Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Anyone had this dtuna problem

when i first got it everything works great. then after a few months the fine wrench wouldnt work it was like the edges rounded off. so i get another one and same thing. i just bought a new 1.5 today and it dosent work at all. are the wrenches rounding off since there so small or is the set screw stripped. i can get a new set screw but its prettty fustrating. the wrench that came with it is a piece of shit i think.

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

I'm ripping mine off. It sucks. I am sick of screwing with it. Everytime I break a string I have to mess with it to make it even come close to being in tune.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A thing i have noticed guys is, the ones that come on the wolfies( USA made ) is a far superior one than the one you can buy !! I have to constantly adjust the ones that i have fitted ( bought) , but the ones on the wolfies seem to be made ( machined ) a lot better .

I have had a lot of problems with the string locking screw as well !!

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default But...

...if you look at the Dtuna sticky above, you'll read that the manufacturer of the aftermarket ones claims that the Peavey ones and the aftermarket ones are exactly the same unit! Dare you defy AP International?!?

I can confirm that they ARE different. The one on my US Wolfgang appears to be machined from hardened steel. The knurling is MUCH cleaner/ sharper. My aftermarket ones all seem to have been cast.

I have had the "rounded-off wrench" issue as well. Fortunately, the one that came with my US Wolfgang seems to be harder (hmm, imagine that...), and still works well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Bought mine two years ago, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a complete piece of crap! I think the idea is great, but for the 75 bones it cost me it's just not worth it. I hav'nt had the rounding over issue, but what has been a problem since day one was it coming out of tune from the natural vibration of the guitar. The set screw would vibrate and loosen, soooooooooo what I ended up having to do was buy some blue Permatex gasket silicone and dab it in the threads and set the string up (intonate and fine tune the detuna and let it sit) This works well but for the money you would expect a better quality product as far as the machining. Real sloppy. I can get a few string changes out of each application of the Permatex, but jeez....not right!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

I finally just removed the Dtuna off of my Frankie copy. The damn thing never stayed in tune and when I tried to go to D...it was always out of tune.

If I even thought about using the whammy bar it went out of tune.

Great idea...just doesnt work in practice.

I'm much happier without it now.

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

You can make them work, you just have to f with them all the time. I'm not all about that. I want to pick up my guitar and play it.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.14.10 @ 04:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar View Post
    You can make them work, you just have to f with them all the time. I'm not all about that. I want to pick up my guitar and play it.
    I tried to set mine several times and finnaly drcised dropped D tuning is for pussies.. LOL.. kidding, I was thinking of takeing mine off my Wolfie, but as long as i dont engage it, it dosent mess with anything, Floyd is working fine & it stays in tune perfectly well, just cant drop the D

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hmmm...I've got 4 D-Tunas, one on a Wolf Standard, two on Wolf Specials, and one on a 5150 replica (the only one that is aftermarket) and I've never had much of a problem with any of 'em. As long as they're set up (yes, they do take a bit of initial tweaking when you change strings) and maintained properly (cleaned & oiled), mine have always worked just fine...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Hmmm...I've got 4 D-Tunas, one on a Wolf Standard, two on Wolf Specials, and one on a 5150 replica (the only one that is aftermarket) and I've never had much of a problem with any of 'em. As long as they're set up (yes, they do take a bit of initial tweaking when you change strings) and maintained properly (cleaned & oiled), mine have always worked just fine...
    Like I said for me it was just slop in the machining of the screw or the tapping into the body. The screw just kind of wobbles in there. Once I apply the gasket sealer it works great, but again for me, you pay a certain amount for quality, and when you don't get it and the store won't honour a sale, it kind of ruins the enjoyment. Good conversation piece though! Haha!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Like I said for me it was just slop in the machining of the screw or the tapping into the body. The screw just kind of wobbles in there. Once I apply the gasket sealer it works great, but again for me, you pay a certain amount for quality, and when you don't get it and the store won't honour a sale, it kind of ruins the enjoyment. Good conversation piece though! Haha!
    + 1 !! very sloppy machined !!

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

No exp. w/ the aftermarket D-tunas but in reference to the threaded hole being sloppy, you may consider having it drilled & tapped for the next size set screw. I don't have my WG in front of me so I don't know what size screw it is.

$.02

Ted
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    No exp. w/ the aftermarket D-tunas but in reference to the threaded hole being sloppy, you may consider having it drilled & tapped for the next size set screw. I don't have my WG in front of me so I don't know what size screw it is.

$.02

Ted
    Yeah I thought about that, but the body is a cast piece and I was more concerned with possibly cracking or distorting during the clamping and drilling. Seriously though I usually have gasket silicone around as I also work on old muscle cars, it's no big deal really. I guess I could. I honestly don't rely on the gizmo enough. Sometimes I honestly forget I put the damn thing on!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Indeed. The D-Tunas only function well when ALL the aspects of your guitar setup are properly adjusted. If the trem is sitting flat against the body (like on a Wolfgang Special) I've found this to make a slight difference in that the D-Tuna seems to shift the bridge very slightly and knock the other strings out of tune. Why and how this happens I don't know. (Spring tension? Pivot bolt height? Saddles shifting? I just don't know.) Again, if your setup is good the affect is minimal.

I imagine Peavey probably did a quality check on all the outgoing D-Tunas, because all of the factory Wolfgangs had no problems with the D-Tunas. The over-chromed shaft problem that is entirely TOO common on the aftermarket ones is a stupid and ridiculous quality control issue; for a tiny device that costs THAT much, it should work right away with NO modifications necessary. Of the six or so D-Tunas I've bought, half have had that issue. That's ridiculous.