Favorite VH Album

Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Original EXP prices?

Does anybody remember the original out the door prices for the Wolfgang Exp's? I could have sworn they were around 500.00 to 550.00 in this area. I may be out of my mind, but that number rings a bell for some reason.

The reason I ask is cuz I just bought an EXP for 6 hundred. I thought with the way the prices are going crazy on the internet I should just jump on this.

Prices seem crazier than ever. I've owned every version of this axe, but it's been a while since I've had one, and I figured I better grab a shot at one now before the flippin Korean made ones are going for 1500.00!! You know what I'm saying?

Guess I'm gald I got it when I did, and I aint lettin this one go.

Dude.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Does anybody remember the original out the door prices for the Wolfgang Exp's? I could have sworn they were around 500.00 to 550.00 in this area. I may be out of my mind, but that number rings a bell for some reason.

The reason I ask is cuz I just bought an EXP for 6 hundred. I thought with the way the prices are going crazy on the internet I should just jump on this.

Prices seem crazier than ever. I've owned every version of this axe, but it's been a while since I've had one, and I figured I better grab a shot at one now before the flippin Korean made ones are going for 1500.00!! You know what I'm saying?

Guess I'm gald I got it when I did, and I aint lettin this one go.

Dude.
    They listed at $900 and typically sold new for anywhere from $400-$600.

One time, a while back, one of the EXPs DID go for $1,500. I started a thread on it: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/moro...0.html?t=37200

You can read my thoughts about them in my initial post there.

I wish people would do their research and know what they're buying. Often those EXPs go for much more than the flame top USA Specials, which are easily superior. Why the value of the flame top USA Specials haven't skyrocketed is beyond me; they're the rarest version of the Wolfgang after Custom Shop models and first-year quilts, they most closely resemble their EBMM predecessor, and they possess all the same tonal qualities of the standard carved top Wolfies.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Andrew.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

I got mine when they just came out. They were charging $799 at the shop I got it from. They had a whole section of them and I was kind of drooling over them. I had no money at the time, so I ended up trading an LTD pre-lawsuit Explorer and a Mexican Telecaster for it. Yeah, I overpaid, but it was just one of those implulse things-I had to have one. It wasn't until later that I really learned about the difference between the Korean and USA Wolfies. The only thing I could tell was there was no signature on the back of the headstock. I asked them about the USA models and they were like, "It's pretty much the same guitar, except they are made overseas to cut costs." Oh, well. Live and learn I guess.
    That being said, I've got no complaints about the EXP. It's a solid guitar that can take a beating. It's never given me any problems and I still play it all the time. Ironically, I've since picked up a gold USA Special (in perfect condition with case)for $600 at Guitar Center.

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:25 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

look like this one?Sorry but anyone that sells a exp for more then $350 used
    should be be shot.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:40 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In June 2004 I paid $649.00 thru Musicians' Friend for an EXP model

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you guys think eventually even the Exp's are going through the roof price wise, just like all Wolf's. Or, do you think with the new Fender Wolf coming out, that will drive prices back down?

I think that the new ones are going to be so expensive, that eventually the price will skyrocket with the originals....including the exp's.There were only so many made, probably even less of the Exp's....and people will tend to do mods, screw them up in some way that I think eventually in five years or so...there will be so few good ones out there that the price will just be crazy.

I can't believe the prices now. I know there are some deals out there now, but they are hard to come by.

In time, I would think even parts would be hard to come by.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.21.08 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by js1516 View Post
    In June 2004 I paid $649.00 thru Musicians' Friend for an EXP model
    You guys are gonna hate me. I bought the whole 4 color collection for $1000. Peavey was trying to get rid of their remaining stock. the rep told me I bought the last of what they had. the bulk of what was left they sent to Japan. Man that comes out to $250 per a unit. they even threw in hardcases also. brand spanking new in the box still. mint. none of them ever played.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    You guys are gonna hate me. I bought the whole 4 color collection for $1000. Peavey was trying to get rid of their remaining stock. the rep told me I bought the last of what they had. the bulk of what was left they sent to Japan. Man that comes out to $250 per a unit. they even threw in hardcases also. brand spanking new in the box still. mint. none of them ever played.

You suck.

