Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default I bought an EVH 5150 III Head today! Am I nuts? Anyone own one?

Hey there,

So yesterday I had the chance to play several different heads in a shoot out. I had the guitar center sales guy set up 4 heads in a circular kind of set up and I went to town for about an hour

I had a:
    new JVM 2 channel 100w head
    New Vintage Modern
    Used and pretty beat up tolex JCM 900 head (was $799)
    EVH 5150 III white tolex head

I jammed each one for about 15 min then went back and forth. I soon realized that I didnt need to hear the Vintage Modern. It was just really lacking balls and that Marshall Grind. The clean was muddy.

I then stopped playing the JVM mainly because it seemed a little to like a modeling amp. It has the tone there but seems processed in some way...its weird...just didnt sound organic if that can even apply to amps...

I then went head to head with the JCM 900 and the EVH 5150 III head.

Now, keep this in mind. I am still waiting to try a few JCM 800s (2203, 2004 and 2005). I gave up on the Jubilee thing because I dont feel like spening a premium for the collectability factor. Guitar Center has a mint one for $2,500. The can ship it to my local store to play it I passed on the big price tag.

I figured that the JCM900 would be a decent surrogate for the 800 series...might not be a good assumption but it was all I had at the time.

So, the JCM900 had an okay clean channel. The lead channel was tight, and really full with lots of growl. It was much more mid rangey and bright as compared to the EVH 5150 III.

I really liked the 900's tone and was impressed for its 80s metal tones. The EVH has a really nice clean channel and when you throw a little gain on it it gives sweet bluesy tones. The second channel was really thick, crunchy and loads of sustain. I felt it was giving me that hot rod marshall tone for days. The third channel was a little much for me outside of soloing. But, it can be fun!

So, after all that I decided I wanted the EVH 5150 III. I played it all day today and was really impressed with the wide variety of tones. It's articulate and has the 80s metal sounds in there...as well as many others.

That was why I decided to get it instead of the 900...versatility and range.

So here are my questions...

Anyone own one or play one? Thoughts on it compared to the JCM800 or 900s?

Also, can I use the Ultimate Attenuator with my EVH 5150 III?

I can return the amp within the next few weeks and will be going to NYC to play several 800 models (2203, 2204, 2205). I can always go another direction but I am quite impressed so far. No amp does it all as we know...so I would like your opinions.

Again, I play classic rock, metal, blues.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Hey there,

Also, can I use the Ultimate Attenuator with my EVH 5150 III?
    I just checked out their website and it says that the UA can handle up to 50 Watts... which could be a problem with a 100-120 watt amp like the 5150 III (6L6's are about 30 watts output a piece.)

I'd contact the guy and see what he thinks his stuff can handle.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I just checked out their website and it says that the UA can handle up to 50 Watts... which could be a problem with a 100-120 watt amp like the 5150 III (6L6's are about 30 watts output a piece.)

I'd contact the guy and see what he thinks his stuff can handle.
    thanks, I am going to do that. I have own of the newer ones and had asked the owner about using a 100 watt marshall and he said I would be fine with it. But I am going to ask bout this amp.

Thanks

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the EVH 5150 III. Congrats, by the way--heard only good things about the amp.

I think you probably got the most versatile head of the bunch. I'm sure the clean on the EVH is much nicer than what you will encounter on the JCMs. The 2205 clean is very sterile, IMO. I've not had enough experience with The 2203 and 2204, but they are one channel amps that you have to roll off the guitar volume to get the clean sound, ala EVH's plexi.

Does the 5150 III have a 1/2 power switch? If so, you'll likely be just fine with an ultimate attenuator. You might email Ho anyway and see what he says.

Again, congrats on the score--post some clips of that amp so we can hear what it sounds like in action.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

VH II, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'Em High
    Last Online

02.17.15 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on the new amp!!! I use a THD Hotplate (16 ohm) with mine and it works great! I'm not sure I've ever heard of the type of attenuator that you own. Heck, I didn't even know that they made them rated by wattage!

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

what do you need an UA for? you don't need anything with the 5150 but if you must, get the hotplate. why would you want to take your 2K$ amp and then re-amplify it with a tiny less than 100$ digital amp and put a mismatched load on it?

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

congrats, you got a great amp head!
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

congrats mate you bought a very versatile amp and i'm sure you will be very pleased with it.

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had a 5150III since they came out last year and am very impressed with it. Just to put things in perspective, my other amps are a Komet 60, Komet Concorde, Divided By 13 FTR37, and a Germino Club 40, so my standards are pretty high.

I think the 5150III is the best 5150 that has come out so far. The clean channel is great, as are the crunch and lead channels. I can get any tone I need my balancing the volume and gain knobs. I can get lots of preamp gain, lots of power amp overdrive, and everything in between. It is truly an amazing amp. It is extremely versatile...I think if players gave it a chance they would jump at the chance to own one, although non-VH fans probably have a hard time getting around the logo and stripe motif.

I am not sure why you feel that you need an attenuator, as the volume can be controlled by balancing the gain and volume knobs. If you feel strongly that you have to have one, I believe the Ultimate Attenuator now comes in a 200 watt model. Although pricey, the UA blows away any other brand of attenuator I've ever used.
    Last edited by mikelong; 07.14.08 at 03:05 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey guys. First off, congratulations on the amp. I don't own one but have played one and am very impressed with the tones available. Seriously, don't get an attenuator for these amps ( any 5150 or Soldano). No offence to any one but they just sound corked or canned with attenuators. A vintage Marshall or something then sure 'cause that's where the gain is; from 6 to 10. If you just balance the pre and post gains you'll get that great tone you're looking for. You cook so much more than just the tubes when you attenuate a high gain amp, and the repairs are'nt cheap.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd also remember the Weber Attenuators. I run my amps into a Weber Mass Lite 100 Watt version and it does not alter the tone much at all. Plus, you can compensate for the attenuation / tone problems with their 2 knob attenuation design.

And by the way, mine was internally damaged in shipping -- so I contacted Weber about it a few months after I thought it sounded funny, and they had me ship it to them and they repaired the thing FREE and sent it back very quickly. Now that is a great product WITH great service!

Favorite VH Album

VH II, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'Em High
    Last Online

02.17.15 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THD Hotplate sounds great as well. I've heard both positive and negative reviews. It seems like some of the Hotplates built might be inconsistent. My tone really isn't affected until I turn the attenuation to -16 db, and even then, it sounds good. They have nice EQ switches to help add back brightness or low end as needed. Although I think the Webers have an EQ compensation in their circuit too? Weber makes great products and I've had great customer service experiences with them. I just happened to fall upon a (practically) brand new THD attenuator for really cheap!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.26.12 @ 06:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

didnt know you were looking for a jubille! my guitar player is selling his. 1987, 2 channel, canadian made 1800.00
    Last edited by EDDIEVRULZ; 07.16.08 at 03:48 PM.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIEVRULZ View Post
    didnt know you were looking for a jubille! my guitar player is selling his. 1987, 2 channel, canadian made 1800.00
    Thanks. Is it the 100 watt version?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.26.12 @ 06:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts