Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Man who killed burglary suspects cleared

This man deserves a medal!!!!

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A Texas man who shot and killed two men he suspected of burglarizing his neighbor's home was cleared in the shootings Monday by a grand jury.
    Joe Horn shot and killed two men last November after he saw them crawl out a neighbor's window.

Joe Horn shot and killed two men last November after he saw them crawl out a neighbor's window.

Joe Horn, 61, shot the two men in November after he saw them crawling out the windows of a neighbor's house in the Houston suburb of Pasadena.

Horn called 911 and told the dispatcher he had a shotgun and was going to kill the men. The dispatcher pleaded with him not to go outside, but Horn confronted the men with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot both in the back.

"The message we're trying to send today is the criminal justice system works," Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson said.

Horn's attorney, Tom Lambright, has said his client believed the two men had broken into his neighbor's home and that he shot them only when they came into his yard and threatened him.

The two Horn suspected of committing burglary, Hernando Riascos Torres, 38, and Diego Ortiz, 30, were unemployed illegal immigrants from Colombia. Torres was deported to Colombia in 1999 after a 1994 cocaine-related conviction.

The episode touched off protests from civil rights activists who said the shooting was racially motivated and that Horn took the law into his own hands. Horn's supporters defended his actions, saying he was protecting himself and being a good neighbor to a homeowner who was out of town.

"I understand the concerns of some in the community regarding Mr. Horn's conduct," Magidson said. "The use of deadly force is carefully limited in Texas law to certain circumstances ... In this case, however, the grand jury concluded that Mr. Horn's use of deadly force did not rise to a criminal offense."

Lambright did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment from The Associated Press.

Texas law allows people to use deadly force to protect themselves if it is reasonable to believe they are in mortal danger. In limited circumstances, people also can use deadly force to protect a neighbor's property; for example, if a homeowner asks a neighbor to watch over his property while he's out of town.

It's not clear whether the neighbor whose home was burglarized asked Horn to watch over his house.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    We don't fuck around here in Texas. I would have done the same thing.

Now I ask you people that are chomping at the bit about this. Who do you want as your neighbor? You want myself and Joe Horn, that's who. You can leave on a burly vacation with the kids and the mother in law knowing that I got your back. And your side window to boot. Why in the hell do fucking thugs, even the illegal ones, not know this about Texas?

Let the hating begin. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

women & children first
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing among others
    Last Online

09.25.08 @ 11:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i live in texas outside of dallas and while im glad mr. horn didnt go down for this and street justice was delivered this wasnt a wise move.. furthermore it only perpetuates stereotypes about our great state and while newsworthy i wish the news would do stories about the great people that live here and what a nice area it is.. of course if it bleeds it leads so i have no chance of the news helping change the ridiculous stereotype people insist on perpetuating about texas.. i guess people will have to come down here and experiance it themselves.. here's a hint though,,, dont do anything stupid and dont mess w/ texas!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love how the BBC piece described the Diego guy as a "family man". What kind of family man breaks into another man's home and steals his shit??? Family man my fat, black ass!!!!

Undoubtedly, the widow of Diego is going to file a multi-million dollar lawsuit against this guy and will more than likely win a substantial amount of money. She'll either sue Horn, the 911 operator or the city for not stopping the shootings. All because of WHOM? These fucking idiots who decided to ROB SOMEONE ELSES HOME!!!

God, this shit pisses me off....
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    I love how the BBC piece described the Diego guy as a "family man". What kind of family man breaks into another man's home and steals his shit??? Family man my fat, black ass!!!!

Undoubtedly, the widow of Diego is going to file a multi-million dollar lawsuit against this guy and will more than likely win a substantial amount of money. She'll either sue Horn, the 911 operator or the city for not stopping the shootings. All because of WHOM? These fucking idiots who decided to ROB SOMEONE ELSES HOME!!!

God, this shit pisses me off....
    It's natural for BBC to report it like that. In Britain the guy would have been thrown in jail for homicide. Hell, in Britain the guy would have been given a sentence if he had injured any of them. Here, you can not harm a person, regardless if you're starting a brawl in a bar, or if you find them in your home trying to rape your wife.

That's something that should piss you off. It certainly does it for me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Here, you can not harm a person, regardless if you're starting a brawl in a bar, or if you find them in your home trying to rape your wife.

So, you're telling me that if I lived in England, and a guy was trying to rape my wife, I have no right to use whatever force deemed necessary to stop him? What are you supposed to do? Sit there and watch or wiat for the cops to get there? Which, by that time, she could be dead? Yeah, that makes sense....

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

It's natural for BBC to report it like that. In Britain the guy would have been thrown in jail for homicide. Hell, in Britain the guy would have been given a sentence if he had injured any of them. Here, you can not harm a person, regardless if you're starting a brawl in a bar, or if you find them in your home trying to rape your wife.

That's something that should piss you off. It certainly does it for me.
    Not all completely true my friend. A huge debate several years ago resolved this issue. If you are in your own home and an intruder puts your life in danger, you are allowed to kill in self defence. It has happened a few times and the killer has walked with a justifiable homicide type record.
    This debate was raging in the Labour parties early years when they were trying to decide if the law needed changing. Ultimately it was decided that the law covered this ground adequately.
    You are right that if this case had occured in the UK the man would have been jailed, but the reason is that, from what I have read, he shot both intruders in the back. If someone has their back to you, they are not attacking, they are probably fleeing. Several high profile UK cases rested their convinctions on this distinction.
    The law in the UK is not quite as black and white as the alarmists would have us believe. Simple case in point: I know someone who was recently glassed in a bar. He turned around and hit the guy twice(broken ribs and jaw). When the attacker cum victim tried to press charges he was told he would be wasting his time. Enough witnesses had him as assailant and my friend was not charged. It was justified use of force. Had he done a lot more damage perhaps things would have been different. There is a pretty obvious distinction between defending yourself and losing the plot and actually trying to kill someone out of anger.
    We have a sad situation here though in that many people will not try to help someone out because of fear of legal repercussions. All too often those fears are completely unfounded and are based on perceptions from extremely reckless journalism that seeks to sensationalise some very unique cases.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    [B]. The dispatcher pleaded with him not to go outside, but Horn confronted the men with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot both in the back.

First let me say I am all for personal protection and protection of personal property, but how do you shoot someone in the back and get away with it? I would think that any half way decent attorney would try to prove the deceased was trying to flee.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Not all completely true my friend. A huge debate several years ago resolved this issue. If you are in your own home and an intruder puts your life in danger, you are allowed to kill in self defence. It has happened a few times and the killer has walked with a justifiable homicide type record.
    This debate was raging in the Labour parties early years when they were trying to decide if the law needed changing. Ultimately it was decided that the law covered this ground adequately.
    You are right that if this case had occured in the UK the man would have been jailed, but the reason is that, from what I have read, he shot both intruders in the back. If someone has their back to you, they are not attacking, they are probably fleeing. Several high profile UK cases rested their convinctions on this distinction.
    The law in the UK is not quite as black and white as the alarmists would have us believe. Simple case in point: I know someone who was recently glassed in a bar. He turned around and hit the guy twice(broken ribs and jaw). When the attacker cum victim tried to press charges he was told he would be wasting his time. Enough witnesses had him as assailant and my friend was not charged. It was justified use of force. Had he done a lot more damage perhaps things would have been different. There is a pretty obvious distinction between defending yourself and losing the plot and actually trying to kill someone out of anger.
    We have a sad situation here though in that many people will not try to help someone out because of fear of legal repercussions. All too often those fears are completely unfounded and are based on perceptions from extremely reckless journalism that seeks to sensationalise some very unique cases.
    If there's enough witnesses, maybe. What if you break the guy's spine and he goes into paralysis, and then tells the officials he was just drunk and confused your home for his?

My neighbour's friend was to pay fine because he had shattered glass on his window still and the robber who tried to burglar into his house cut his hands. He sued the guy for having shattered glass on his window still. What was he doing climbing up the window, apparently wasn't court's concern.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    So, you're telling me that if I lived in England, and a guy was trying to rape my wife, I have no right to use whatever force deemed necessary to stop him? What are you supposed to do? Sit there and watch or wiat for the cops to get there? Which, by that time, she could be dead? Yeah, that makes sense....
    I hope graeme is right, but once again it's the case of your life being in danger. If you kill someone just trespassing on your property - well.

Personally I would kick the shit out of the motherfucker and only then call the cops. It's kinda the case with shoplifters in my company. I have a hard time with those and I had a councelling with the manager's board commision. Apparently, if a thug confronts me, I'm meant to "run and hide in the staff area". I told them if I'm confronted - I fight back , but apparently if that's the case I'm getting fired and reported to the cops as well as the other guy.

Go figure

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hope graeme is right, but once again it's the case of your life being in danger. If you kill someone just trespassing on your property - well.

Personally I would kick the shit out of the motherfucker and only then call the cops. It's kinda the case with shoplifters in my company. I have a hard time with those and I had a councelling with the manager's board commision. Apparently, if a thug confronts me, I'm meant to "run and hide in the staff area". I told them if I'm confronted - I fight back , but apparently if that's the case I'm getting fired and reported to the cops as well as the other guy.

Go figure
    Well, that is just exsquisite bullshit! Unbelieveable... Since when did the criminals become the victims here? You're expected to cower down to these animals? No f-ing way... Defend yourself. Plain and simple.....

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weesfreewheelin View Post
    First let me say I am all for personal protection and protection of personal property, but how do you shoot someone in the back and get away with it? I would think that any half way decent attorney would try to prove the deceased was trying to flee.
    I'm about as pro 2nd amendment as they come, and i somewhat agree. If these guys were IN my house i would have no problem shooting them, but if they're fleeing outside, i couldnt just shoot them in the back, fire in the air to hopefully scare them to never come back...but geez, the 911 tape is kinda cryptic.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

As I understand it, a policeman came up to the scene as it happened. So there was a credible witness to the events.
    Also, it was said on the local news that one of the burglars was charging Mr. Horn and turned right as he was fired upon. As for the other guy, I haven't heard anything about him.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

but how do you shoot someone in the back and get away with it? I would think that any half way decent attorney would try to prove the deceased was trying to flee.
    Right. The deceased were trying to flee a crime scene. I hope they suffered before they died.