Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Epiphone Les Paul Custom

I've been looking at the Gibson Les Paul lately and well ... I've decided I'm just not in a position to put out that kind of scratch on a guitar right now, so ... as an alternative, I began looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls.

I found this one on eBay with what I felt was a good BIN price and snatched it up.

It's an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Made in Korea.
    The guitar is anywhere from 15 to 20 years old and has the rare Gibson style "open book" headstock.

I found the guitar to be in pretty good condition for it's age.
    The factory paint has begun to yellow a bit and all signs seem to indicate it's nitro.
    The neck has a thinner and much more comfortable compound radius then today's Epiphones, which IMO feel like a baseball bat.

I've got ALOT of really cool mods in mind for this guitar, but I figured I'd snap a few pics before I start tearing it apart.

I know it's not a "top of the line" Les Paul, but I really like this guitar ALOT.
    (*cough* much nicer than the Wolfgang *cough*)
    Sorry ... I couldn't resist.

Stay tuned for some really cool mods.

Last edited by Dino5150; 06.30.08 at 10:08 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

ya know its no secret that i hate Les Pauls with a passion, but i too have been hankering for the tone of one for a while, but every single one i've played recently has turned me off to them even more, yeah they sound great (if ya get a good un) but the weight and neck (also what i refer to as a "heavy" action) just make me shy away from them, i may be considering an epi that way its no biggie when i get bored of it and decide to kill it.
    i must say though dino mate i do like the look of this one, personaly i'd leave the slightly yellowing finish and just upgrade the electrics and hardware
    burstbuckers or maybe a set of actives decent bridge and tuners then its sorted.

just my $0.02 though
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have a black 1991 epi custom. got it at a pawn shop for 200 bucks.
    its worn in really nice. i think they said the cat who had it before was a jazz player or something.

i put a 500T humbucker in the bridge , and a Dimarzio Norton in the neck

wired it to just the volume knobs , installed a ground out/killswitch button (ala buckethead's guitar) and moved the pick up selector to the other empty toneknob hole.

i do like the low action and put .48 strings on it. i dont use it for live playing but it is good for recording and jamming , noodling .

just need to get some new bridge saddles and tuners soon. why does gold hardware have to cost more ?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is one sweet score!
    Lots of room to play with that puppy.
    Im glad you bit the bullit.
    Lookin forward to some mod action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Good looking guitar.

I've got a 1990 epi Les Paul that I use as my main guitar. It's got a great tone, which is the main reason that I have continued to use it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

The paint's starting to yellow, show stress cracks, and sink into the grain ... all the reasons I don't use nitro, but at the same time ... it's all the same reasons why I really like this paintjob.

It just looks "vintage" and I think that's a perfect look for this guitar.

The "open book" headstock sorta dates the guitar which I really like too.
    You don't see too many of them.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I like that "sinking into the grain" look. Gives the illusion that the finish is real thin. And we know how thin finish turns on the corksniffers.
    That's what I replicated with my Lester. If you really look hard, you can see, very faintly, the grain. So faint, I cant get a good pic of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Hey Dino,

That's a really nice Paul you got...it kind of reminds me of the Gibson LP that Randy Rhoads was known for playing..
    I have an Epi LP Standard I got last year on ebay..it's set up beautifully and plays better than my brother's Gibson LP Classic..the only noticeable difference are the pickups, IMO...just not as much bite as the Gibsons..an easy solution to that would be to replace the bridge pickup, maybe with a Gibson "Dirty Fingers" pickup..anyway, it looks like you got a nice one..congrats.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, the pickups don't sound half bad, but I've already got a set of Gibson '57 Classics on the way.

I'll be rewiring the guitar for (2) volumes and (1) master tone control.
    Doing this will allow me to add the mod I want while keeping the guitar looking stock.

Limiting the guitar to one master tone control is no big deal to me.
    I usually just keep them both on "10" anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Great score Dino. Looks real nice. I agree with Tommy as far as the current Gibby's sound.
    Iv'e been trying to get over the Epiphone stigma, as I think I would really like one of their Korina models. With the current outlandish pricing that Gibson appears to be quite comfortable charging, I say fuck the U.S. division! People still say Epiphone just plain sucks but I think they are remembering the models of the past ten years. The ones where the bridge could be off by 3/4" of an inch, or wired wrong with dead shorts, or frets plain popping out of the slots. They've since recognized the shortfalls and moved plants to China. I can tell you that the recent Epi Pauls I have played
    actually sound more lively than the comparitively unresponsive, dead sounding Gibsons. All you need to do is upgrade the hardware and youv'e got about as good a guitar as any. Would I prefer to keep money at home and pay workers here? You bet, but common sense must dictate. The market will respond eventually with lower prices from the U.S. built plants, but people have been spending so freely for so long with money they don't have, that manufactures have been able to charge whatever they want with little complaint. But $4.000.00, or even $7.000.00 for a let's be honest, design of yesterday, is complete outright lunacy. Anyway. That's my rant for the day. Again great score Dino .I hope you enjoy it. Have fun!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen? What site is this?
    Favorite VH Song

Rare demo: They peed on my Rug
    Last Online

11.09.08 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Epi's are decent quality IMO. Biggest problem I have had is the tuners. Out of the box, Epi's just won't stay in tune. Sg, Paul, I've tried em all.

Of course there is something to be said for a professional set up also.

For the record, new here, HELLO!

Sid

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Great score Dino. Looks real nice. I agree with Tommy as far as the current Gibby's sound.
    Iv'e been trying to get over the Epiphone stigma, as I think I would really like one of their Korina models. With the current outlandish pricing that Gibson appears to be quite comfortable charging, I say fuck the U.S. division! People still say Epiphone just plain sucks but I think they are remembering the models of the past ten years. The ones where the bridge could be off by 3/4" of an inch, or wired wrong with dead shorts, or frets plain popping out of the slots. They've since recognized the shortfalls and moved plants to China. I can tell you that the recent Epi Pauls I have played
    actually sound more lively than the comparitively unresponsive, dead sounding Gibsons. All you need to do is upgrade the hardware and youv'e got about as good a guitar as any. Would I prefer to keep money at home and pay workers here? You bet, but common sense must dictate. The market will respond eventually with lower prices from the U.S. built plants, but people have been spending so freely for so long with money they don't have, that manufactures have been able to charge whatever they want with little complaint. But $4.000.00, or even $7.000.00 for a let's be honest, design of yesterday, is complete outright lunacy. Anyway. That's my rant for the day. Again great score Dino .I hope you enjoy it. Have fun!
    I agree. Gibson seems to be pretty arrogant from what I've seen heard. Just like the minimum dollar charges for distributors, to downright overpriced products. Sure it's a quality product, but the "Gibson" name on the headstock is what you are paying for. Thats why you see a lot of players playing ESP, Washburn, or other LP clones that are probably just as good at more down to earth prices, and the companys are much better to work with. Actually, I just read an article in Guitar World with Vivian Cambell. He says something to the effect of "I love playing Les Pauls, but I don't want to give them any press because they treat their artists like shit and they've been going downhill for a while".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    I agree. Gibson seems to be pretty arrogant from what I've seen heard. Just like the minimum dollar charges for distributors, to downright overpriced products. Sure it's a quality product, but the "Gibson" name on the headstock is what you are paying for. Thats why you see a lot of players playing ESP, Washburn, or other LP clones that are probably just as good at more down to earth prices, and the companys are much better to work with. Actually, I just read an article in Guitar World with Vivian Cambell. He says something to the effect of "I love playing Les Pauls, but I don't want to give them any press because they treat their artists like shit and they've been going downhill for a while".
    I didn't read that but I just think that nowaday's you could string a Louisville Slugger and get a better tone than some of the "Premium Priced" Les Pauls as of late. I really miss mine though. It was a '90. Red wine finished with a beautiful Ebony neck. Back in the day, I paid $1,200.00 brand new but that was a perfect example of quality workmanship. Not a flaw could be found inside or out. Glue joints were air tight and invisible and the finish gorgeous tranlucent burgundy. The grain of the one pice mahagany back was perfectly parallel to the axis of the guitar. The sustain went for days! This was the only guitar that I used the tone controls and it still sounded good. Why did I sell it? I was afraid of damaging it. It was simply too nice for a guy like me to own! I play hard and the spaces we had to play in were tiny. That first nick in the headstock from a cymbal almost gave me a heart attack! I sold it to a friend and he just loves it. Says he wants to be buried with it.LOL
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hey on the subject of new tuners , does anyone what size are the tuners for epi les pauls ? i need to get a new set and think ill go with those before getting new bridge saddles.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

my personal experience's with both gibson and epiphone have mainly been disappointing, every gibson or epi i've owned has had the same issue's:
    overly soft fret wire...one of my gibsons needed a re-fret within a year!
    poor quality electrics....on a LP an SG and later an MIII, all needed the pot's replacing within a few months, i did get them done under warantee but the issue came up again very quickly so i replaced them myself with what i considered to be quality parts and its never returned to haunt me.
    currently the only gibson in my stable is an MIII, its a great player, sounds awesome its very versatile and most people have never seen one.
    that being said it required a lot of work and considerable expense to get it where it is now.
    i sincerly hope gison address's these issue's soon, because in today's financial climate and with their pricing and distribution policy they are gonna loose out big time.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!