Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Olympics Thread 8/08/08

I hope there isn't one already started....I looked, but then again my search capabilty seems to be somewhat....well it rots! If so could someone point it out to me?

If NOT:
    I am really excited about the games, I am a junkie when it comes to the Olympics.
    I was really bummed to see that Paul Hamm officially withdrew today. I was watching the competition in May when he broke his hand. You could actually hear it when it happened. Kinda creepy.

I am also digging the fact that they will air lots of the events at night here so we don't have to turn off the news in order not to get spoilers!
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Injured gymnast Paul Hamm not going to Beijing

By NANCY ARMOUR, AP National Writer 31 minutes ago

Paul Hamm won’t be going to the Beijing Olympics, after all.

The reigning Olympic gold medalist announced Monday that he is withdrawing from the U.S. team because his broken right hand is not sufficiently healthy enough for him to compete.

He also hurt his rotator cuff in his accelerated recovery effort.

“I have put my heart and soul into my comeback and done everything I could to get ready in time to compete in Beijing,” Hamm said in a statement released by USA Gymnastics.

“After returning home from the preparation camp, I had a few physical setbacks, and it became clear to me that my physical preparations would not be sufficient to properly represent the United States and contribute to the team’s efforts to win a medal.

“At this point in time, the success of the team and fairness to the team, and the alternates, is most important. While I am very disappointed, I feel I can wait no longer to make this decision.”

The U.S. men are scheduled to leave Wednesday, and competition begins Aug. 9.

One of the alternates—Sasha Artemev, David Durante and Raj Bhavsar—will take Hamm’s place.

Hamm’s injury is a blow to the Americans, who were fourth at last year’s world championships and hoped his return—and that of twin brother Morgan— would get them back on the podium. It also clears the way for China’s Yang Wei in the all-around race. Yang, the two-time defending world champion, is so technically superior that Hamm is believed to be the only one who could challenge him.

Hamm broke his hand May 22 at the national championships, just 11 weeks before the start of the games. He had surgery five days later and pushed his recovery in hopes he’d be healthy enough to help the Americans win a medal and defend his all-around title.

But a hand injury is one of the toughest for a gymnast to overcome. Every one of the six events puts a heavy load of stress on the hand, and many moves require the hand to be twisted sharply or to support a gymnast’s entire body weight.

Hamm’s withdrawal likely ends the career of one of the best gymnasts the United States has ever had. He is the only American man to win the world (2003) and Olympic (2004) titles, and he led the United States to a silver medal in Athens, their first at the Olympics in 20 years.

“We admire Paul for making this difficult decision,” said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. “Paul’s comeback this year has been phenomenal, made even more impressive following the injury to his hand. He has raised the level of determination among the entire team to put forth a medal winning effort in China. We respect his decision at this time, which is being made to serve the best interests of all of the athletes involved.”

Hamm won the Olympic gold medal with one of the most spectacular comebacks in history. After a fall on vault dropped him to 12th place with only two events left, he rallied with two of the best routines of his career to win the gold.

Two days later, however, the International Gymnastics Federation said that bronze medalist Yang Tae-young of South Korea had been wrongly docked a tenth of a point on his second-to-last event. Add that extra tenth, and Yang would have scored higher than Hamm.

That assumes, though, that everything in the final rotation would have played out the same, something no one can say for sure.

use the link if you'd like the rest of the story...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...v=ap&type=lgns

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm really looking forward to the Olympics as well. My daughter is a fish (she was even born until the sign of Pieces, LOL) and she started taking swim lessons this year. I'm trying to get her jazzed about them too. They had a special pullout section in the Sunday paper that I kept so we'll know what the schedule will be. I was pointing out the BMX races to my son for Aug 12th. I'll probably let the kids stay up late to watch the opening ceremonies which should be really spectacular.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Breathe Deeply...

Come for the Olympics, stay for the air quality!

