Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

Default Getting Kid to Sleep Advice

Hey all,

I know we got a lot of parents on here so maybe someone can help me out with something. My son (he'll be 1 in September) will not fall asleep in his crib. He'll fall asleep in his car seat or his little swing but for whatever reason won't fall asleep in his crib. We've tried getting him to cry it out but he'll sweat something firce when we try that. Anyone got any tips? My wife goes back to work in September so we'd like to get him to fall asleep on his own in his crib before that.

Thanks all.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 1st son who is now 7 was the same way. He would only fall asleep in a car seat. We'd switch him to the crib and he would cry like crazy. I hate to admit it, but he slept the 1st year of his life in the car seat and baby swing. I spent a lot of money on those D batteries to keep that swing a swingin'. There's nothing wrong with a car seat. If he's cozy and warm then so be it. Sweet dreams. Parents have to get their rest too, and we can't rest if the baby aint resting. Let him sleep in the car seat. He'll grow out of it. When they get older they start to adapt better and it's a natural progression. I think they like the wrap around womb feeling of the car seat and of course the rocking is like being in mom all over again! Enjoy... and take lots of pictures!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

villains
    Favorite VH Song

cup of tea
    Last Online

08.13.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

will he sleep in your bed with you? maybe that's a start...at least get him sleeping in a bed instead of a car seat. plus, babies are awesome to snuggle up with at night.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Dave
    Last Online

11.16.12 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    Hey all,

I know we got a lot of parents on here so maybe someone can help me out with something. My son (he'll be 1 in September) will not fall asleep in his crib. He'll fall asleep in his car seat or his little swing but for whatever reason won't fall asleep in his crib. We've tried getting him to cry it out but he'll sweat something firce when we try that. Anyone got any tips? My wife goes back to work in September so we'd like to get him to fall asleep on his own in his crib before that.

Thanks all.
    I feel for ya, bud, I really do. Our older son was a fussy baby....and I'm talkin' really fussy. I can remember rocking him, carrying him around, singing to him....and he would finally fall asleep, only to wake up immediately when we put him in the crib. If memory serves me right, we finally did just put him in the crib and let him sweat it out. Stroking his head, singing softly....although initially I got really impatient, and then pissed, so I'd have to leave the room. But when I had the patience to stick with it, he did fall asleep in the crib. I know you don't want to hear this, but it took just letting him fight it out, and finally submitting (with our gentle help.) Then, for him, it just became the place where he goes to sleep.
    Last edited by eden; 07.03.08 at 08:17 PM.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the truly great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"Edward?.....thank ya." ~ Could This Be Magic

"The attitude is we live and let live. This is actually an amazing change in values in a rather short time and it's an example of freedom from religion."
    ~ Thomas Wolfe

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the insider View Post
    will he sleep in your bed with you? maybe that's a start...
    BAD HABIT to start.... Not recommended by this internet person...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eden View Post
    although initially I got really impatient, and then pissed, so I'd have to leave the room. But when I had the patience to stick with it, he did fall asleep in the crib. I know you don't want to hear this, but it took just letting him fight it out, and finally submitting (with our gentle help.) Then, for him, it just became the place where he goes to sleep.
    Same thing here, 9 years ago... and another 12 too... ;-)
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Romeo Delight lil_redrocker5150's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose just one
    Last Online

12.02.12 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the insider View Post
    will he sleep in your bed with you? maybe that's a start...at least get him sleeping in a bed instead of a car seat. plus, babies are awesome to snuggle up with at night.
    As much as I agree with the last part, DO NOT sleep with your babies!!! that is a horrible accident waiting to happen... I have heard and seen so many stories about babies being accidentally smothered and suffocated by their parents... not a good idea at all...
    waiting for inspiration to take place here....

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 10 Posts

My niece was tricky too. We finally figured out that if we took her for a drive, she would fall asleep almost instantly, as in around the block. Then she was out.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

its all about routine....same bedtime routine everynight. My girls are 6 and 3, and we have no problem at all putting them to bed. However, this is how we "trained" them since they were babies.