Nah, good for you man. Did you keep all of em or sell a couple?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    I got mine when they just came out. They were charging $799 at the shop I got it from. They had a whole section of them and I was kind of drooling over them. I had no money at the time, so I ended up trading an LTD pre-lawsuit Explorer and a Mexican Telecaster for it. Yeah, I overpaid, but it was just one of those implulse things-I had to have one. It wasn't until later that I really learned about the difference between the Korean and USA Wolfies. The only thing I could tell was there was no signature on the back of the headstock. I asked them about the USA models and they were like, "It's pretty much the same guitar, except they are made overseas to cut costs." Oh, well. Live and learn I guess.
    That being said, I've got no complaints about the EXP. It's a solid guitar that can take a beating. It's never given me any problems and I still play it all the time. Ironically, I've since picked up a gold USA Special (in perfect condition with case)for $600 at Guitar Center.
    Curious as to your view on the EXP VS. the USA special on these points. 1. Neck and frets 2. sound unplugged and plugged 3. over all view. I am curious because I will be doing some wolfgang retro fits. The things that I do know are the obvious differences hardware, and a paper thin maple veneer etc........ So far I plan on sticking to the USA model, but if the necks are real good on the exp they might be worth it too. I can't remember if the gold and black or one of them came with a maple top under the paint? I don't have enough cash flow to buy all of them to experiment or I would !!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    Curious as to your view on the EXP VS. the USA special on these points. 1. Neck and frets 2. sound unplugged and plugged 3. over all view. I am curious because I will be doing some wolfgang retro fits. The things that I do know are the obvious differences hardware, and a paper thin maple veneer etc........ So far I plan on sticking to the USA model, but if the necks are real good on the exp they might be worth it too. I can't remember if the gold and black or one of them came with a maple top under the paint? I don't have enough cash flow to buy all of them to experiment or I would !!

Well, the USA Special does sound better unplugged and neck is a little sweeter feeling because of the finish (or lack finish). The USA sounds better clean and when the volume is rolled down on a dirty channel. To a lot of people that's a big deal, but I'm usually on a dirty channel, so to me it's not a big deal. They sound about the same on a dirty channel to my ears. Interestingly enough, I think I like the Floyd on the EXP better. I like the tension wheel where the bar screws in, whereas the US model is either totally loose or tight. Plus on the USA models, where the two posts meet up with the Floyd, one end of the Floyd is just straight and it always pops off during restringing. The Korean version "wraps around" both posts.(Kind of hard to explain )
    I think some Wolfgangs had quilts or flamed tops that were painted over at the factory, but I think they may have been the Gold Standard and not the Special. A.T. would be the man to ask about that one.
    As far as value, I doubt the Korean Wolfies will go up too much. They're fine guitars, but most people don't consider them to be "real" Wolfgangs. Plus there were quite a few of them made and they aren't considered a real premium guitar. Plus they have the "fake quilt top".

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.21.08 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You suck.

Nah, good for you man. Did you keep all of em or sell a couple?
    Still have them. I check them 2 times a year to make sure they are holding up.

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got an EXP at a Warehouse Sale for $220 !!!! Plays fine to me, definitely does not feel as good as my Standard though. What I don't like is there is no dynamics with the volume knob, it is about the same volume on 3 as on 10. Can't complain too much for the price though

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Well, the USA Special does sound better unplugged and neck is a little sweeter feeling because of the finish (or lack finish). The USA sounds better clean and when the volume is rolled down on a dirty channel. To a lot of people that's a big deal, but I'm usually on a dirty channel, so to me it's not a big deal. They sound about the same on a dirty channel to my ears. Interestingly enough, I think I like the Floyd on the EXP better. I like the tension wheel where the bar screws in, whereas the US model is either totally loose or tight. Plus on the USA models, where the two posts meet up with the Floyd, one end of the Floyd is just straight and it always pops off during restringing. The Korean version "wraps around" both posts.(Kind of hard to explain )
    I think some Wolfgangs had quilts or flamed tops that were painted over at the factory, but I think they may have been the Gold Standard and not the Special. A.T. would be the man to ask about that one.
    As far as value, I doubt the Korean Wolfies will go up too much. They're fine guitars, but most people don't consider them to be "real" Wolfgangs. Plus there were quite a few of them made and they aren't considered a real premium guitar. Plus they have the "fake quilt top".
    Thanks for the info !

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

Do you guys think eventually even the Exp's are going through the roof price wise, just like all Wolf's. Or, do you think with the new Fender Wolf coming out, that will drive prices back down?

I think that the new ones are going to be so expensive, that eventually the price will skyrocket with the originals....including the exp's.There were only so many made, probably even less of the Exp's....and people will tend to do mods, screw them up in some way that I think eventually in five years or so...there will be so few good ones out there that the price will just be crazy.

I can't believe the prices now. I know there are some deals out there now, but they are hard to come by.

In time, I would think even parts would be hard to come by.

I don't think any Korean guitar will ever go up in price comparable to a US made guitar. I'm not saying there aren't foreign guitars that are as good or even better than American, I just think the pricing seems to do with where the guitars are made.

IMO, Gibson's recent US models play/sound like shit... I was stoked to get a BFG Les Paul, and it was the absolute worst sounding guitar I ever picked up.

Most US Fenders play/sound no better than the Mexican's and they are 3x as expensive, and have always held their value better.

I have a Purple Wolfgang hard-tail with the sickest birdseye maple neck you've ever seen that I bought in 2001, and I never play it...
    10/10 mint condition... It will make a nice gift for someone when I'm too old to care about guitars....

Lucked out on a white Wolfgang Special with Floyd and case for $550 out the door on Christmas eve in 2004... They had about 4 others... If I knew they were going to become so collectable, I would have broke out the credit card and bought them all...
    Last edited by EJC; 07.15.08 at 01:12 PM.
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" drops on 122117
    Pre-order now on iTunes, Amazon, Google