Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default EVH III Guitar Amp versus Older JCM800 or SLP?

Hey guys,

I'm deciding between some amp choices now and it dawned on me that while I am searching for Marshall's...I thought "what about the EVH III?"

Anyone own one? is it only good for EVH tone or can i do other 80s metal and hard rock?

Still considering

JCM800 2203 100 watt head
    JCM800 2204 50 watt head
    JCM800 2205 50 watt head 2 channel head
    Silver Jubilee
    EVH?

Thanks

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

IMO, you can't make a "mean" tone "nice".

You can try, with varied results, make a nice tone sound somewhat "evil". That's what I think of when someone mentions a JCM 800. Whether the gain is cranked, goosed, or low, it's got a grind that sounds evil to me.

So yes, you could always "evil-up" the "rounded" frequencies of the 5150III.

Just listen to Ed and his wah....he makes it sound like sh*t with that thing.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    IMO, you can't make a "mean" tone "nice".

So yes, you could always "evil-up" the "rounded" frequencies of the 5150III.

Just listen to Ed and his wah....he makes it sound like sh*t with that thing.
    Ya -- I was amazed at the crap that came out of his amp with that wah engaged when I saw them in '07. It was cool for some songs, but it REALLY sounded nasty on others.

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a 5150 combo years ago and while it worked well I mostly used it as a power amp (ran my Rocktron Chamelon in to the effects return and then used the Resonance & Presence controls as a master hi-lo eq).

Still never heard a better sound than the Marshall Hi-Gain 50-watt amp that the rehearsal studio we used had. Believe me, if I could go back I'd buy a Marshall and be happy.

As Eddie says, if it sounds good it is good. Forget the brand names - let your ears be your guide. My Peavey Classic 15 doesn't sound half bad, got that used for $150.

Rock on!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,348 Times in 3,189 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've played a 5150III. Its pretty bad ass. I might sell my Soldano to help finance it. I didn't forget Brett, first dibs. Sweet gain and super mids, very well rounded.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

from ive heard out of a 5150III its a very versatile amp, not only good for ed's tones....infact i doubt any of us could get "ed's tone" without some serious outlay. the clean channel is far superior to any of the previous 5150's plus you have another 2 channels to play with.
    the jcm 800 2203 is the only marshall i would ever consider buying again, ive had nothing but trouble with most of the others i have owned, but the 800 has been a rock. that beig said you do need to dime them in to get a really sweet tone or buy a boost pedal to get the thing driving.
    have you considered the jcm 800 2203kk?
    its a regular 2203 with the kerry king "beast" switch that alters the eq to give you some evil slayer tones.

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Ya -- I was amazed at the crap that came out of his amp with that wah engaged when I saw them in '07. It was cool for some songs, but it REALLY sounded nasty on others.
    I've not read much about Ed's Dunlop wah yet, but wasn't one of its features an expanded mid range sweep (or something along those lines)? If you start heavily pushing about the 1-10kHz range on a high gain amp, it usually sounds pretty shitty.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I've played a 5150III. Its pretty bad ass. I might sell my Soldano to help finance it. I didn't forget Brett, first dibs. Sweet gain and super mids, very well rounded.
    Don't sell your Soldano. Seriously... In the long run I think the amp that will be more worth having will be the Soldano.

Actually, I take that back. Sell the Soldano--to me!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've not read much about Ed's Dunlop wah yet, but wasn't one of its features an expanded mid range sweep (or something along those lines)? If you start heavily pushing about the 1-10kHz range on a high gain amp, it usually sounds pretty shitty.
    Bingo

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.08.08 @ 08:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1 on not selling the Soldano. The only thing I would change about Andrew's statement is who to sell it to if you do. Sell it to me!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default EVH wah...reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    u.k mag guitarist reviewed it in their july issue (number 304), heres what they said...

In use...
    looking at EVH's own cry baby, customised in the early 90's with a High Q inductor and a wider frequency sweep to create a more vocal sound, MXR designers found that Ed's extended use of that pedal in one area of its travel had physicaly altered the pot to make the mid-range even more defined and give a greater low end sweep. With these elements integrated into the signiture model the result is a pedal with a voice that defines what wah is all about.
    with a smooth sweep that seems to emphasise all the right frequencies and is capable of fat, chewy vocal-esque leads, it made our regular cry baby sound listless and anodyne in comparison.
    Two bright blue LED's easily let you see when the effect is active, but one concern is that the on/off switch under the treadle did not have much resistance as our stock wah, making it a little too easy to inadvertantly turn the effect off when getting a little too heavy footed on the old funk "wacka wacka".
    VERDICT
    It's pricey but EVH fans will be tempted regardless, more conservative souls may find the graphics a little too garish-all we'll say is don't look down, use your ears-but it sounds fantastic

they gave it 4 1/2 stars out of 5 and awarded it the guitarists choice award.

hope someone found it somewhat useful

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've owned my share of amps, and a little over a year ago I bought a 5150 III. I've become very fond of it, and in fact, I find it to be very versatile.

I could sit here and rave about it all day, but that won't help you much. I would suggest you find one and play through it for a good while and form your own opinion. The 5150 III has received alot of praise, and for good reason.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    ...looking at EVH's own cry baby, customized in the early 90's with a High Q inductor and a wider frequency sweep to create a more vocal sound, MXR designers found that Ed's extended use of that pedal in one area of its travel had physically altered the pot to make the mid-range even more defined and give a greater low end sweep. With these elements integrated into the signature model the result is a pedal with a voice that defines what wah is all about. With a smooth sweep that seems to emphasize all the right frequencies and is capable of fat, chewy vocal-esque leads, it made our regular cry baby sound listless and anodyne in comparison.
    I now understand the wah: Ed is trying to take over vocals--with the pedal! Never again will he have to deal with LSD.
    Last edited by AT; 07.11.08 at 08:59 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH II, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'Em High
    Last Online

02.17.15 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some clips I made awhile back of the 5150 III. I purposely tried to stay away from playing VH tunes to show that the amp is good for stuff other than VH. The channel 3 clips are so-so. I'm still working on my miking technique.

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=user&value=fridgit

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bonedish View Post
    Here are some clips I made awhile back of the 5150 III. I purposely tried to stay away from playing VH tunes to show that the amp is good for stuff other than VH. The channel 3 clips are so-so. I'm still working on my miking technique.

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=user&value=fridgit
    Thanks for the clips! I love the tone of channel 2. Really has that Marshall tone. I'm heading down to guitar center to hear this amp first hand...

will keep you posted!