The Classic 6 Pack...Pick One!
    Favorite VH Song

Lil Gtrs,GirlGB,WinLove,RomDe
    Last Online

02.23.12 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Lefsetz/VH DVD information

Found this little nugget in the latest Bob Lefsetz newsletter. Not much I know, but in this time of 'no information', its something to chew on... For those of you that dont know who he is, he writes an online newsletter about music. Hes pretty interesting actually...

Anyhoo...every once in a while he will do a post about week ending sales figures and make comments about various artists/albums that he choses to spot light. This particular comment was made under the new Journey CD he gave information on...

18. Journey "Revelation"

Sales this week: 23,778
    Percentage change: -4%
    Cume: 308,777

And that's what it is!

Not the incredible pipes of their Filipino lead singer, but the PRICE!

Irving's the leader on this... He told me if Dave signed off on it, he was going to put out a Van Halen DVD for $7.99!

Maybe I'm talking out of school here, not that Irving said this was off the record, but this is a very important point. PRICE MATTERS! Stop weeping over the death of the CD, the declining margins, and just lower the damn price so music becomes an impulse item. Lower the price enough and it doesn't PAY to steal!

And you wonder why the established acts would rather go with Irving and Wal-Mart than Doug and Universal. Wal-Mart pays, the act gets the lion's share of the money and the customer is HAPPY!

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/

There you go...for what its worth...

Peace
    Last edited by jimithing5150; 07.16.08 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added link...sorry

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member

very interesting read...would be nice

all that said, Dave signing off on a 7.99 DVD is a very big IF...
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_14 View Post

Why so? He sold out to do the tour so it's not a stretch.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:32 AM
    Liked 2,075 Times in 672 Posts

Good news.
    All the way around.

The VAN HALEN DVD was recorded AND it may be released at a low price.
    I don't care if it's 7.99 or 17.99 or 27.99.

We're hearing some stuff about it already, that's great. I figured we wouldn't hear anything til Fall.

A great sounding VH dvd with Dave from the end of this tour when Eddie was playing magnificently. Those classic songs, pro shot with killer sound.

Romeo Delight, Mean Street, Hot For Teacher, And The Cradle Will Rock, I'm the Fuckin' One...

Awesome.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

ALL SIX!!!
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 08:40 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

I'm in.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_14 View Post

Some of these musician types need to realize that it's better to get paid their normal percentage of a smaller retail price, then to get paid 100% of NOTHING.

I keep hearing older rockers say "we can't make any money from CD's anymore, only from touring".

Yeah, you damn sure can't make any from CD's if you FREAKING NEVER PUT ONE OUT.

I seriously doubt they can't make any money...they just can't make the same profit margin they used to. Tough shit. That's the way it is now.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Last Online

Eagles Manager Azoff Partners With Wal-Mart to Promote Band's New Album By Roy Trakin

Published: May 19, 2008

IRVING AZOFF
    CHAIRMAN, AZOFF MUSIC MANAGEMENT

The Eagles' contract with Warner Music Group had lapsed, so for the release of "Long Road Out of Eden," Azoff Music Management Chairman Irving Azoff found another outlet with a mega-reach among consumers: Wal-Mart.

Like all other groups, the Eagles weighed their futures against the backdrop of an industry flailing in its transition from physical product to digital distribution. U.S. album sales dropped 36% between 1999 and 2007, almost 15% last year alone, according to Nielsen Sound-Scan. Some 3,100 record stores around the country have closed since 2003, according to market researcher Almighty Institute of Music Retail, including all 89 Tower Records.

But the group also navigated these uncertain waters from a position of strength, putting them in a position to make bold moves. The Eagles are certified by the Recording Industry Association of America as the best-selling American rock band ever, with 100 million albums shipped.

"We looked at a number of different options," says Mr. Azoff, a highly successful manager whose clients include Van Halen, Christina Aguilera and Steely Dan. Those choices included going through a major distributor or supplying the major retail accounts themselves on a nonexclusive basis. "But we wanted to have control over the final product and how it was marketed" to Eagles fans.

Talks with Wal-Mart Stores Exec VP-Chief Merchandising Officer John Fleming and VP-Division Merchandising Manager David Porter, the point man for all music and movies at the chain, led to an exclusive deal with what Mr. Azoff refers to as "in excess of $20 million in promotion and advertising support. ... No record label in history could spend that kind of money on a release."

A one-time label head at MCA, Mr. Azoff saw that Wal-Mart's sheer numbers could not be beat. CDs were placed in strategic locations at checkout counters in the chain's 6,500 stores for impulse buys, with accompanying in-store TV and end-cap displays, reaching the majority of Wal-Mart's 140 million visitors per week. The chain's weekly circular reached 85 million consumers and advertised the exclusive sale of the album. Wal-Mart supported the band's environmental initiative by using Rainforest Alliance-approved recycled paper in the packaging.

As part of the deal, the Eagles placed "Long Road Out of Eden," their first studio effort since 1979's "The Long Run," on their own Eagles Recording Co. and, more important, retained control of the master recordings.

Even with a price point of $11.88, low for a double CD, the Eagles effort will earn more money from worldwide sales than any album in history, Mr. Azoff says, adding that the project will net the band $50 million, with 4 million units shipped in the U.S. and 8 million sold worldwide (distributed by Universal Music Group).

