Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default *** Quebec City REVIEWS 7.03 ***

REVIEWS ONLY! I will delete any non-review posts so dont even think about it.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

can't pick - Van Halen I & II
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.05.12 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well I am back from the show. The good news for all of you who didn't go is... they didn't play Little Guitars nor did they play any other new and/or different material - same exact setlist.

The bad news for all of you who didn't go was that Ed might have played the best he did the whole tour. This was the 12th show I went to and have heard recordings of others and this was the winner in my ears. I was surprised overall by how tight they played - I was expecting with a month off would leave them a bit rusty and "off" but they were far from it. Alex was great as always... Wolf looked like he might have trimmed down a bit. Ed was spot on in every song but maybe one (more later) and Dave's voice actually improved as the show wore on and he got comfortable and warmed up. (it had been raining all day and was a bit chilly - maybe 60F).

I was also surprised by the sound and the mix - with the exception of a couple fuck-ups on the levels of Dave's mics (too weak), or Eds guitar (too loud) they did a great job, and the sound was big for an outside show. I enjoyed listening to it a little louder than we had been able to in an enclosed arena. The mix guys obviously work for the band - I dont think the lighting guys do - they must have a Canadian union or something... and they kept screwing up the lights that they flash during AtCWR, and ATBL... in addition, they kept missing their sound cues to spotlight Dave/Wolfie/Ed when they weren't centerstage and left them out there in the darkness for several seconds - random but noted.

The whole festival is pretty chill so you have a bunch of Quebecquoises who are just out watching the show as part of this 10-day celebration of the 400th birthday of their fair city with their compatriots, and then you have a few hard-core VH fans. (like me, but I am the stealth fan! ) I think VH played well to both of us. There were about 60 thousand people there by my estimation, both in the field in front of the stage and the hill a ways back.

Setlist:
    You Really Got Me
    nothing different
    I'm the One ditto
    Runnin with the Devil ditto
    ROmeo Delight Dave ad-libbed some stairway to heaven lyrics
    Somebody get me a Doctor
    Beautiful Girls
    Dance the NIght Away
    Atomic Punk

Everybody Wants Some!! Ed got out the drill - and it cursed him, he didn't play this one well.
    So This is Love? Dave is still classic. He intro's this song after praising Wolf's base line on the intro and goes in to this story about how 400 yrs ago (today is Quebec City's 400th bday), Lincoln came up the St Laurent RIver and met up with Napoleon and they freed the slaves! Then he commented that he was a "little fuzzy on the fucking details" and they kept playing.
    Mean Street dave did a mid-song rap that was the lyrics to "New York, New York" by Sinatra
    Pretty Woman
    Al's solo - awesome as usual.
    Unchained - back to Dave picking on Wolfie during the interlude... "Hey Wolf, that suit is YOU... did you purchase that in QUEBEC?"
    I'll Wait
    And the Cradle will Rock...
    Hot for Teacher
    LIttle Dreamer
    Little Guitars just kidding!!!!
    Jamies Cryin

Ice Cream Man did a little bit of the rap about Stan driving the truck, them emptying out the truck to use as a beer fridge... didn't talk about passin joints both ways or the dartboard, etc.... just said "that was Summer 1972". Played the song great.
    Panama just flat out rocked.
    Ed's Solo -Dave intro'd him as the still heavyweight champ of the world at the conclusion. The solo was the abridged one without any drills or drumsticks or 316. He played it clean and tight... just like nearly everything all night long.
    Aint Talkin Bout Love wasn't the best version I have heard on this tour
    1984 that red flag is getting tattered
    Jump was raucous and fun... they really seemed to be having a good time, and wistful that it was over.
    the end

Oh and Dave made a comment towards the end of the show that this would be the last show on their tour... although I could watch this nostalgia forever, I would really like the glue of new material to strengthen their bond right now. They did all seem genuinely friendly. Wolf might have been the happiest of all - he was the last off the stage, looking back.

Hopefully also looking forward - to getting in to the recording studio!!

Alright being that I am a true patriot I have to go to bed as my flight leaves here in 5 hours to get back to the family BBQ. It was nice of those Quebecquois to have fireworks for us tonight too...

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts

Default VH Quebec show

Does anyone know how many people were at the gig??
    ITS 5150 TIME

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

04.26.09 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Their was about 90,000 people at the concert.

Favorite VH Album

fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's very cool. wish I went..
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

www.myspace.com/patvh5150

http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Basically, same show as the one I saw in Montreal last November (minus "Little Guitars"), except it was much, much better!!!

Playing-wise, it was top-notch. The sound was exceptional, especially since it was outside. Many of my musician buddies were a bit skeptical, not expecting much from the band but left flabbergasted!

All the guys were in a good mood, especially Dave, making several mentions of Québec's 400th anniversary, which the crowd appreciated. It was nice from him!
    And yes, that little history lesson of his was funny as hell!!!

One thing CalGirl didn't mention is they played Cream's "Crossroads" during SGMAD. That was new for me.

All in all, it was a wonderful evening and the weather couldn't have been better. Sometimes Mother Nature is on our side!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm still here in Ottawa and I have to agree a great time had by all!

Yes same setlist without LG but the band was tight and Wolfgang impressed me and has obviously had gained more confidence since the last time I saw the band perform. So much for the "fake" bass playing remarks which was totally idiotic to even assume. We spoke to a few techs afterwards and mentioned some of the criticism Wolf takes and his bass playing presumed fake. They're techs and you would think they'd never admit it either way working for the band but they totally laughed about the assumption regardless.

Definitely plenty of non-VH fans coming and going throughout the set and it was cool to see everyone light up the park with flashing red button passes. We stood about half way back in the crowd and for an outdoor concert, loud as ever for VH!

I took some pictures but nothing in comparison to the pictures I took for the VH shows I saw previously. Nonetheless, I'll put them up here when I leave Ottawa and get home, if anyone wants to see them.

A great concert to end a successful tour that VH hasn't experienced in years!
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.08.08 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default View From the Front Row

This is my first posting. I just have to share my experience in Quebec City on July 3rd. I have been following Van Halen since 1979 and they, more specifically Edward is the reason I first started playing guitar. Since 1979 I have followed their every move. I was upset when Dave left in 84 but continued to follow the boys. First saw them in Montreal in 92 and really enjoyed the show.

Flash to the present and 16 years later. I live about 7 hours east of Quebec City and Thursday morning at 5:30am, my son, 19; my brother-in-law, and I jumped in my car and headed to see the "Mighty Van Halen. I had no tickets but was told there would be some available, I was doubltful but we took a chance. It rained the whole way, it poured to be honest. We got there and got tickets for $30.00... WOW. With about 4 hours until the show started we just mulled around. I could hear them doing a sound check, then I heard a divebomb that I knew was Edward. We walked towards where the concert was going to be. We can up over a knoll and just kept walking, past the entrance as there was no one there and pretty much walked right down to the stage. Couldn't believe it. We got to watch about 45 minutes of the sound check. They went throught a number of full songs.

There was only a handful of people there watching, someone yelled graet going Ed, he looked over and I waved.. and he waved back... so cool. After they finished we could see the lines forming and knew that they would like do a sweep so we went and got in line. 2 and half hours later they let us in.

We ended up in the front row right in from of Wolfgang and other than maybe being a little too close due to the height of the stage it was awesome. It was surreal seeing Dave come out to the front of the stage. I loved every minute if it. Edward was great and looked great. I see he was sporting a ring on his wedding ring finger...did he get remarried?

Dave was Dave and looked great too, he too was better than I ever thought he could be, he is the ultimate frontman. Alex was rock solid as always and looked great too. To be honest, they all looked about 10 yesrs younger than I expected.

I was impredded with Wolfgang's playing. Here is a 17 year old kid playing with the greatest band in the world and he did it. He has some chops, he looked ot be having a great time as did his father.

They played for very close to 2 hours. and whenthe shoed ended we looked to make a quick exit as we were heading home that night, as I had a gig of my own the next day at 1pm. I thought we would be forever getting out of town,but there were firworks and everyone stood around to watch. We picked up VH t-shirts on our way out and there wasn't a person out in the streets, we got to our car and within 20 minutes were out on the highway.

I drove for 4 hours before pulling over and sleeping for an hour and a half and then got back on the road. Got back to town in time to shower, grab a bite and load up my gear for my gig. I was a little scatter-brained but got through the gig. I was wrecked to be honest but I wouldn't have done it any differently. Awesome show and real treat to see the boys put on a great performance. No complaints at all.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 2,066 Times in 670 Posts

Great review
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool glad you had a great time vanwhalen
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

www.myspace.com/patvh5150

http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 Thru 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Whalen, Dude! You are Hardcore!!No tickets driving to show, wander into soundcheck, full show, drive directly back, sleep on "the road", shower, shave and off to the gig? Dude, YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!!
    (bows in "I'm not worthy" salute)

Hell, I was tired after just reading the review.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Not the greatest pics considering the others I took from all the other shows in the pit. But here are a few as promised.

Enjoy!

Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well just getting around to posting this now. Here are a few video clips I shot during the concert. They are certainly not the best picture quality but the sound is fine.

You really get a true perspective and real vibe what to expect on this special night on YRGM just before the guys hit the stage!

Certainly worth the trip up to Quebec because it was the best playing I've heard from Ed in years! Dave was great as usual as was the rest of the band! Very tight!

Enjoy it!!!