Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Feds drop criminal tax case against Sharpton

NEW YORK (AP) -- Federal prosecutors have disbanded their criminal investigation into the financial dealings of the Rev. Al Sharpton and his Harlem civil rights group, the minister and his lawyers said Tuesday.

Prosecutors concluded that Sharpton's substantial tax problems were better handled as a civil matter by the Internal Revenue Service rather than in criminal court, his lawyers said.

The IRS and New York state and city tax agencies claim that Sharpton owes well more than $1 million in back taxes and penalties. His organization, the National Action Network, also faces a hefty tax bill.

Sharpton said that both he and the civil rights group would pay off their debts, clean up their books and complete a reorganization intended to ensure the group's long-term fiscal stability.

"We learn from every experience to be more cautious, more accountable," he told The Associated Press.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney in Brooklyn declined to comment.

The investigation was the latest in a string of government inquiries into Sharpton's finances, dating to his earliest days as a civil rights figure.

Each time, he has emerged unscathed. In the late 1980s he was acquitted of stealing from a nonprofit group. A state case accusing him of evading income taxes also fizzled; he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of failing to file a tax return and paid a small fine.

This latest investigation became public last year when several of Sharpton's aides received grand jury subpoenas. Law enforcement officials said the inquiry focused on potential tax violations and possible election law violations during Sharpton's 2004 run for president.

According to public tax filings and disclosure forms during his presidential campaign, he received little or no salary in recent years from the National Action Network. He earns several hundreds thousand dollars a year in personal income from his nationally syndicated radio show, book royalties and speaking fees.

Sharpton said Tuesday he was glad to be in the clear. "I'm just grateful to God and my family, and all of our supporters," he said.

Sharpton's civil rights group had failed for several years in a row to file income tax returns, obtain workers compensation insurance, or disclose how much it was collecting in donations or paying its top employees, as required by law.

His lawyers said many of those problems have now been resolved, and both Sharpton and his group have also begun paying down their tax debts.

The end of the criminal probe was first reported Tuesday by the New York Daily News.

Michael Hardy, Sharpton's attorney, said he hoped the resolution of the criminal investigation would silence suggestions that the minister was profiting personally from the dealings of his nonprofit group.

"I think this really clears the air for everyone," Hardy said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The feds were just going after him because he was black anyway.

If my books were in that kind of shape, I'd be in a Federal Pen.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If I were a cynic, Id think this was just a Republican ploy to keep Obama out of the press and to silence Rev. Al for a while.
    Good thing Im not a cynic
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

None of the money he owes will come from his own pockets. If I owed over a million in back taxes and was a non-filer for several years I would be doing time. And this is not the first time hes done this. We are a country of laws
    EQUAL for everyone. The irony is if he was an elected official he would be the first one to call for more taxes on the books to solve societies ills.
    Last edited by edwardv; 07.22.08 at 02:34 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    The feds were just going after him because he was black anyway.

If my books were in that kind of shape, I'd be in a Federal Pen.

Do you mean that the reason they dropped it was he was black? Or do you mean that they did it in the first place was because he was black?

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    Do you mean that the reason they dropped it was he was black? Or do you mean that they did it in the first place was because he was black?
    I believe he was being sarcastic and speaking as if he were Sharpton who pretty much says everytime someone goes after a black person it is because of the color of their skin, not the crime.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

September 7, 2010
    An accounting firm hired by Al Sharpton's National Action Network found the civil-rights group in such financial disarray that it flunked its record-keeping -- and may not even survive, The New York Post has learned.

The scathing critique was spelled out in a hard-hitting internal audit of NAN's books, a copy of which was obtained by The Post.

"The organization has suffered recurring decreases in net assets -- and has been dependent upon advances from related parties and the nonpayment of payroll tax obligations -- to maintain continuity," the firm KBL concluded in an April 2 audit of NAN's 2008 financial records, the most recent available.

The audit, which was submitted to NAN's board of directors, warned, "These circumstances create substantial doubt about the organization's ability to continue."

KBL said it was "unable to form an opinion" on the accuracy of NAN's financial figures "because of inadequacies in the organization's accounting records."

In 2008, federal prosecutors decided to drop a criminal probe into the finances of Sharpton and NAN. But Sharpton -- who also has a lucrative syndicated radio show and a speech-making and consulting business -- agreed to pay back more than $2 million in overdue personal and NAN taxes.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/a...nBRAZagK0TgvwN
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I can't believe the IRS was even looking in to this fine upstanding, somewhat articulate black leader. I mean come on, this man is one of the most respected people in the community organizer world. The nerve of any branch of government or law enforcement for even thinking of investigating him.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Just give NAN 50 mil in the next stimulus bill.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    September 7, 2010
    An accounting firm hired by Al Sharpton's National Action Network found the civil-rights group in such financial disarray that it flunked its record-keeping -- and may not even survive, The New York Post has learned.

The scathing critique was spelled out in a hard-hitting internal audit of NAN's books, a copy of which was obtained by The Post.

"The organization has suffered recurring decreases in net assets -- and has been dependent upon advances from related parties and the nonpayment of payroll tax obligations -- to maintain continuity," the firm KBL concluded in an April 2 audit of NAN's 2008 financial records, the most recent available.

The audit, which was submitted to NAN's board of directors, warned, "These circumstances create substantial doubt about the organization's ability to continue."

KBL said it was "unable to form an opinion" on the accuracy of NAN's financial figures "because of inadequacies in the organization's accounting records."

In 2008, federal prosecutors decided to drop a criminal probe into the finances of Sharpton and NAN. But Sharpton -- who also has a lucrative syndicated radio show and a speech-making and consulting business -- agreed to pay back more than $2 million in overdue personal and NAN taxes.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/a...nBRAZagK0TgvwN
    As an auditor myself, a disclaimer of opinion is pretty bad, it pretty much says "their record keeping is so fucking bad we can't even tell whether they are just stupid, criminal, or both".

Bad record keeping and fraud many times go hand in hand. Not saying that it is in this case, but he has been delinquent on filings and taxes and under scrutiny for fraud since the late 1980's.

Twenty years of smoke usually means fire.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Reverend Tawana Brawley will forever be a race-baiting, tax-evading charlatan.

It's both pathetic that he's remained on the scene for as long as he has and entirely predictable that he's out there stumping for Charlie "Taxes? I only write them - I don't have to pay them" Rangle.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    As an auditor myself, a disclaimer of opinion is pretty bad, it pretty much says "their record keeping is so fucking bad we can't even tell whether they are just stupid, criminal, or both".
    I think the answer is really clear, BOTH!!!!!

HH<----Rev. Al skates again...............................--------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Does anyone here remember Morton Downey Jr. regularly ripping Sharpton's ass on his show? Good times!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Does anyone here remember Morton Downey Jr. regularly ripping Sharpton's ass on his show? Good times!
    Hell yes. Now, that was TV.

Stupid Lung Cancer.

Wish we had more people like him who weren't afraid of being so, "PC". Think our country is way overdue for some STRAIGHT FUCKING TALK!!!

HH<------Al Sharpton hates white people. K.West said "GW hates black people...". If he can that why can't I?--------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

05.27.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't even respond to this bullshit. Next........