As babies, bath right before bed....soothes and signals to them that its bedtime. Fresh diaper. Next, bottle/quiet time. Both our babies would fall asleep after the bottle and we'd lay them on our bed and let them sleep for a good 30 min. to an hour. Then I would transfer them to the basinet or later on the crib. If they woke up in the night, we would not take them out of the basinet or crib rather listen to their cries. Screaming bloody murder meant one of us would get up and gently pat her back and make "sssh sssh" sounds until she went back to sleep....this took time and patience (sometimes an hour). Little whiney cries, we would just listen and sometimes she would fall back to sleep on her own. Bottom line, if you want your babies to sleep in the crib, you have to resist taking them out. Stick to the same routine every single night, without fail.

My girls started sleeping in their own rooms, in their own beds at 2 1/2 years old. Of course our routine has changed a little, but we stick to it every single night. My girls bathe, story time, prayers, bed...without fail. I went out yesterday, (wed. night) because my girls go to bed by 8 pm. and I know I can go out like at 10pm for a few beers no problem. A few of my friends cannot because they are still trying to put their kids to bed at 10 or 11 pm. "train" your children's bedtime routine right, and stick to it...you won't regret it. Good Luck!
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I'm with Eden on this one. They have to just learn that it's time to sleep now, otherwise, they are the ones "learning you". That's what we had to do with my son who's two now. I wish we had just done that with our daughter too, instead of trying some of the other things mentioned here so far. Hindsight truly is 20/20
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Everyone in our family is hooked on those "white noise" sound spa machines. Both of our kids used them and have since birth and they can sleep through anything.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    Everyone in our family is hooked on those "white noise" sound spa machines.
    My wife and I always use white noise in our room and in our son's room. This is an excellent suggestion.

My son (2 yr. old) has been sleeping through the night since 6 weeks. The sleeping through the night occurred almost simultaneously with us adding formula feedings before bed. I'm not sure if there is any correlation or causation, but my wife and I noticed that our son slept much better after a formula feeding.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    My niece was tricky too. We finally figured out that if we took her for a drive, she would fall asleep almost instantly, as in around the block. Then she was out.

GAS PRICES ARE HIGH RIGHT NOW DUDE , THAT WONT WORK.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As many have mentioned, routine. As suggested at relatively the same time, bath or just a damp cloth wash off and change of diaper and clothes, storytime (even as infants, I held them and read a short story), prayers with a little rocking then bed. Do what works for you. At first, they may fuss. Let them cry checking on them every 10-15 minutes. Maybe the first time, pickup them up or better yet, leave them in the crib laying them back down and rub their back. If they stand up, rub their back and talk soothingly to them. Then walk out and give it another 10-15 minutes, go back in but don't pickup them up. Rub, sooth and walk out. Increase time and eventually, they fall asleep. It's rough, I won't lie to you and when I did it, I would actually just lie down on the floor outside their bedroom knowing I would have to go right back in. But once you establish that the crib is where they sleep and the routine, I promise they will quickly and easily go to bed.

Establishing the routine will help down the road when it's time for school. I have a friend that was a stay home mom and was more of a night owl so she let her boys have more of a sleep late/go to bed late routine. When it was time to start school, it was horrible to get the boys to bed which would not happen until 10:00 or 11:00pm. Having to get up at 6:30 or 7:00 to get ready for school meant they didn't want to get out of bed and when they did, they were tired and cranky. Doing it now will be worth it in the long run.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to sing songs to my daughter, or told stories, while lying on the floor. I freely admit my singing sucks, and Rock Band verified this, but she used to go out after a while. I remember running out of kids' songs, and singing "I'm The One" in a very gentle voice. The routine usually worked, some days better than others, but after a while just her knowing that I was there seemed to comfort her.
    <Insert favorite VH song lyrics here>