villains
    Favorite VH Song

cup of tea
    Last Online

08.13.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default travelling to toronto

heya.

the family is putting together a late summer mini-vacation to toronto. problem is, the research i've done doesn't really help in where to stay. i've checked places like tripadvisor, expedia, etc.

curious if there's anyone here who has travel experience (or lives) in toronto and if you could recommend the best location for a family of 4 (me, wife, two young daughters, 9 and 6 years) to stay.

the only given on the agenda is a blue jays game. other than that any recommendations on what to do that two young girls would enjoy would be much obliged!

tx!

jay

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:11 PM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the insider View Post
    heya.

the family is putting together a late summer mini-vacation to toronto. problem is, the research i've done doesn't really help in where to stay. i've checked places like tripadvisor, expedia, etc.

curious if there's anyone here who has travel experience (or lives) in toronto and if you could recommend the best location for a family of 4 (me, wife, two young daughters, 9 and 6 years) to stay.

the only given on the agenda is a blue jays game. other than that any recommendations on what to do that two young girls would enjoy would be much obliged!

tx!

jay
    You're probably gonna want to be downtown. What are the family interests? U plan on sightseeing (museums, galleries, shopping)? Lotta Toronto people on here so we should be able to help.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

villains
    Favorite VH Song

cup of tea
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not so much sight-seeing...more kid friendly stuff, i.e. water park, amusement park, childrens museum, aquarium, etc...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

not so much sight-seeing...more kid friendly stuff, i.e. water park, amusement park, childrens museum, aquarium, etc...
    U driving up? how long u up here for?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

In the city there's not too much theme-park attractions or things of that nature.

There's the Metro Toronto Zoo (http://www.torontozoo.com), the Royal Ontario Museum (http://www.rom.on.ca/).

This might help as well:

http://www.toronto.worldweb.com/Sigh...entThemeParks/

In regards to hotels, it depends if you want to be in the CITY or in the cities in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) such as Mississauga, Oakville, etc.

http://www.torontohotels.worldweb.com/index.html

Mississauga might be your best bet if you don't want to stay right in the city. Might be able to find cheaper rooms, plus it's only about a 20-25 minute drive into the city. Depending on where you are in Mississauga.
    Last edited by MF5150; 07.09.08 at 10:10 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Wairning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 04:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

would take them to center island for the day, it is a island just off the downtown area. The Zoo is always great and their is Canada's Wonderland park. If you are driving here you don't need to stay right downtown as the prices of hotels will be more, stay up town and you can drive to everything...Good luck have fun, great City !
    [/SIGPIC]See Ya Derek !....5150canuck

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

The Zoo and Wonderland are both good options but are in opposite ends of the city so a car is a real plus if you want to hit those spots. I'm sure the family will like both. I was at the Zoo and a couple of weeks back and kids seem to love it.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

villains
    Favorite VH Song

cup of tea
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the info so far guys,very helpful.

yes,we're driving from toledo.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Kid's stuff:

Wild Water Kingdom - about 30 minutes north of downtown Toronto but still well within the GTA extended city limits

Ontario Science Centre - midtown Toronto

Harbourfront - right on the waterfront - there is a boat ride there called The Shark - they take you for a tour of the harbour and Toronto island, then blast around at high speed on the back side of the island - very fun and safe and kid friendly - if you go to Harbourfront and go to one of the info booths down there you can't miss it - there are also other boat rides and cruises you can do there

Toronto Island and centreville-which is a small kids theme park with rides for the little ones-it's a good walk too with very good views of the city skyline-the ferry to the island is right beside Harbourfront

If you are going to a Jays game, you can walk right up to the box office right before game time and get good cheap tickets for the family. You might want to try a Canadian Football League game, the Toronto Argonauts, they also play out of the same stadium (Rogers Centre, used to be Skydome, which everyone still calls it). CFL football is a great game to watch live, much quicker than the NFL, and it's a family friendly environment.

African Lion Safari, which is about an hour outside of Toronto, just past Hamilton. Similar the Toronto Zoo but you stay in your car and get to see lions and tigers up close and personal. Kids love it...don't bring the nice car as the many monkeys climb all over your vehicle.

You have to do the CN Tower-a bit pricey but it is a must.

Canada's Wonderland, and there is a huge shopping centre right beside it called Vaughan Mills. There are some good movie theatres and other good shopping in the area as well as good hotels and easy access to the main highways.

When are you coming? There is also the Caribana parade, which is a huge Caribbean and multicultural parade that happens every summer. That too is a great family event and if you are staying downtown it's right there.

Niagara Falls if you haven't been yet that would be a good day for the family. It's about a 70 minute drive from Toronto and simple-you just follow the highway from Toronto straight to Niagara

Where did you want to stay, downtown or just outside of town? I can give you some ideas of where to stay and how much to pay. What kind of food do you like to eat, we have some great restaurants in Toronto that aren't too expensive...anyway you will love it here, it really is a great city, safe and mostly clean with lots of stuff to do.

Welcome to Canada!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ontario Place is a very family oriented outdoor theme park with a great water-park 4 the kids. If u take in a concert in the evening @ the Molson Amphitheatre, that gets the ticket holders free admission in2 the park.

http://www.ontarioplace.com/en/index.html

try

http://www.toronto.com/

really helpful 4 searches on anything - hotels, bars, restaurants...

enjoy T.O.
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:52 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JeppVH View Post
    Ontario Place is a very family oriented outdoor theme park with a great water-park 4 the kids. If u take in a concert in the evening @ the Molson Amphitheatre, that gets the ticket holders free admission in2 the park.

http://www.ontarioplace.com/en/index.html

try

http://www.toronto.com/

really helpful 4 searches on anything - hotels, bars, restaurants...

enjoy T.O.
    Absolutely Ontario Place. And a few people have mentioned Toronto Island and that is my favorite option. There are a lot of things to do out there and you don't get a better view of the city from anywhere!

And if you are willing to have your house re-mortgaged take the family up the CN Tower (as long as it is a clear day of course.)

My advice...stay somewhere downtown near the waterfront. Definitely a bit more money than staying in the 'burbs but well worth it. You don't want to have to drive to get downtown to all the sites with the rest of the daily commuters.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Absolutely Ontario Place. And a few people have mentioned Toronto Island and that is my favorite option. There are a lot of things to do out there and you don't get a better view of the city from anywhere!

And if you are willing to have your house re-mortgaged take the family up the CN Tower (as long as it is a clear day of course.)

My advice...stay somewhere downtown near the waterfront. Definitely a bit more money than staying in the 'burbs but well worth it. You don't want to have to drive to get downtown to all the sites with the rest of the daily commuters.
    correct. don't bother w/ Mississauga Hotels & the 20-30 minute drive in2 T.O. - may get stuck in traffic & w/ the price of gas, I'd rather pay the hotel parking rates & just use the subway 4 in & around the city.

Wonderland - I suggest driving 4 sure & the ROM [Royal Ontario Museum - but u can also use the subway 2 get 2 the ROM]

@ whichever hotel u stay @ they have many brochures by the concierge on attractions & events all w/ in walking distance in the city.
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"