Register

Thread: Gibson BFG

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Gibson BFG

What do you guys think?
    Call me crazy, but I kinda like these guitars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

Last Online

07.25.08 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want one!

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

I actually had my heart set on buying one, because they I could never afford a regular Les Paul. I went to the local store and tried out 3, and they felt terrible. The wood on the neck felt moldy, and the overall feel was "slow". The bridge pickup route was not deep enough, so the pickup was sticking way too high out of the body, making any type of low action impossible without further routing. You can even see it on the ebay one you have linked. The metal plate that is on the back of the pickup is almost on top of the body. Even with high action, the strings were almost "fretting" out on the front edge of the bridge humbucker... Terrible design.

The pickups did sound pretty good, but unplugged was horrible, no sustain - playabilty was nowhere near where it needed to be to justify dropping a grand... Guitar = $500, Gibson name on headstock = $469 retail... Odd, the three I played didn't have a truss rod cover, and the top of the truss rod was all rusty... The whole "relic" thing is getting a little goofy...

Sorry, man... Just giving my honest opinion.
    Last edited by EJC; 07.16.08 at 11:44 AM.
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" drops on 122117
    Pre-order now on iTunes, Amazon, Google

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I actually had my heart set on buying one, because they I could never afford a regular Les Paul. I went to the local store and tried out 3, and they felt terrible. The wood on the neck felt moldy, and the overall feel was "slow". The bridge pickup route was not deep enough, so the pickup was sticking way too high out of the body, making any type of low action impossible without further routing. You can even see it on the ebay one you have linked. The metal plate that is on the back of the pickup is almost on top of the body. Even with high action, the strings were almost "fretting" out on the front edge of the bridge humbucker... Terrible design.

The pickups did sound pretty good, but unplugged was horrible, no sustain - playabilty was nowhere near where it needed to be to justify dropping a grand... Guitar = $500, Gibson name on headstock = $469 retail... Odd, the three I played didn't have a truss rod cover, and the top of the truss rod was all rusty... The whole "relic" thing is getting a little goofy...

Sorry, man... Just giving my honest opinion.
    Don't be sorry! ... this is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.
    I really like the choice of pickup combination, the textured top, and the "weathered" look.
    What I don't like is the round 50's neck carve, chambered body, and no inlays.
    I may still have to play one and check it out though.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

Definately worth checking out... The tops do look gorgeous in person, especially the gold one that I wanted... I'm sure you could fix the bridge pick-up route thing... I'm just really used to playing with super-low action, like 1/16" inch, so I didn't think I would find it to be a useful guitar (for me)...

I am really thinking about getting one of those Carvin custom made ones (someday)... Just waiting to see if the new Wolfgang's might be $750 street price...LOL... I see the new "Billy Corgan" strat (strat with fixed bidge and twinblade humbuckers) is going for $2,000. What a bargain. Thanks Fender!

BTW... Love this "review" of the Fender Franenstrat copy on music123:

"This guitar is amazing. I bought five of these and for the price, I can't see why you wouldn't. The neck is sleek, and the body is so dinged that when I'm done playing I just throw it against the wall because it won't make a difference. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Washburn Paul Stanley Signature though. Personally, I think that those guitars a built a little better than these."

~Peace
    Last edited by EJC; 07.16.08 at 12:49 PM.
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" drops on 122117
    Pre-order now on iTunes, Amazon, Google

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those guitars are UGLY !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just buy a cheaper one & throw it down some stairs, drag it down the road, take the covers off, & let it rain on it for a while, & you'll have a BFG, or BUG

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace View Post
    Those guitars are UGLY !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just buy a cheaper one & throw it down some stairs, drag it down the road, take the covers off, & let it rain on it for a while, & you'll have a BFG, or BUG
    Same could be said about the Frankenstien replica.
    Differences being about $24k and the fact that all the pickups on the BFG actually work.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I like the look. I recently decided I wanted the best Les Paul copy I could find. I'm in a garage band that records some, no gigs, I cannot justify the insane cost of a real LP.

I wound up with a Gibson SG faded. Paid 500 new @ guitar center. They were 579 and went up to 699, think they came back down some now. The second I saw them go up to 699 I went up and offered 500 and they took it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the bfg is perhaps the only les paul ive ever really liked the look of, but i have to admitt that playing one really didnt inspire me to part with my money either. the same old gibson issues popped up for me (i really hate 24.75 scale guitars) plus i would be worying when a pot was gonna die or when it was gonna need a re-fret. but if i'm honest they do look drop dead sexy.

i think the bridge pup sticking out too far could be a result of the maple top being thinner than a regular lp, gibson probably routed the body the same depth and put a thinner top on it, so now the pup's stand a little too proud...another example of gibsons extraordinary attention to detail.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Not my cup o tea at all. I cant say anything about playability but to me it's ugly as sin...

And Frankenstein was much better looking! In my opinion...

I did see some guys on the Les Paul Forum who clean these up and did something to the top and it came out light years better looking.

Enjoy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

love the clear plates on the back

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    I did see some guys on the Les Paul Forum who clean these up and did something to the top and it came out light years better looking.
    I'd be curious to see that ...
    Got a link?

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I'd be curious to see that ...
    Got a link?
    I knew you would ask for that! Doh!

I just checked the site and couldnt find the thread. it was a while ago and the guy refinished the top into a similar blue jean color finish (like PRS) and it looked great.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Same could be said about the Frankenstien replica.
    Differences being about $24k and the fact that all the pickups on the BFG actually work.

true that

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The black finish one is hideous, the other colors aren't too bad. Never played one though