However, "even that pales in comparison with what we can make on the road," he says, as the band is in the midst of a sold-out world tour. "This was more about control of our recordings than anything else."

- Buddha

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

Check this out... another classic post by Bob:

----------------------
    Sacrifice

I just donít understand the mentality. Wherein people believe they DESERVE THEIR DESIRE!

You can play basketball your whole life and never play for the Lakers. And you arenít even gonna make the college team unless youíre tall enough and work hard enough.

Why does everybody believe you can be a music star instantly? Why does everybody believe if you do the work, youíll succeed?

Maybe itís reality TV. Maybe itís Perez and TMZ. If other no-talents make it, you think you should too.

Or maybe itís Clive Davis. Saying donít bother to write. Or the prevalence of auto-tune.

I just donít get it.

In the sixties we all wanted to BE the Beatles, but we never truly dreamed this could be a reality. We werenít talented enough. We werenít good-looking enough. Our voices werenít good enough. Hell, weíd rather go out and play baseball and talk to girls than stay home every night and practice our instrumentÖwith no guarantee of success!

Even the Beatles slugged it out. For years in Hamburg. If the Beatles had to pay their dues, if Capitol initially passed on selling their music in the States, what in hell makes you think YOU should make it??

Youíve got to be talented. If certain athletes are genetically built to climb mountains, to accomplish the almost unimaginable, what makes you think Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen donít have something youíll NEVER have. And Bob Dylan made it with a unique voice, but heís the best lyricist of all time. Do you have a voice as good as Paul McCartneyís? As rich as John Lennonís? That melts hearts when youíre singing the phone book? If not, chances are YOU CANíT MAKE IT!

Can you write "Walk Away Renee"? Or "Satisfaction"? Or "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? Do people hear your music once and become fans, or do you have to pester them, foist demos upon them, beg them to be your MySpace friend?

Sure, youíve got to be Net-savvyÖ But youíve also got to be good. No, great. And sometimes even THAT ainít enough.

So thereís a Guitar Center in your neighborhood. You learned to play your instrument via the tabs online. Your college or city has an open mic night. SO FUCKING WHAT! Just because I can sail a boat doesnít mean I can be an Americaís Cup skipper.

Just because I read the "New York Times" doesnít mean I can truly debate Paul Krugman regarding economics. The guyís a fucking Ph.D. for godís sake. How many years did he go to college? Eight? Ten? How many years have you been out on the road? Two? And you think you deserve success? Youíre frustrated that your unique gifts, which arenít so unique, havenít been recognized?

Do you know how badly Madonna wanted it? Come on. Do you have that pure desire? Are you willing to give up marriage, kids, a pension all in the HOPE of making it?

Are you willing to tour for years, not only honing your chops, but building a fan base?

Are you willing to work on your career instead of watching TV and drinking beer?

Shit, thereís room for a zillion lawyers. Thatís seven years past high school, but at least there are a bunch of openings. But how many openings for music star ARE THERE? Why do you think YOUíRE ENTITLED?

Fire up that famous track from the second AC/DC album, "Itís A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock ĎNí Roll)". That was released FIVE YEARS before "Back In Black". And, that track is as good as anything ON "Back In Black". Shit, the American record company didnít even bother releasing "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" in AmericaÖ Or the bandís very first record. They figured there was no DEMAND!

It takes SACRIFICE! If youíre making a house paymentÖ Shit, if youíve got HEALTH insurance and youíre bitching you havenít made it yet, youíre not playing for real. True wannabe stars will forgo ANYTHING! Theyíll eat ramen FOR YEARS, all in the HOPE of making it. Thatís right, thereís no guarantee.

I guess it was better one way in the old days. These losers didnít have a voice. There was no Net for them to complain on. They couldnít afford to make a record and they got a day job and gave up their fantasy. But now, everybodyís bitching he didnít get his turn. Shit, just because you got a trophy for being on the soccer team, which came in last place, THAT DOESNíT MEAN YOUíRE ENTITLED TO BE A MUSIC STAR!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Well, let's hope Azoff can talk the guys into this, and even a new recording? If the Eagles can sell 8 million units worldwide with the Walmart deal, what would a new VH cd do? They'd at least have another double platinum for the collection.
    Last edited by sinner's swing; 07.16.08 at 09:45 PM.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    Well, let's hope Azoff can talk the guys into this. If the Eagles can sell 8 million units worldwide with the Walmart deal, what would a new VH cd do?
    With this new very solid distribution model and with Irving manning the "VH bridge" maybe our boys have the needed impetus to give it one more shot here...

Could it be a sweet 2009?

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,475 Times in 900 Posts

Why not a DVD just in time for Christmas!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

- Buddha

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is interesting news to say the least. Money is definitely the language the band speaks, money talks and bs walks and all that good stuff. Laying out a successful strategy in which the band can do both, sell a DVD and market a profitable CD with new music, Azoff has eliminated the majority of the obstacles. Come on Eddie, show us whatcha got.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 623 Times in 291 Posts

They have to see the big picture. Making a little on a DVD and a little on CD will lead to making a ton on a tour supporting the new CD.
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Arzoff is managing Fleetwood mac too, and is negotiating a deal with Walmart for their next studio album.
    Beleive me, I think VH could be in good hands. You never know, a CD could be coming and VH could do the Walmart thing too.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977