Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default What would you do? Guitar Center content...

Hi there,

As you might have seen I bought an EVH 5150 III amp head the other day. I hadnt hooked up the footpedal until the other night.

Well it turns out that the footpedal is broken and I cant shut off the effects loop. It stays on and the light is on the whole time. When I try to press it the amp makes a hum noise until I let it go then it stops...

So, I went to GC and brought the footpedal with me to see if it was the pedal or the amp. The footpedal did the same thing with another EVH head so I knew it wasnt my new amp.

I tell the salesguy that I want another one and that I would take the other pedal from the other head they have at the store. They give me some crock story that they cant find the other pedal and that I need to get a new one because they dont have anymore amps in stock at the store.

Well, it's been 3 days and nothing. No info...no calls on it...and I have a broken footpedal with a almost $2k charge on my AMEX.

I called around to other GCs and they do have the amp in stock at other stores. Plus MusiciansFriend has it in stock and said they will match the GC price.

What would you do? Should I give the salesguy the benefit of the doubt that he is working on it (he is a nice guy and works in their high end room).

Or, should I order it from MF and upon arrival with all parts working...return the amp to GC. It's only been since Saturday that I bought the amp at GC.

A friend of mine said "it's just the footpedal...i'm sure you can wait a week or so to get it". Am I over reacting?

Would like your thoughts before I do something I will regret. Thanks

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

he's not working on it for you. go down there and pitch a fit until you get a new one. for that price, it should work and if it didn't. then they owe you a new one. simple as that.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take the amp back & tell him you want your money back. That should cause some movement, one way or another.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brand new 5150III and the pedal is broke? talk about a dissapointment. For that kinda moneynothing should be broke.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Go up the foodchain if the salesman won't help you...

Typical box store customer service...

You should've bought at a local dealer. I know the people here in my town have had no problem competing with the GC's and MF's of the world as far as price goes and the service after the sale is a shitpile better as well...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Go up the foodchain if the salesman won't help you...

Typical box store customer service...

You should've bought at a local dealer. I know the people here in my town have had no problem competing with the GC's and MF's of the world as far as price goes and the service after the sale is a shitpile better as well...
    Yep, i'm going above the guy's head tomorrow with the store manager.

As far as going to a local store...couldnt do it. Nobody has one in stock locally and Fender is on back order for the amp in white...plus it was a good deal and was not used in anyway...brand new in box that I unpacked.

It is odd that something new is broken but it's not unusual. Shit, I got a brand new BMW and it had something wrong with it. Had to go back for a computer upgrade or something 2 years ago. Shit happens and i'm cool with it...but they will give me a new one or it is going back fast.

Musicians Friend has one in stock so I will get it that way if they dont figure something out tomorrow.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

You can't bluff. Be ready and okay with giving it back if they don't play ball. As it is you shouldn't have to go back a second time.

I fucking hate Guitar Center.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great advice,
    Its all about customer service.
    I dont care how great my guitars are. If I dont have great customer service with what I do, I wont be doin what I do very long. I've seen more guys get burried just cause the customer service sucks.
    Customer service
    Customer service
    Customer service
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Last Online

update:

I got a vmail from the salesguy that he located a new unit and is having it shipped tomorrow. I'm glad I didn't do anything yet.

We'll see what else happens:..

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    update:

I got a vmail from the salesguy that he located a new unit and is having it shipped tomorrow. I'm glad I didn't do anything yet.

We'll see what else happens:..

Good news.

In the meantime ... have you opened up the footswitch to see if it may be a simple fix?

Granted, you should have received a footswitch that worked properly to begin with, but if it's a simple fix (loose wire, etc ..) it may give you peace of mind that if this salesman doesn't pull through, you'll at least have a footswitch that works.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    ...In the meantime ... have you opened up the footswitch to see if it may be a simple fix?

I'm all for fixing my own stuff too but this would void the warranty no?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    I'm all for fixing my own stuff too but this would void the warranty no?

What good is a warranty if nobody honors it?
    I'm just say'n ... worst case scenerio.

There can't be too much to that footswitch.
    If it were me, I would have tore it apart right then and there just out of curiousity ... warranty or no warranty.
    But that's just me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace View Post
    Take the amp back & tell him you want your money back. That should cause some movement, one way or another.
    Exactly! A loss of a sale speaks volumes over the bits and pieces of the amp. I guarantee you he's stringing you along for the "past reasonable time to return the item" kind of policy. Long and Mcquade in Canada follow the same sort of business practice. The only reason these companies continue to do business is because of their product lines. and buying power hence the lower prices for a retail outlet. Ultimately the products sell themselves. If you want customer service with honesty, GC is not the place to go. As said, sometimes you have to wage a raging fit to get satisfaction out of these guys!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

The only thing that makes Guitar Center worthwhile is the 30 day return policy. Take it back and if they won't either fix or replace the footswitch, get a refund.

On an unrelated note, I know a guy who spent $1600 on a Mesa Mk IV that was "new," yet someone had bought it, gigged it for two or three weeks, and returned it in less than perfect shape. GC cleaned it up and sold it as new. No point to the story other than they will take it back (and be careful when you buy from them).

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    What good is a warranty if nobody honors it?
    I'm just say'n ... worst case scenerio.

There can't be too much to that footswitch.
    If it were me, I would have tore it apart right then and there just out of curiousity ... warranty or no warranty.
    But that's just me.
    You know...I might pop it open later to see what's up but of course won't tell anyone this. I also will be getting a brand new amp too. I asked the guy if they are shipping a new pedal or a whole new amp/pedal and he said the whole thing is coming...

So, I told him I want it in the new box...will return the other one. I will open it at the store and fire it up to make sure all is working. Might be in tomorrow or next week at some point.

Will keep you posted. Thanks!