Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.17.10 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Gibson Les Paul Axcess - Back on?

Haven't posted around here much, but have enjoyed the hell out of the forums...always makes for an interesting, and usually hilarious, read!

Anyhow, anyone here familiar with the on again/off again Gibson Les Paul Axcess? This is a Custom Shop LP which will feature a Floyd Rose trem instead of the tried and true stoptail, Burstbucker Pro pickups, and what seems to be a Les Paul Standard vibe. Alex Lifeson was spotted playing a prototype of this guitar during the recent Rush tour, and there's several vids on YouTube of him playing a rather gorgeous figured top Axcess when Rush played on Colbert's show the other night...

What's your take on this? I know that routing an LP for a Floyd is as unholy as the pea soup Linda Blair projectile purged during "The Exorcist", but, I've always thought it was a great update of a great tradition. I own a Neal Schon Sig Les Paul, which also has a Floyd, and it has probably the most uniquely "rock and roll" vibe of any LP I've played.

I don't want to incur the rath of the LP diehards, just interested in what the guitar players 'round here think of these, which if the Gibson Forum Moderator is to be believed, have now started production. Time will tell...

EBMM Axis and Les Paul Axcess...hmmm....
    www.tunecore.com/music/brandonkeirns

The most important pieces of musical gear are the ones you can't buy; your hands, your head, and your heart.

I can't "think" my way to a great riff, I can only "feel" it when I hear it...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.08.08 @ 08:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's an awesome idea and am all for it. Then again, I'm not a purist.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd love to see that happen!

How do you like your Neal Schon model?
    Those are badass guitars.
    I'd love to see some pics.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you search for "Neal Schon Les Paul" over at YouTube, you should find two vids of me playing my NS Goldtop. It's an amazing guitar! The Burstbucker roars, the Sustainer sings, the Floyd is impeccably set up, and the DiMarzio Fast Track in the neck position (next to the Sustainer) has nice strat-like quack...all in all, the best LP I've ever played...

The most important pieces of musical gear are the ones you can't buy; your hands, your head, and your heart.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this you? ...

Nice tone.
    Sustainer sounds cool as hell too.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, that's me. I'm playing through a Line 6 Vetta in that clip. Most of the tones in that amp are so-so, but, their model of a Marshall JMP-1 (which is what you hear in that clip) is amazing! I just dial in a little delay from the amp, and go.

By the way, I have a question for you, Dino. I've checked out your Guitar Works site, and am tremendously impressed with your skills. Your repair work is incredible, and your finishes are insanely good. Have you done much work in retrofitting carved tops with a Floyd? I have a PRS Singlecut that was built with their trem in it, but it doesn't do much for me. I'd much rather have a non-recessed style Floyd dropped in it. Since its carved top, I assume it would still need to be "sunken" into the body a bit, like the Peavey EVH Wolfgang trem was. A locking nut and string retainer would need added also. Could you do something like this? You can send me a PM to discuss this further, if you'd like.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey quilt, where in NH are you from? Are you in a band? I'm looking to put something good together and you sound really good. Send me a PM if your interested...
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!