Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    10.22.07
    Posts
    214
    Last Online

    12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Dimarzio Tone Zone

    So I bought one on ebay on an impulse buy. I heard that this was the bridge pick up in an EBMM. Any truth to that?

    I am putting it in my striped Charvel with the floating trem. I want it to sound not as thin. Floating trems suck.

  2. #2
    On Fire
    Join Date
    06.04.07
    Age
    42
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    334
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

    04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    So I bought one on ebay on an impulse buy. I heard that this was the bridge pick up in an EBMM. Any truth to that?

    I am putting it in my striped Charvel with the floating trem. I want it to sound not as thin. Floating trems suck.

    i own a EBMM EVH. and I have a tone zone in another guitar. Looks dead on but not the same. The tone zone is real midrangy. I think the EVH pickup in the EBMM is real trebly. thats my opinion. If you go to Dimarzio.com
    FAQ's they say something like the Air Norton is the closest thing to the EDDIE pickups that is availible. I will say that the TZ is a great Pickup and will definetly give you some drive!!!
    Last edited by Len75; 07.09.08 at 12:22 AM.

  3. #3
    On Fire
    Join Date
    06.04.07
    Age
    42
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    334
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

    04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len75 View Post
    i own a EBMM EVH. and I have a tone zone in another guitar. Looks dead on but not the same. The tone zone is real midrangy. I think the EVH pickup in the EBMM is real trebly. thats my opinion. If you go to Dimarzio.com
    FAQ's they say something like the Air Norton is the closest thing to the EDDIE pickups that is availible. I will say that the TZ is a great Pickup and will definetly give you some drive!!!
    Check that!!! I just checked and Air norton is close to the neck position pickup and Tone Zone is close to the bridge. I correct myself....BUT!

    i STILL THINK THAT THE TONE ZONE IS REAL MIDRANGY. THE EVH IS TREBLY TO ME BUT MAYBE ITS THAT MAPLE TOP ON THE GUITAR THAT BRIGHTENS IT UP!

    HAVE FUN!

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Yes, it's been said the Tone Zone and Air Norton most closely resemble the EBMM pickups--that they were based on those original DiMarzio models but tweaked slightly.

    I just installed the TZ and AN in a Wolfgang and really do like them. They're not a huge departure from the Wolfie pups, but the AN as a neck pickup doesn't quite have the same thick roundness of the Wolfie neck pup (which I really like).

  5. #5
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I know what you guys are saying about the Tone Zone being "mid-rangey" but I think that's mostly dure to the types of wood being used as well.
    I made my VH1 out of solid mahogany and put a Tone Zone in there.
    The best way I can describe the sound is "smooth".

    Having said that ... I've also tried this pickup in different bodies and have experienced the "mid-rangey" pheonomena as well.

  6. #6
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.28.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,945
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    288
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    The pickup in the EVH/Axis is a symmetrically wound Tone Zone. That's all.

    Both coils are wound to the same resistance, as opposed to being slightly off-set like a stock Tone Zone.

    The Air Zone is the Tone Zone with their Airbuckering setup.

    By the way, AT, how do you personally compare the low-end and the highs on a Wolf with a TZ in the bridge?

    I've always really liked the highs on a Wolfgang. Wasn't sure if it was the trem, or the pickup, but suspected the pickup, as it's not wound as heavily.

  7. #7
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    The pickup in the EVH/Axis is a symmetrically wound Tone Zone. That's all.

    Both coils are wound to the same resistance, as opposed to being slightly off-set like a stock Tone Zone.

    The Air Zone is the Tone Zone with their Airbuckering setup.

    By the way, AT, how do you personally compare the low-end and the highs on a Wolf with a TZ in the bridge?

    I've always really liked the highs on a Wolfgang. Wasn't sure if it was the trem, or the pickup, but suspected the pickup, as it's not wound as heavily.
    What is the "airbuckering setup," Maj?

    I haven't yet had a solid chance to play the Wolfie with the DiMarzios back-to-back with a stock Wolfie through my usual rig for comparison purposes; most of the playing I've done on the TZ is clean, actually. I was planning to post some thoughts about them here once I'd done some specific comparing.

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.28.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,945
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    288
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    I've always found the bass & treble to be very prominent, but in a "Brown" way, on the Wolfgang. Not the same amount of chunk in the mids, and even the bass. I think it really sounds like Ed's live tone.

    Anyway, Airbuckers are just pickups with Alnico 5 magnets that have "spacers" between the magnet and the poles, which slightly weakens, and therefore warms up the tone of the pickup.