Worst smog in a month hits Beijing as Olympic athletes leave it to the last minute to acclimatise to poor air

Beijing on 7/27/08

"The air quality in August will be good," Du Shaozhong, deputy director of the Beijing Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau, told reporters on Sunday. He did not explain the reasons for his optimism.

Call me crazy, but THAT sure makes me feel reassured!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This makes about as much sense as the Olympic Committee actually believing the average high temp in Atlanta was 80 degrees.

96: Athletes fighting heat stroke.

08: Athletes trying to find air to breath.

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Wow. Those pictures are nasty. I feel sorry for everyone travelling there.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I have had two cousins in the Olympics. The first was boxer Duane Bobick in '72, who lost to Teofilo Stevenson and then Jay Mortenson, who was a swimmer in the '88 Olympics in Seoul. I think the best that Jay finished in a race was 6th.

I love the Olympics, especially Track & Field and Swimming. I'll even watch the Gymnastics for a while, it can get pretty intense.

I was pretty pissed when the U. S. boycotted the games in Moscow. It just seemed petty to me.

I'll try to watch as much of the Track & Field as possible. The bad thing is that it seems like during the High Jump, which was one of the events I did in High School and College, all you ever see is a replay of the winning jump. Whoop de doo!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the Olympics as well. My daughter is a fish (she was even born until the sign of Pieces, LOL) and she started taking swim lessons this year. I'm trying to get her jazzed about them too. They had a special pullout section in the Sunday paper that I kept so we'll know what the schedule will be. I was pointing out the BMX races to my son for Aug 12th. I'll probably let the kids stay up late to watch the opening ceremonies which should be really spectacular.
    both my kids are competitive swimmers. They are very excited about the womens races. Mens too once it gets started I'll bet.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VH Wahoo View Post
    Come for the Olympics, stay for the air quality!

Worst smog in a month hits Beijing as Olympic athletes leave it to the last minute to acclimatise to poor air

Beijing on 7/27/08

"The air quality in August will be good," Du Shaozhong, deputy director of the Beijing Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau, told reporters on Sunday. He did not explain the reasons for his optimism.

Call me crazy, but THAT sure makes me feel reassured!
    I think I heard that Beijing asked many companies to let enormous numbers of workers stay home every other week to improve the air and that polluting industries were to cut production, to limit output, until after the games were over?

I may be way off on numbers here but it was something to this effect. Glad I am not there. I don't think my inhaler would handle that, I'd need aerosolized meds the entire I was there....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I have had two cousins in the Olympics. The first was boxer Duane Bobick in '72, who lost to Teofilo Stevenson and then Jay Mortenson, who was a swimmer in the '88 Olympics in Seoul. I think the best that Jay finished in a race was 6th.

I love the Olympics, especially Track & Field and Swimming. I'll even watch the Gymnastics for a while, it can get pretty intense.

I was pretty pissed when the U. S. boycotted the games in Moscow. It just seemed petty to me.

I'll try to watch as much of the Track & Field as possible. The bad thing is that it seems like during the High Jump, which was one of the events I did in High School and College, all you ever see is a replay of the winning jump. Whoop de doo!
    way kewl Viking!

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I was interested to see the Chinese are taking security pretty seriously.

100,000 police and miltary descending on Beijing and they've even set up anti-aircraft missile defences..

Looking forward to it though and whilst i think that the Australian olympics will never be beaten for sheer drama, spirit and atmosphere, there are some good battles lined up.

btw. Viking. Your cousin fought Teofilo? Talk about one of the best fighters the world has ever seen. Was it 3 consecutive golds? One of the professional sport's greatest "what might have been" discussions.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NBC has pretty much ruined the Olympics for me so I don't get excited any more.

I might check out Women's beach volley ball, but only to rub one out.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I enjoy all of the Olympics, I prefer the winter games though.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:46 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Australia is gunning for the States in the pool.
    You will beat us although our women seem to be pretty strong this time around.
    E.F.C - 1897

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I enjoy all of the Olympics, I prefer the winter games though.
    +1
    Luge, bobsled, downhill, etc.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.