Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 2,088 Times in 679 Posts

Default SICK EVH SOLO!!! -1976-

He is out of control!
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post

He is out of control!
    I have this boot as well...but why does it sound like they cut out the tapping part of Eruption?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Someone on youtube said that this is before he was doing the hammer ons.
    I dunno if that's true or not, didn't he start that around 74 or 75?

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

unreal!!!!
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    Someone on youtube said that this is before he was doing the hammer ons.
    I dunno if that's true or not, didn't he start that around 74 or 75?
    I have a couple other tunes from this bootleg. I have it listed from 1976. But I really don't know.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Yeah, a lot of his club days solos are really cool. They seem to be a lot more improvisational than later ones.

From listening to club days bootlegs I've been surprised at how late the tapping showed up. I think he may have started as late as 1976 or 1977.

His solo on 6/30/76 is possibly the best one I've heard. Can't remember if there is tapping in it or not.
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Last Online

From 5/9/1976

Amazing!

- Buddha

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

He's out of his mind there. We kind of take Eddie for granted now because we have all heard his playing so much. I feel like I know every single note the guy has ever played, so it's hard for him to surprise us any more. Imagine hearing that back in 76, when there was no "Eddie". It would have been only a few years since the death of Hendrix and the end of the Beatles. Zep was still a touring band in 76...then along comes this guy. I imagine a lot of people just didn't know what to think, it would have been pretty out there, even those used to Hendrix, and then he just keeps getting better and better and more innovative as the years go by. I'm still surprised at the excellent quality of the club recordings and the very early shows touring VH I. Some of them are just outstanding and thoroughly enjoyable because of their high quality. Thank God someone had the brains to record so many of these shows.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    He's out of his mind there. We kind of take Eddie for granted now because we have all heard his playing so much. I feel like I know every single note the guy has ever played, so it's hard for him to surprise us any more. Imagine hearing that back in 76, when there was no "Eddie". It would have been only a few years since the death of Hendrix and the end of the Beatles. Zep was still a touring band in 76...then along comes this guy. I imagine a lot of people just didn't know what to think, it would have been pretty out there, even those used to Hendrix, and then he just keeps getting better and better and more innovative as the years go by.
    SO true!
    It sounds SICK to me now, imagine back then?

Amazing.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    He's out of his mind there. We kind of take Eddie for granted now because we have all heard his playing so much. I feel like I know every single note the guy has ever played, so it's hard for him to surprise us any more. Imagine hearing that back in 76, when there was no "Eddie". It would have been only a few years since the death of Hendrix and the end of the Beatles. Zep was still a touring band in 76...then along comes this guy. I imagine a lot of people just didn't know what to think, it would have been pretty out there, even those used to Hendrix, and then he just keeps getting better and better and more innovative as the years go by. I'm still surprised at the excellent quality of the club recordings and the very early shows touring VH I. Some of them are just outstanding and thoroughly enjoyable because of their high quality. Thank God someone had the brains to record so many of these shows.

OK...it is stuff like this that on one hand, I absolutely LOVE to hear, but on the other hand truely bothers me because I am such a huge Edward fan. What I mean is this:

1. I love it because it is the times that he was the absolute freak that people could not put in any catagory. The part where he stops in the second cilp; you can tell he was stopping to see the faces they ALL had. And to be that particular human to come up with that has to be the most amazing feeling anyone can have. Mozart, Da Vinci, and all the true masters of their collective arts must have experienced this moment at some point in their lives. And to be able to hear this knid of stuff just cements my belief in this band and this guy.

2. It bothers me in the fact that in the first clip he uses an echo in a way that I have never heard in his Eruption Solo that absolutely works, but I can see how why he thinks the sustainer works now.

Yes...it was something he had obviously played many times before and might have grown tired of it simply b/c he had heard it more than any other person ever at that point. But he sounds like he was trying to push it to the proverbial 'next level.' It sounds fresh for that simple reason. And when he does 'something different' now it doesn't have that feel. I say that b/c I really do feel that he is not done with his fingerprint on the guitar universe and to know(in my mind) that he is resting on his laurels when it comes to this Ifeel cheated. I feel cheated in the sense that everyone I know that is truely a guitar fan that always say that he DID revolutionize(SP?) the whole thing, they have this look of condescending approval that I know is their belief that his imprint was 20 years ago and he really has nothing left to offer.

I know he does and his issues with buisness and bandmember relations are the reason he will probably never grace us with the gems he has locked up.

Sorry, rant over.
    Too many beers and too much stimulation to really be objective.

I'm sure I'll try to defend myself tomorrow.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    Sorry, rant over.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    OK...it is stuff like this that on one hand, I absolutely LOVE to hear, but on the other hand truely bothers me because I am such a huge Edward fan. What I mean is this:

1. I love it because it is the times that he was the absolute freak that people could not put in any catagory. The part where he stops in the second cilp; you can tell he was stopping to see the faces they ALL had. And to be that particular human to come up with that has to be the most amazing feeling anyone can have. Mozart, Da Vinci, and all the true masters of their collective arts must have experienced this moment at some point in their lives. And to be able to hear this knid of stuff just cements my belief in this band and this guy.

2. It bothers me in the fact that in the first clip he uses an echo in a way that I have never heard in his Eruption Solo that absolutely works, but I can see how why he thinks the sustainer works now.

Yes...it was something he had obviously played many times before and might have grown tired of it simply b/c he had heard it more than any other person ever at that point. But he sounds like he was trying to push it to the proverbial 'next level.' It sounds fresh for that simple reason. And when he does 'something different' now it doesn't have that feel. I say that b/c I really do feel that he is not done with his fingerprint on the guitar universe and to know(in my mind) that he is resting on his laurels when it comes to this Ifeel cheated. I feel cheated in the sense that everyone I know that is truely a guitar fan that always say that he DID revolutionize(SP?) the whole thing, they have this look of condescending approval that I know is their belief that his imprint was 20 years ago and he really has nothing left to offer.

I know he does and his issues with buisness and bandmember relations are the reason he will probably never grace us with the gems he has locked up.

Sorry, rant over.

Whew...I can't believe I typed that much.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

and somebody said FAIR WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly shit ED kicked major ass!
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

It must have been something to see that in 76. I was only 7 at the time and about the only thing I can remember from that year was Carter getting elected. To think that this was recorded when that occured suddenly makes me feel realy old.

I do get pissed off that after 1984, he rested on his laurels being a solist. Now father time will prevent him from having the dexterity of a 19 year old kid. He got some of it back but its nothing like this.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

One of my faves from that era...

"It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook