Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Peavey 5150II tubes

Is there any way to test the tubes in an amp? My 5150II sounds a little weird. All tubes are glowing but just sounds off. I bought it off ebay about a year and a half ago so I don't know the life on the tubes. Any ideas?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tap the tubes with a pencil and listen for a squeal. They mightbe mocrophonic. That the pramp tubes.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

You are probably long overdue for tubes. A year and a half is a long time to go on a set of tubes in a 5150. Considering that the tubes are probably much older than that, since it is unlikely that the person you bought it from re-tubed it before he sold it.
    I would go through pre-amp tubes about every 8 months, and power tubes about every year and a half in my 5150 combo.

That being said, it's probably your pre-amp tubes. Replacement is something you can do on your own. Simply remove the old ones and replace them with new ones. No biasing is required to replace your pre-amp tubes. I've always had the best luck with JJ and Ei Tubes. Ei's have great tone, but burn up quicker than the JJ's. Never had a good experience using Groove Tubes.

If your amp starts sounding funny, 9 times out of 10 it will be the pre-amp tubes. If your amp seems to be weak, losing power or breaking up, it is more than likely your power tubes.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    You are probably long overdue for tubes. A year and a half is a long time to go on a set of tubes in a 5150. Considering that the tubes are probably much older than that, since it is unlikely that the person you bought it from re-tubed it before he sold it.
    I would go through pre-amp tubes about every 8 months, and power tubes about every year and a half in my 5150 combo.

That being said, it's probably your pre-amp tubes. Replacement is something you can do on your own. Simply remove the old ones and replace them with new ones. No biasing is required to replace your pre-amp tubes. I've always had the best luck with JJ and Ei Tubes. Ei's have great tone, but burn up quicker than the JJ's. Never had a good experience using Groove Tubes.

If your amp starts sounding funny, 9 times out of 10 it will be the pre-amp tubes. If your amp seems to be weak, losing power or breaking up, it is more than likely your power tubes.
    What tubes came stock in it?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Anyone?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

12AX7 preamp tubes and 6L6(GC) power tubes. They are probably ones that say something about China on them... or nothing at all on the glass. I think most of those Power tubes had brown plastic on the bottoms...

Take a pencil and lightly tap each of your (6) preamp tubes. If they ring like a bell, or squeal, then they are microphonic, and need to be replaced. I would go ahead and do ALL of them if 1 is bad -- you're probably overdue.
    Powertubes are harder to diagnose, but if you know your amp is quieter at a given volume level then before, then they might be going bad. You can get a kit for the whole amp, or just buy individual tubes here

http://www.eurotubes.com/

Eurotubes carries JJ tubes, which are probably the best being made currently. NOS tubes might be a little better, but are also much more $$$.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Buy the JJ or Electro-Harmonix tubes. Don't buy Groove Tubes.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

My Combo came with Sovteks. I've heard of them coming with other types of tubes in them though.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Anyone ever try the old NOS tubes from the 70's off ebay. The Phillips and RCA are the ones I'm looking at. Would there be an advantage or better sound?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone ever try the old NOS tubes from the 70's off ebay. The Phillips and RCA are the ones I'm looking at. Would there be an advantage or better sound?
    The short answer is yes and no.

It really depends completely on the amp you are putting the tubes in. For example, my original 5150 sounds WORSE in a lot of situations with a $120 RCA NOS preamp tube in V1. It also sounds worse for what I'm playing with JJ preamp tubes in it. I've been the most happy with cheap Shanguang (generic chinese tubes) in the preamp in that amp! I do have really nice Winged =C= tubes in the power section of that amp though, and that sounds best out of about 6 brands I've tried.

On the other hand, my handbuilt custom SLO type amp sounds pretty dang good with JJ's and other types of tubes in it. JJ's seem to sound really fantastic in a lot of Marshalls and old marshall clones. A lot of amps can respond really well to NOS preamp tubes or mixes of different brand preamp tubes. NOS 6L6 tubes like Sylvanias or Philips/GE tubes can cost a ton but sound like magic in many amps.

It really just depends on what tubes the amp was designed for, and what just happens to work in each particular amp. As long as you stick with the same tube type, try some different brands for the preamp -- even mix and match different brands. I wouldn't mix different brand tubes in the power section though -- but you can try different brand matched sets. See if you find a huge improvement, or if it all sounds the same. In one amp, a $150 NOS preamp tube might make it sound like a completely different amp. In another amp, you might not even be able to tell the $150 tube from a $10 chinese tube.

Just experiment, but be careful.... one can go completely overboard and borderline obsessive about endlessly swapping tubes trying to chase that perfect tone....

NOTE: with the Peavey 5150's -- that amp was designed around the amazing Sylvania/GE 6L6's. They sound FANTASTIC in the Peavey 5150 line. The original 5150 I's shipped with Sylvanias, which is what Ed always used in them (except maybe in 2004). I do know that Ed bought up a massive stash of NOS Sylvania/GE/Philips 6L6's... that should tell you something about them. The winged =C= 6L6's I use in my Block Letter 5150 are supposed to be very similar to the Sylvania 6L6. I wish someone would make a reissue/exact copy of those tubes.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 12.28.10 at 09:08 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i use NOS Mullards in my 5150 and it sounds incredible, the gain is slightly lower/smoother and the buzzsaw charicteristic is reduced by some degree, the only downside is that they don't last terribly long and are very expensive. I have considered looking at cryo treated tubes but somethig at the back of my mind keeps telling me it's just a gimmick.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    The short answer is yes and no.

It really depends completely on the amp you are putting the tubes in. For example, my original 5150 sounds WORSE in a lot of situations with a $120 RCA NOS preamp tube in V1. It also sounds worse for what I'm playing with JJ preamp tubes in it. I've been the most happy with cheap Shanguang (generic chinese tubes) in the preamp in that amp! I do have really nice Winged =C= tubes in the power section of that amp though, and that sounds best out of about 6 brands I've tried.

On the other hand, my handbuilt custom SLO type amp sounds pretty dang good with JJ's and other types of tubes in it. JJ's seem to sound really fantastic in a lot of Marshalls and old marshall clones. A lot of amps can respond really well to NOS preamp tubes or mixes of different brand preamp tubes. NOS 6L6 tubes like Sylvanias or Philips/GE tubes can cost a ton but sound like magic in many amps.

It really just depends on what tubes the amp was designed for, and what just happens to work in each particular amp. As long as you stick with the same tube type, try some different brands for the preamp -- even mix and match different brands. I wouldn't mix different brand tubes in the power section though -- but you can try different brand matched sets. See if you find a huge improvement, or if it all sounds the same. In one amp, a $150 NOS preamp tube might make it sound like a completely different amp. In another amp, you might not even be able to tell the $150 tube from a $10 chinese tube.

Just experiment, but be careful.... one can go completely overboard and borderline obsessive about endlessly swapping tubes trying to chase that perfect tone....

NOTE: with the Peavey 5150's -- that amp was designed around the amazing Sylvania/GE 6L6's. They sound FANTASTIC in the Peavey 5150 line. The original 5150 I's shipped with Sylvanias, which is what Ed always used in them (except maybe in 2004). I do know that Ed bought up a massive stash of NOS Sylvania/GE/Philips 6L6's... that should tell you something about them. The winged =C= 6L6's I use in my Block Letter 5150 are supposed to be very similar to the Sylvania 6L6. I wish someone would make a reissue/exact copy of those tubes.
    here here..(sound of clapping) you're getting pretty good!