    It's DiMarzio's way of simulating Duncan's Alnico 2 sound (warm highs, mushy bass) but without losing punch on the low end. Keeps the top strings pleasant, browns-up the bottom, but without letting it get too "loose", which can happen with A2 magnets, depending on the pickup (and amp, and the player, etc.)

    It's mainly an EQ shift, but without swapping magnets. Nothing wrong with swapping magnets, though.

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I've always found the bass & treble to be very prominent, but in a "Brown" way, on the Wolfgang. Not the same amount of chunk in the mids, and even the bass. I think it really sounds like Ed's live tone.

    Anyway, Airbuckers are just pickups with Alnico 5 magnets that have "spacers" between the magnet and the poles, which slightly weakens, and therefore warms up the tone of the pickup.

    It's DiMarzio's way of simulating Duncan's Alnico 2 sound (warm highs, mushy bass) but without losing punch on the low end. Keeps the top strings pleasant, browns-up the bottom, but without letting it get too "loose", which can happen with A2 magnets, depending on the pickup (and amp, and the player, etc.)

    It's mainly an EQ shift, but without swapping magnets. Nothing wrong with swapping magnets, though.
    Very cool info--thanks! In all the tinkering I've done with guitars I've never pulled apart or messed with pickups. I guess that's one of the next things to do.

  10. #10
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.28.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,945
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    288
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Please don't go to the Duncan forums. We won't see you here for next year if you do.

    Need I remind you about the Hybrid schtick? Then you've got Hybrids with magnet swapping, Airbuckers with magnet swapping, Airbuckered Hybrids with magnet swapping combined with spin-a-split....ugh.

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    Please don't go to the Duncan forums. We won't see you here for next year if you do.

    Need I remind you about the Hybrid schtick? Then you've got Hybrids with magnet swapping, Airbuckers with magnet swapping, Airbuckered Hybrids with magnet swapping combined with spin-a-split....ugh.
    Oh, yes indeed I recall the hybrid schtick. I know it's been talked about a lot here, but has anyone from the Links ever done one?

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I just got a F-Spaced Tone Zone today.... WOOOOWW!

    This thing is nice! It is extremely hot, but also extremely clean and clear. Fits perfectly with my 5150 Combo (although I had to pull the gain and highs down a bit to compensate). Unfortunately, I don't have an EBMM EVH to compare this pickup to personally ... ... but I think it sounds pretty dang close to Ed's tone from 1990-1995-ish when he was using the EVH models.

  13. #13
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    10.22.07
    Posts
    214
    Last Online

    12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I just got a F-Spaced Tone Zone today.... WOOOOWW!

    This thing is nice! It is extremely hot, but also extremely clean and clear. Fits perfectly with my 5150 Combo (although I had to pull the gain and highs down a bit to compensate). Unfortunately, I don't have an EBMM EVH to compare this pickup to personally ... ... but I think it sounds pretty dang close to Ed's tone from 1990-1995-ish when he was using the EVH models.
    Sweet! I can't wait for mine, all though the seller has not contacted me yet even though I paid him a few days ago. I am getting a little worried.

  14. #14
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,974
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Likes
    2,612
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I've got a Tone Zone S in my strat. It's very clear and defined, but the harmonics aren't jumping out of it the way that I hear they are supposed to. It's just making me work a little harder than I would with my Wolfgangs. And makes me use my ts-808 more often.

  15. #15
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    03.15.04
    Posts
    47
    Last Online

    12.21.08 @ 05:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I've got a Tone Zone S in my strat. It's very clear and defined, but the harmonics aren't jumping out of it the way that I hear they are supposed to. It's just making me work a little harder than I would with my Wolfgangs. And makes me use my ts-808 more often.
    I have the Tone Zone, Air Norton setup In several of my Studio guitars. They run great. But they do sound different with each setup. Wood is a big factor, Even your Amps play a huge factor. They are best with High Gain Tube amps. Also how you wired them in and shielded them plays a roll. I get some sick harmonics out of mine. I also build Preset settings off each guitar. not All presets work the same for each guitar. To much compression will kill harmonics. Check your pickup height. Look at the ones on your wolfie, adjust to same height.

    I find it crazy your not getting harmonics. These pickups Are harmonic factorys. I barely have to try and I get them, I think they are easyer than the wolfies setups.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11.10.06, 11:30 AM
  2. The Fear Zone
    By DaleT in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10.06.06, 02:26 PM
  3. Duncan JB Not Cutting It. Tone Zone?
    By nast2112 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06.12.06, 08:20 PM
  4. The Tone Zone
    By Majestic in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12.05.02, 03:55 PM
  5. The RED ZONE
    By strungout in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10.03.00, 08:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •