Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Distortion Pedals

In the market for a good crunch box to compliment a Marshall rig.
    I've recently test driven everything from a Zoom to a Boss Metal Zone to
    a Venomizer. Everything sounds like humming on paper through a comb,
    or that Twisted Sister tone, as I call it. In a word, shitty.

Would prefer something tube-driven (besides the Venomizer) and looking
    for good advice. Got any?

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post

If you have a Marshall rig, you should have no problem getting a "good crunch" sound IMO.
    Though I will say, Marshall's really only sound their best when cranked to "11".

If playing at higher volumes is an issue, you may want to consider an attenuator ... maybe a "Hot Plate"?

I dunno ... I'm a little "out of my element" here.
    Hopefully others will join in.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Probably not what you're looking for, but for an amazing "smooth" tone working in front of my 5150s (usually on the clean or crunch channels) I've really been into the Tech 21 CompTortion. I've also heard nothing but awesome things about the Radial Tone Bone boxes. Perhaps something in the "softer" overdrive pedal area would help avoid that shitty, buzzy, crappy metal thing.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

I have an MI Audio Tube Zone and I really like it. The controls are VERY sensitive, and there's 6 of them (and also one internal presence pot), but that just means you can get a LOT of different tones. It's a very versatile overdrive (so, technically, not distortion) pedal.

Despite its name, it's not tube based, but it has a tube sound. It's an expensive pedal, though. I paid about $220 Australian for it a few years back, from memory (rough memory!). All handmade... it's rock solid. It would make an excellent weapon.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Multi Effects Board

I have a Boss GT 3 and have been thinking that it's time for an upgrade.
    What company makes a great multi effect board??
    Any & all feedback is appreciated...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Probably not what you're looking for, but for an amazing "smooth" tone working in front of my 5150s (usually on the clean or crunch channels) I've really been into the Tech 21 CompTortion. I've also heard nothing but awesome things about the Radial Tone Bone boxes. Perhaps something in the "softer" overdrive pedal area would help avoid that shitty, buzzy, crappy metal thing.
    perhaps the best distortion/overdrive pedal out there, they sound phenominal.
    also worth a look are the new line of tech-21 character pedals, i've read some great reviews of them and they come in several flavours (a couple of british based pedals and a couple of american based).

another way to go is a booster pedal rather than a distortion pedal, they simply put, push the amp to its sweet spot at lower volumes without altering the overal tonal quality's of the original signal. checkout www.twinstomp.com for sound clips and specs of their amazing pedal (not cheap though and only works with all tube amps)

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 293 Posts

May or may not be what you are looking for, but I find the Digitech Grunge to be useful, especially for recording...Never tried it in front of an amp though.

Here's my 5150 tone using the Grunge, Boss CE, and Steinberger Transtrem:
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1104343&t=2489

And just basic jacking off with a little added delay
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=947062&t=9087

~Peace
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Last Online

10.25.13 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    I have a Boss GT 3 and have been thinking that it's time for an upgrade.
    What company makes a great multi effect board??
    Any & all feedback is appreciated...
    I'm a big fan of the Digitech pedal boards. I've used a couple of them in the past, and currently on a RP2000,(which admittedly is about 9 yrs old). None-the-less, I've loved using it and have been able to get all manner of different sounds from U2 to VH to Killers.
    "what's that sign say?"
    "no fighting"
    "what's that mean?"
    "no fighting"

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Erm, are you sure you're looking for a distortion, not overdrive?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Y'know, I have tried just about everything too. Pretty much the reason I bought my 5150 in the first place because I wanted the insane high gain and everything I tried pedal wise on my Marshalls just sounded bonk! I'm not too convinced by all the "tube driven" pedals either. I tried alot of them by Butler (Tube Drive, Blue Drive etc.) as well as the new Zoom stuff. To me they sounded like something going bad. Kind of like a solid state amp with a failing transistor or something clipping in a bad way. The Zoom stuff to me honestly sounds better and more natural on the modeled side than the tube drive section. I think alot of this is just marketing targeting the folklore and myth of tubes and seeing that warm glow in the box. My choice was always the TS9 Tube Screamer. Yep...the puke green monster! I will say I have the Zoom G1 and Iv'e crafted a setting there that works wonders with my 75' Superlead. I agree about the Hotplate though. It just depends on what sound you are hearing in your head. You'll find it. It does take time though.
    Good luck.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Y'know, I have tried just about everything too. Pretty much the reason I bought my 5150 in the first place because I wanted the insane high gain and everything I tried pedal wise on my Marshalls just sounded bonk! I'm not too convinced by all the "tube driven" pedals either. I tried alot of them by Butler (Tube Drive, Blue Drive etc.) as well as the new Zoom stuff. To me they sounded like something going bad. Kind of like a solid state amp with a failing transistor or something clipping in a bad way. The Zoom stuff to me honestly sounds better and more natural on the modeled side than the tube drive section. I think alot of this is just marketing targeting the folklore and myth of tubes and seeing that warm glow in the box. My choice was always the TS9 Tube Screamer. Yep...the puke green monster! I will say I have the Zoom G1 and Iv'e crafted a setting there that works wonders with my 75' Superlead. I agree about the Hotplate though. It just depends on what sound you are hearing in your head. You'll find it. It does take time though.
    Good luck.

i agree with you regarding "tube driven" pedals, most of them are just gimmicks and don't really offer any benifits over a regular distortion or o/d pedal with the exeption of a very small few, the tonebone and an old hughes and ketner pedal which i cant remember the name of, this is the main reason i prefer to use a twinstomp booster pedal to drive the amp to get the tone i wanted, afteral its the main reason i bought the things....the sound of the amp is what i was after, everything else i use is to just colour the tone to some degree and i only use them occasionaly the only pedal on my board that remains "on" for any period of time is the twinstomp and then its only when i cant dime the amp.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default How about the Line 6 POD XT Live

anyone have experience with this multi effect board? thanks CV

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

When demoing Marshall amps where they can't turn the amp up to get great distortion, even Marshall guys use the Guv'nor. I know that it is more likely because THEY make it, but it isn't a bad Marshall-in-a-box tone if you're looking for that at lower volumes. I have one, but I use it as a boost with a Fender Deluxe Reverb where I am already using the Boss OD-3. The OD-3 works fine for most of what I do, but since I didn't wanna lug the 510 around everywhere, the Guv'nor works well too when I want to crank it for some high gain. The Fender amp has incredible high-end range (one of the reasons they are famous for their clean amps--I even use it as an acoustic amp. Everyone should look at a Deluxe Reverb. They are incredibly versatile when you start putting pedals in front of it), so you have to adjust for that EQ-wise. Anyway...

As far as the Boss pedals go, the Metal Core is IMO much less shrill than the Metal Zone. I would try that. Boss has these cool displays that have ALL their single pedals lined up into ONE amp, and if other stores (that have them, cuz not all do) are like mine, they'll let you bring your rig in and test out the pedals with YOUR guitar and YOUR amp. Ours is even on wheels so if we're busy, we can put you in another room and let you go.

I'm not too convinced by all the "tube driven" pedals either.
    As far as pedals with tubes in them, someone correct me if I am wrong, but from what I know from talking to people who BUILD pedals is that not enough juice flows through the tube to really utilize it much anyways, so it is almost useless.

I would also try something that is built to go with some amp distortion going already, such as the MXR Zakk Wylde, or the Satriani Vox pedal coming in September which are both based on Boss pedals.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 07.24.08 at 03:14 PM.