VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default CRYO TUBES?

i'm picking up an amp today from a guy i know, its a roland tube amp (not sure what model right now) its a few years old but he's had it from new and he's supplying all the paperwork (even original purcahse reciept) the only reason im having it is because it's FREE!!!
    apparently though it has a problem...its either really quiet or really loud! (its 60w) now im thinking it could be a couple of things...a bad connection maybe on the input, a bad pot, or quite possibly a bad tube or 2. i fully intend on re-tubing it anyway and i've been looking round and have come accross "cryo tubes", these are tubes that have been frozen at -375f for 24 hours and slowly bought back up to normal temperature, they are offered by
    www.watfordvalves.com
    on pretty much all types and manufacturers, the blurb on the site says they are superior to "normal" tubes, so my question is...
    has anyone heard of this process or have experience with them, if so is it worth paying a little extra for them?

many thanks
    tom

p.s. i will update when i have picked the amp up (pics etc)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't worry, it's bullshit.

Cryo treating is supposed to increase the strength of moving parts like transmission gears, brake rotors, and pistons, and the debate is still out there if it even does anything.

Last time I checked, my tubes werent rotating at 7,000 RPMs. I can't beleive people are allowed to sell shit like this.

Anyways, awsome deal on the amp! The best price is free!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tom, I've spoken to a couple of people about this cryo thing and they've all laughed their heads off. I too was tempted until my local amp repair guy told me it was a gimmick... valves are designed to run hot, so why freeze them, dry joints or any imperfections in a valve should be sorted at production stage/testing before being sold (although some do slip through the net). A valve can run for years at hot temps, lighthouses used them for years (daft as it sounds!) as with most electrical products it's the on/off current serge and being bashed about that kills most parts.

The other thing that nailed it for me was how come it's just them doing it They don't even make the damn things, wouldn't the big Russian and Chinese factories that supply these to companies like groove tubes, EH etc. come up with the idea before some retail outlet???

I myself have always headed for the valve to be the source of a problem... which is why it's become the most successful (and probably only) after-market product for amps! but when you look at the chain from input jack to speaker cone, there's a whole host of things that can go faulty. Simple things like input jacks and contact points on control pots can make for uneven dips in volume, due to wear and tear.
    My rule of thumb now, after wasting a shed load of money over the years, is to take it to an expert to get all the circuits check out for a proper assessment.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Someone should put that company on ice! The last time I laughed so hard at a product, that shill Ron popeil was spraying hair out of can on some dudes bald mellon! Seriously though, this is such a scam. My amp tech brought these to my attention some time ago. He told me to stay away from these. I believe the distribution company name is Cryoset or something, and they chill big name and small name tubes alike such as Electro Harmonix, JJ, Mullard, Ruby, and even Sovteks, but apperently some guy ordered a set off the net, and one of the power tubes failed inside of two weeks even though it was properly biased and burned in.
    They were not cheap either. Something like $120.00 or something in Canada (the usual ripoff) for a set of two X 2. $240.00 + tax seems a bit steep for a below par tube no matter what it's "space age technological treatment" AKA putting it in a super cold beer fridge! The scary thing is that other resellers are also claiming a simular treatment on some of their product. I'll stick with stock JJ's. They seem to be the best thing going right now. Ahhhhhhhhhh capitalism is great sometimes. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to freeze my next batch of Cryo-Guitar Strings. Good luck with the amp man.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i've picked up the amp.
    its a roland bolt-60, an early 80's combo
    it looks to me like its the tubes they (1xecc81 and 2x6l6gc) are like frikin mirrors
    ive ordered a set of jj 6l6's and a mullard ecc81.

ive read some very favourable reviews on h.c. seems like i got a pretty reasonable amp and best of all it was free

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...d/Bolt+60/10/1
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hahaha! Cryo freezing....sheesh. I am also a classical trumpet player and a few years back a guy started doing that to trumpets while manufacturing them -- he said it aligned the brass molecules and took all of the "stress" out of the metal that had been put into it in the manufacturing process!

My friend got one of these "Cryo Horns" and I have played it extensively... all I can say is that the tone is the same, but his horn has lost 3 major soldered-on parts that should NEVER fall off in the life of a trumpet....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Hahaha! Cryo freezing....sheesh. I am also a classical trumpet player and a few years back a guy started doing that to trumpets while manufacturing them -- he said it aligned the brass molecules and took all of the "stress" out of the metal that had been put into it in the manufacturing process!

My friend got one of these "Cryo Horns" and I have played it extensively... all I can say is that the tone is the same, but his horn has lost 3 major soldered-on parts that should NEVER fall off in the life of a trumpet....
    Yeah. Considering how much repair was required due to this tube failure I'd never touch these. It just makes sense. Tubes are in an already delicate state after each one is tested, so extreme cooling is shrinking those joints. Just laughable ideology.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep. It just goes against logic...

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All this talk gave me a great business idea. I have a 1998 Wolfgang Special in black. I am planning on freezing it for two weeks then will sell it as a cryo-treated guitar for $5000 to the first person that sends me a PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncbuckeye3 View Post
    All this talk gave me a great business idea. I have a 1998 Wolfgang Special in black. I am planning on freezing it for two weeks then will sell it as a cryo-treated guitar for $5000 to the first person that sends me a PM.
    Hey! Don't forget to give me a plug. My Cryo-Strings go fo only $30.00 a set, but with this deal, I'll throw 'em in for $20.00. Don't forget my Cryo-Straps. They are $150.00, but feel secure that it is molecularily stronger than other nylon straps going for a fraction of the price. Don't go for cheap substitutes.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncbuckeye3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Hey! Don't forget to give me a plug. My Cryo-Strings go fo only $30.00 a set, but with this deal, I'll throw 'em in for $20.00. Don't forget my Cryo-Straps. They are $150.00, but feel secure that it is molecularily stronger than other nylon straps going for a fraction of the price. Don't go for cheap substitutes.

HAHAHA. The funniest part about this is that the normally $1500 "Cryo Trumpet" I was telling you guys about earlier ACTUALLY SOLD FOR $5000!!!!