact everyone we hire is on a 90 day probation period where they must prove themselves or be shown the door. Being a manager it is great tool to have, you can trim the fat with no legal issues.
    No president puts joy in my life, but Van Halen puts joy in my ears.

Never pet a burning dog.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I live in Florida(so you can only imagine the space cadets we got here)which I believe is NOT right to work state, but could be wrong. As far as the rocket powered wheelchair goes...I don't trust myself let alone my employees with that....way to many questions to answer...for example..when did 502 get a skylight?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,313 Times in 3,174 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I live in Florida(so you can only imagine the space cadets we got here)which I believe is NOT right to work state, but could be wrong. As far as the rocket powered wheelchair goes...I don't trust myself let alone my employees with that....way to many questions to answer...for example..when did 502 get a skylight?
    Easy, 90 day action plans with specific goals and the consequences if those goals are not met. The key being some goals tangible and some difficult, sees what kind of people you're dealing with. If they don't follow through, see ya. Either way you got the upper hand. And documentation is key so no unemployment claims!!!
    Last edited by fudd; 07.30.08 at 05:45 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

What I LOVE about being a manager is I get to be a real DICK! I get to wear a nice pressed shirt with god-awful tie and pleated pants. Of course, on Fridays.....yee haw.....I get to wear khakis with a really cool button down polo with my company's logo on the right chest. Makes for an easy transition to the golf course, where I engage in a 'quick 9' (or 3 hour business lunch, whichever you want to call it).

Best of all, being a 'yes' man for my corporate master has afforded me the opportunity to buy my own Lexus or Mercedes. Of course, I don't actually own it, the bank does, but it feels like mine. Golly, only 7 more years of $500 dollar a month payments and that baby's all mine. Of course, it will only be worth 1/10th of what I payed for it, but, hey man.....this is America! Its all about ME!

Now forgive me, I've got to go hit the gym and 'network' with some potential new clients, errrrrr......I mean, hang out with my buds.
    Last edited by wham bam will rock; 07.30.08 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to include a sports metaphor. Sorry!
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is interesting subject, I could never be a manager I care about people an try to be as honest as I can. I hate ass kissers, people that are full of big talk with no action, and I prefer working for a living.

I think the biggest problem with some managers is they will come from a big company and for what ever reason they leave that company go to a smaller company. When they arrive at that new company they will try to micro manage things till they finally piss off every one that they will leave. Personally I have told a couple of these types to F off, and walked out on them. I know I bring more to the table than some one who is just over head.

What they don't realize is they are only a tool, that the uppers in the company are using to get ride of employees that they don't have the balls to get rid of them self. In the end they will find them self's in the same position as the folks they F over. What goes around come around in the end.

Just my thoughts from personal experience, but on the other hand I have worked for a real good manager or two. Who cared about the people that worked for them and they where honest. Also we as a team knock out a lot of hard work.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

You need to talk to your HR people and find out just what you can and can't do, and how you need to do it.

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

04.24.17 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You should read up on Charles Koch's MBM Guiding principles. I came from some training in the current managment position how to be a manager in the industry, but I do believe it could pertain to every management position out there. I think his website speaks alot on how to treat indivduals in there everyday work place. I know I learned things I didn't know, and see employees in a different way. The true test is during the first 90 days.
    I haven't had the privilege of firing anyone, but doing there evaluation's can be intresting because of the overall evaluation's on how they progress.

Good Luck to you!
    All songs written and performed by:

Edward Van Halen: Lead Guitars, Backround vocals
    Sammy Hagar: Lead Vocals, Acoustic/Guitars
    Michael Anthony: Bass/ Backround Vocals
    Alex Van Halen: Drums/Percussions/Back Vocals
    Sammy Hagars solos available on Geffen
    Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:50 AM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    patient transportation? This should cut your task time down.

I present to you, the rocket powered wheelchair!

Has the laziest person ever seen this yet?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Had to check your location! In where I'm at in Canada, I don't think you could even contemplate doing something like that! Put it this way, I also look after a building,and i have a tenant who has literally put me in the hospital over the stress he's put me under. I am a very patient manager, our bldg. is privately owned thus very fair, and far below the current market.I follow the general government rules, and treat all tenants the same. I take care of all repairs immediately, but the second a mandatory rent increase is discussed, I'm reported to the rentalsboard that I'm unfair, a racist,(he's south asian....so is my wife..Huh?) a deadbeat landlord, etc. etc. (first mistake....My wife is asian!) He propositions other tenants to gain favour, and complains also about the ones he feels do not meet his "status" ie. anyone who works with their hands is a "scumbag loser who lost life's lottery". That observation includes me! I recieve letters under my door daily with his complaints, phone calls at work asking how I'm going to deal with what was described in his letters, and then the threat of "hating to have to take this to the Human Rights Tribunal because I'm not respecting his human rights." Now do you think I can get rid of this cancer of a personality to improve the livability and comfort of other tenants? Nope! Not here. It was made clear to me that you can't evict or fire someone who is "mearly being a disruptive personality". As this would be considered an infringement and prejudice of a persons personality. WTF? Is'nt that the point? So I also manage my dept. at work, so one of our employees starts to slack off, lose interest,and generally fucks things up, but is just hanging on to the job 'cause the money is good, It is now on my dime to send this guy to an occupational councellor, or put him in another position in the company, but I can't lower his rate,even though we must lower his rank in the company. He has to go down the ladder from a jr. logistics position, to a warehouse position. I still have to pay him $17.50hr.for a position that we pay $8.50 hr. for. Now you can imagine what turmoil that has caused. Now the other guys in the stock area are also now demanding dramatic increases in their pay or they will complain about unfairness!!!! See? I don't know how it is in your state, but if it is anywhere as bleedingheart liberal as where I live, all I gotta say is watch your cornhole bud! DO YOUR RESEARCH! Needless to say, even though this has been my home all my life, were looking at pulling up roots and starting over somewhere else. Someplace that has'nt lost touch with reality, and there's still some common sense in leadership and lawmaking. This has just turned to a nanny state. Good luck with your situation though man. People think it's great at the top. It's the hardest shit Iv'e had to deal with.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.31.08 at 06:47 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Florida is a right to work state. Unless you can really document things well though, your company will really have to document any firings of current employees, and even then, I have yet to see an apeal of benefits turned down; ie: the employees always get their money after getting fired. As for the 90 day deal, done it plenty of times and fired more than my share of slackers back in the day.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.