Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default More Than One in Four American Adults Now Obese

ATLANTA — The South tips the scales again as the nation's fattest region, according to a new government survey.

More than 30 percent of adults in Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee are considered obese. In part, experts blame Southern eating habits, poverty and demographic groups that have higher obesity rates.

Colorado was the least obese, with about 19 percent fitting that category in a random telephone survey done last year by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The 2007 findings are similar to results from the same survey the three previous years. Mississippi has had the highest obesity rate every year since 2004. But Alabama, Tennessee, West Virginia and Louisiana have also clustered near the top of the list, often so close that the difference between their rates and Mississippi's may not be statistically significant.

The South has had high death rates from heart disease and stroke, health risks that have been linked to obesity, some experts noted.

The CDC study only surveyed adults, but results for kids are similar, said Dr. Miriam Vos, assistant professor of pediatrics at Atlanta's Emory School of Medicine.

"Most of the studies of obesity and children show the South has the highest rates as well," Vos said.

Why is the South so heavy? The traditional Southern diet — high in fat and fried food — may be part of the answer, said Dr. William Dietz, who heads CDC's nutrition, physical activity and obesity division.

The South also has a large concentration of rural residents and black women — two groups that tend to have higher obesity rates, he said.

The study found that about 36 percent of black survey participants were obese, while 28.5 percent of Hispanics and 24.5 percent of whites were.

High poverty rates in the South probably are another factor, said Naa Oyo Kwate, assistant professor of sociomedical sciences at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health.

In today's America, poor people tend to be obese: The cheapest foods tend to be calorie-heavy, and stores offering healthier, and more expensive, food choices are not often found in poor neighborhoods, she said.

And why is Colorado so thin? It's a state with a reputation for exercise. It has plentiful biking and hiking trails, and an elevation that causes the body to labor a bit more, Dietz said.

Obesity is based on the body mass index, a calculation using height and weight. A 5-foot, 9-inch adult who weighs 203 pounds would have a BMI of 30, which is considered the threshold for obesity.

CDC officials believe the telephone survey of 350,000 adults offers conservative estimates of obesity rates, because it's based on what respondents said about their height and weight. Men commonly overstate their height and women often lowball their weight, health experts say.

"The heavier you are, the more you underestimate your weight, probably because you don't weigh yourself as often," Dietz said.

Overall, about 26 percent of the respondents were obese, according to the study, published this week in CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

A different CDC survey — a gold-standard project in which researchers actually weigh and measure survey respondents — put the adult obesity rate at 34 percent in 2005 and 2006.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Yep. We are all a bunch of fat asses.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

No shit....this is pretty much what my doc recently told me...I need to lose weight. I responded with "So you're saying that if you were gay you wouldn't want to fuck me?" He spit his juice on the floor laughing and didn't answer the question. He also told me my sugar was borderline, my cholesterol was sky high and get this......my EKG showed that somewhere along the line I had a heart attack. I was like....... ........the only thing I could say was I must of been shitfaced and slept thru it.

BTW.....am I the only one who finds the girl in the pic incredibly attractive?
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    No shit....this is pretty much what my doc recently told me...I need to lose weight. I responded with "So you're saying that if you were gay you wouldn't want to fuck me?" He spit his juice on the floor laughing and didn't answer the question. He also told me my sugar was borderline, my cholesterol was sky high and get this......my EKG showed that somewhere along the line I had a heart attack. I was like....... ........the only thing I could say was I must of been shitfaced and slept thru it.

BTW.....am I the only one who finds the girl in the pic incredibly attractive?

Lol...Darkstar I worry about you sometimes....you have problems....hilarious....but still.

In all honesty it's really not that hard to get in shape if you set your mind to it. All it takes is cutting down on sugar (the devil), saturated fats, and caloric intake. Get your calories from better, healthier foods, incorporate 30 minutes of cardio, 15 minutes of strength training 5 times a week, and most of your health problems will fix themselves without medication.

I've always said if they could make a miracle drug, it'd be exercise in a pill. It's utterly amazing how you feel when the endorphins kick in. It's addictive.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

No sugar = a very pissed of Zeo. I need my Mountain Dew!!!

I do need to work out more. I used to work out 4 days a week, but since getting married and now having a baby at home, it is really tough to find time to get my fat ass on the treadmill.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

My problem is, I'm a "competitive" exerciser. There's no way in hell you'll get me to run around the block - ain't happening (well, maybe if someone or something that intends me harm is chasing me...). But I outrun (persistence wise, not speed wise) my damn kids when we go to the park to play baseball. Unfortunately I don't get the opportunity to do that often enough.

I have managed to hack away 30 pounds since February, but I'd really love to kill 25 more.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for worrying about me Kimmie, you're a sweety. I'm the first to admit my warped sense of humor is "concerning". On a serious note, I have started to watch what I eat and have started spending time on Mrs. Darkstars treadmill. It's been a week and a half and I keep looking in the mirror with desperation saying "So when do I get skinny"?
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoBandit View Post
    No sugar = a very pissed of Zeo. I need my Mountain Dew!!!

I do need to work out more. I used to work out 4 days a week, but since getting married and now having a baby at home, it is really tough to find time to get my fat ass on the treadmill.

Lol...a little sugar every now and then is ok. If you eat it every day, it causes a vicious cycle. You become dependent on it for energy, then you crash, and feel like crap until the next sugar rush. The very best way to get energy is carbs (healthy carbs, like raw vegetables) period. Carbs are fuel for our bodies, it's what our bodies have to have for energy.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Vegetables? EEEWWWWWW!!!!!!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    Thanks for worrying about me Kimmie, you're a sweety. I'm the first to admit my warped sense of humor is "concerning". On a serious note, I have started to watch what I eat and have started spending time on Mrs. Darkstars treadmill. It's been a week and a half and I keep looking in the mirror with desperation saying "So when do I get skinny"?

You're welcome, I care about everybody...pretty much. It really depends on how much exercising you are doing. Hang in there, you should start seeing results within a month (if you're doing it on your own, without a trainer). You're goal should be to lose no more than 4 lbs, a week. That's the healthiest way.....slow but steady.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Vegetables? EEEWWWWWW!!!!!!

Lol....Fine then Zeo, do you like sweet baked potatoes with cinnamon? Sweet potatoes are loaded with good carbs. You can add just a bit of butter too. You've got to have a little fat for your brain to function right.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

I was being a little sarcastic with the veggie remark. I eat balanced meals.

I love corn, especially corn on the cob. Beans are good too.

And if I had my way, I'd rather have that baked potato with butter and sour cream. That way any nutritional advantages are negated.

Not a big fan of sweet potatoes.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I was being a little sarcastic with the veggie remark. I eat balanced meals.

I love corn, especially corn on the cob. Beans are good too.

And if I had my way, I'd rather have that baked potato with butter and sour cream. That way any nutritional advantages are negated.

Yes Zeo, I know you were being sarcastic.....that's part of the reason why I like you.

Good for you! I'll take the butter, but no sour cream. YUCK!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You might try serving them like mashed potatoes. Boil the sweet potatoes then whip them with a little butter and milk - fantastic stuff, IMO.

Sweet potatoes are chock full of vitamins and other health benefits, and the sweet taste only makes it that much better.

Yams, on the other hand, have almost no nutritional value. Go figure.