Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default New Opening Weekend Box Office Record Set: $155-Million

'Dark Knight' sets opening weekend box office record

07-20-08 LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A Warner Bros. executive says the Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" has taken in $155.34 million to top "Spider-Man 3" for best opening weekend ever at the box office.

Heath Ledger as the Joker and Christian Bale as Batman are breaking box office records with "The Dark Knight."

The figures released Sunday show "The Dark Knight" more than $4 million ahead of the $151.1 million first weekend for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007.

Studio distribution chief Dan Fellman says "The Dark Knight" also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.

Stoked by fan fever over the manic performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, "The Dark Knight" also set a one-day box office record with $66.4 million on opening day, Fellman said Saturday.

The movie's Friday haul surpassed the previous record of $59.8 million set last year by "Spider-Man 3." iReport.com: Did you see 'Dark Knight'?

"The Dark Knight" began with a record $18.5 million from midnight screenings, topping the previous high of $16.9 million for "Star Wars: Episode III -- The Revenge of the Sith."

The opening day grosses for "The Dark Knight" far exceeded the full weekend haul of its predecessor, "Batman Begins," which took in $48.7 million in its first three days in 2005.

"We've really never seen anything like this," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "The death of a fine actor taken in his prime, a legendary performance and a movie that lives up to all the hype. That all combined to create these record-breaking numbers."

Buzz had been high for the Batman sequel well before Ledger died of an accidental prescription-drug overdose in January. Trailers last fall revealing Ledger's demented Joker, with crooked clown makeup, turned up the heat even more. The critical acclaim over his performance that built from advance screenings left fans in a frenzy.

"It's a combination of things. Certainly, that's a great part of it, but I think this movie's gross was partly because of the reviews it received and the incredible buzz and word of mouth that preceded it with our early screenings," Fellman said. "And the success and quality of the last one, 'Batman Begins,' delivered by Chris Nolan just set the tone for the opening of this movie."

"The Dark Knight" reunites Christian Bale as Batman, the vigilante crime-fighter tormented by personal tragedy, and co-stars Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Gary Oldman.

The film spins an epic crime duel as Ledger's Joker orchestrates a reign of terror on the city of Gotham aimed to spread chaos and break down the restraint that keeps Batman on the right side of the law.

Although critics are taking the film seriously enough to suggest that Ledger could be in line for an Academy Award nomination, the action-packed movie also delivers as pure summer movie escapism.

"If you're worried about mortgage payments and gas prices, when you're sitting in 'The Dark Knight' for two and a half hours, you're not thinking about any of that stuff," Dergarabedian said.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm not one who gets too into the hype of opening weekend movie figures. Rarely is inflation taken into consideration, so of course it keeps getting broken every year or two. This one will be broken next year or the year after, and it'll be the "big news" of the week then as well. Whatever...

Although I did contribute to this newest "record."

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

You're right. The average ticket price is $0.20 higher now, so Spidey actually sold about 20,000 more tickets than Dark Knight.

I have to say though, that I think the first two Spiderman movies were so lame that I didn't even see the 3rd. I actually LIKE these Batman movies.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Dark Knight is my new favorite movie...I liked it so much I saw it 3 times!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    You're right. The average ticket price is $0.20 higher now, so Spidey actually sold about 20,000 more tickets than Dark Knight.

I have to say though, that I think the first two Spiderman movies were so lame that I didn't even see the 3rd. I actually LIKE these Batman movies.
    Let's also take into account, DK is longer than Spidey- 2.5 hours versus, what 2, max for Spidey? So that's less showings for DK versus Spidey.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

the movie was fan fuckin tastic!! I saw It twice this weekend, I loved Spiderman, Ironman, and The Dark Knight Is my favorite so far!!

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who would have ever guessed that one of the main stars in the world's highest grossing first weekend release would off himself before it was released?

How sad.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by csm5150 View Post
    Let's also take into account, DK is longer than Spidey- 2.5 hours versus, what 2, max for Spidey? So that's less showings for DK versus Spidey.
    That may not be true. With all the midnight showings and all (5 at my theatre and I live in a town of only about 60,000 people), and maybe starting earlier, they could have had the same amount.

Either way, it's worth considering, so good point.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    Who would have ever guessed that one of the main stars in the world's highest grossing first weekend release would off himself before it was released?

How sad.

Ledger did not commit suicide. It truly was an accidental overdose of various prescription drugs he was on. Most of what was in his system was various "safe" drugs like sleeping pills and anti-depressants. It turned out to be a lethal combination that day, though. I think the rather liberal way in which doctors prescribe and patients accept and take drugs is what really should've been in question following Ledger's untimely death.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

DUH !!!!!

Any movie that does well these days will break all records...same as concerts. A year ago ticket prices were lower, so even if less people attend, the top line sales will be higher...example 10 x $7 = $70 / 9 x $8 = $72

Also, this movie wouldn't be as popular if Heath Ledger was alive. We wouldn't be focusing as much on his performance or the movie if he hadn't pass on. I do believe the movie would be VERY popular, but not as much. The Heath Ledger tragedy just added to the overall hype and publicity of the movie.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h*bunter View Post
    DUH !!!!!

Any movie that does well these days will break all records...same as concerts. A year ago ticket prices were lower, so even if less people attend, the top line sales will be higher...example 10 x $7 = $70 / 9 x $8 = $72

Also, this movie wouldn't be as popular if Heath Ledger was alive. We wouldn't be focusing as much on his performance or the movie if he hadn't pass on. I do believe the movie would be VERY popular, but not as much. The Heath Ledger tragedy just added to the overall hype and publicity of the movie.
    Very true. However...after seeing the movie...Ledger's performance wouldn't have changed.

But definitely the publicity and hype wouldn't have been SO large.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The thing that a record like that tells me is that I made the righ choice not to see it this weekend because of the crowds. Call me old/grumpy but I can't stand even a 1/2 full auditorium. There will inevitably be a group of noisy kids and a few cell phones disrupting things. I'll wait a week or two.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Dave
    Last Online

11.16.12 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    The thing that a record like that tells me is that I made the righ choice not to see it this weekend because of the crowds. Call me old/grumpy but I can't stand even a 1/2 full auditorium. There will inevitably be a group of noisy kids and a few cell phones disrupting things. I'll wait a week or two.
    I'm with ya on that one. I can't stand crowds, and I can't stand rude people...and usually they go hand-in-hand. And not only are there noisy kids (which I can understand) but there's always those dumbass parents who take kids that are WAY too young to see movies like this, but they do it anyway.....

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the truly great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"Edward?.....thank ya." ~ Could This Be Magic

"The attitude is we live and let live. This is actually an amazing change in values in a rather short time and it's an example of freedom from religion."
    ~ Thomas Wolfe

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csm5150 View Post
    Actually The Dark Knight is only 10 minutes longer than Spidey 3. And I'm sure that last year's Spiderman 3 was in about as many theaters as TDK was this year when it opened.
    To be honest, even with slight inflation over a year, I'm surprised it was still as close as it was.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

It's made 155 million, but did anybody catch how much it cost to make - approximately 195 million. They'll probably make it up and then some next weekend.

I'm of the mind to wait a few weeks to see blockbusters like TDK. Can't stand big crowds.

I saw Hancock 2 weeks ago and there was a baby crying for a short time, but a baby crying non-the-less. DON'T GO SEE A FUCKING MOVIE IF YOU CAN'T FIND A BABY SITTER. Not to mention, some of the language in Hancock is inappropriate for kids. I wouldn't take my kid to see TDK because he would be having nightmares for weeks to come.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle