"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 811 Times in 559 Posts

Premium Member

Default Spectrum, former home of Sixers and Flyers, to meet wrecking ball

Associated Press

Updated: July 15, 2008, 11:21 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA -- The Wachovia Spectrum, the former home to the Philadelphia 76ers and Flyers, will close and be demolished next year.

Arena owner Comcast-Spectacor, which announced the plan Tuesday, has plans to replace it with a complex of shops, bars, restaurants and a hotel. The 42-year-old arena, slated to shut down next spring, had been used for Philadelphia Flyers and 76ers games until the adjacent Wachovia Center was built and opened in l996.

The Spectrum is currently home to a minor league hockey team, the Philadelphia Phantoms, and an indoor soccer team, the Philadelphia Kixx.

Comcast-Spectacor is in discussions to relocate the Phantoms to another facility in time for the 2009-10 season.

The future of the Kixx is clouded because its league, the Major Indoor Soccer League, shut down in May. The league is trying to restart in a new form sometime before the 2008-09 season.

An Arena Football League team, the Philadelphia Soul, also occasionally plays games in the Spectrum.

Comcast-Spectacor, a unit of cable giant Comcast Corp., owns the Flyers, 76ers, Phantoms, the Wachovia Center and the Wachovia Spectrum. It also runs arenas around the country and has food service, ticketing and advertising interests.

Comcast-Spectacor was started by Ed Snider -- founder of the Flyers, chairman of the 76ers and co-founder of what is now Comcast's local sports channel.

"This has been one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make," said Snider, Comcast-Spectacor's chairman. "The Spectrum is my baby. It's one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me, but after a lot of thinking and discussions, we all feel it is in our best interest to close the Spectrum at the conclusion of the upcoming 2008-09 Philadelphia Phantoms and Kixx seasons."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

That was one of my two meccas when I was a kid (the other was Veterans Stadium). To get to see Dr. J. play there. Finally got to go in December of '83 when the engineer for our college radio station allowed me to tag along when he went to do his real job (engineer for WNBC). Funny thing was, when we got there - I was the only one that had the press pass! Got everything straightened out and we got in. I had basically the run of the joint and was leaving the press box constantly to check out different seats and take pictures and stuff. The nice lady in the press box was getting a little annoyed with me. Even was in the Nets locker room briefly after the game. Saw several other Sixers games there when I lived in the Philadelphia area, as well a Flyers game and concerts by Billy Idol and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. And now, just like it's bigger, uglier sister across the street, it's going to be gone. We'll always have "Rocky", though...

Favorite VH Album

FW, ADKoT, VH1, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Blood & Fire, ATBL
    Last Online

01.06.13 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is sad. I saw so many concerts, so many sporting events at the Spectrum. Including my very first VH concert there in October, 1988. LEGENDARY venue.
    "The music of Van Halen is vital."-David Lee Roth-1978

VH Shows....
    10-22-1988 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-15-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-16-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    04-28-1995 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    05-24-1998 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    09-09-2004 - Tampa Forum - Tampa, FL
    02-14-2008 - Amway Arena - Orlando, FL
    05-09-2008 - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ
    04-12-2012 - Amway Center - Orlando, FL

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

02.12.16 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Also where the live footage for the Panama video was filmed, I believe.
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night

Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh goody. I live less than a mile away from there and just cant WAIT to see what this does to the traffic situation. It was bad enough when they tore down Veterans Stadium and then let the rubble languish as the Phillies, Eagles and the city fought over who was supposed to clear it.
    And yep, the video for "Panama" was filmed at the Spectrum.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.22.09 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seen Van Halen there so many times and many other shows. This year I saw the Foo Fighters and Ozzy there. I will miss it The Spectrum sounded great for concerts. Plus the great history with the Flyers and Sixers. It definitly will be weird not seeing it there anymore.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.20.16 @ 04:50 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

It'll go to Stadium Heaven and rest next to Chicago Stadium and Boston Garden.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit - The site where you are the search engine.