Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OLP's

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

OLP's

I have a chance to pick up an OLP for $100 (no floyd)
    It's in good shape... I don't need another guitar, but I'm intrigued @ the thought of having a guitar (for cheap) to mess around with.
    I haven't picked an OLP up before to play, so any feedback would be cool.
    Is the neck the same as the EBMM (dimensions)? thanks CV

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've got an olp - great little guitar, means I don't have to leave my original EBMM lying around the house with 2 kids running around. It feels pretty much the same as the original Ernie Ball, I don't know the exact neck dimensions, but it feels close enough to the original. Mine came with an original floyd and Rockfield pickups, plus a red maple top - it was a run of about 50 made by a store in the US - must have been clearing some of the last of them out...

http://www.funkymunkymusic.com/store...&productId=804

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BUY IT!

I got an OLP MM1 (no Floyd) with a nice fake curly maple amber top on it. It is amazing for the price -- it's no Wolfgang or EBMM EVH, but wow is it a very solid guitar. I added a Floyd to mine and the thing is great. The perfect backup guitar for someone with EVH type playing needs. Heck, I could use the thing as a main guitar if I worked on the action a little more.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd buy it for $100.
    The ones with the vintage trem are the best IMO because you can mod them up with a top mounted floyd.

I have to say though ... the guitar will feel somewhat "toyish" right out of the box.
    The Floyd mod really is a must for this guitar IMO.
    That and a good setup will make all the difference in the world.

Unfortunately, the neck is different from the EBMM EVH.
    If it were the same, I would buy a truckload of them.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 06.26.08 at 12:00 AM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Once again, I gotta agree with Dino here:

I don't have any kind of exact specs, but the neck on the OLP is just a little chunkier, and seems a little "slower" to play, the the EBMM.

Also of note is that the pickups are A LOT muddier and just not as ballsy as the EBMM's.

However, for a c-note, buy it. As Dino mentioned, mod it with ANY upper-scale floyd, AND be sure to add a Tone Zone/Air Norton pickup combo, and for all of around $350 total, it'll make for one HELL of a guitar.

Now, if you wanna find the PERFECT EBMM copy, try to hunt down an old KIMBERLEY clone. They're unbelievably hard to find (I've only seen THREE in the last FIVE years...all on ebay), BUT, the p/u switch is in the same spot, the neck is DEAD-ON, and the pickups, while a smidge treblely, are just as hot.

I was fortunate enough to get one from Rols (yeah, THAT Rols) way back in '98, and it actually became my daily player.

And for my money, if the Kimberley's were any less scarce, I'd take a truckload of them...
    Last edited by hubs; 06.26.08 at 02:14 AM. Reason: had to add my own "truckload"

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Default olp feedback

Thanks for all the feedback! CV

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I'd buy it for $100.
    The ones with the vintage trem are the best IMO because you can mod them up with a top mounted floyd.

I have to say though ... the guitar will feel somewhat "toyish" right out of the box.
    The Floyd mod really is a must for this guitar IMO.
    That and a good setup will make all the difference in the world.

Unfortunately, the neck is different from the EBMM EVH.
    If it were the same, I would buy a truckload of them.
    I agree with this post.
    Im just wonderin if its possible to modify the neck to give it the EBMM profile.
    You can mod the piss outta em too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Im just wonderin if its possible to modify the neck to give it the EBMM profile.
    If it were just a matter of profile, I'd imagine you could reshape it to try to match the EBMM, but to me it feels wider too.
    I'm not sure there's much you can do about that.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Default Got the OLP!

I picked up the OLP this morning. Ended up paying $90 for it and it came with an SBK hard case. No floyd, but that's ok as my Wolf & Frankenstrat have Floyds. The OLP is pretty cool. It must have been set up as it stays in tune really well and the action is great. It's obviously not made from the greatest materials, but I really don't mind. It's a blast to play. The neck is super straight and I didn't have to pay 2 Grand to enjoy one.
    You may want to try one out... you may be pleasantly surprised.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    I picked up the OLP this morning. Ended up paying $90 for it and it came with an SBK hard case. No floyd, but that's ok as my Wolf & Frankenstrat have Floyds. The OLP is pretty cool. It must have been set up as it stays in tune really well and the action is great. It's obviously not made from the greatest materials, but I really don't mind. It's a blast to play. The neck is super straight and I didn't have to pay 2 Grand to enjoy one.
    You may want to try one out... you may be pleasantly surprised.
    I had a terrible experience with the one I bought three years ago. Most guys here have shredded me for offering such low reviews on the OLPs, but the one I got had all kinds of neck twisting and fret popping-out issues, and I couldn't leave it in my teaching studio even overnight without it changing intonation and pitch. Add to that the not-so-great pickups, and I was all too happy to unload the thing.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I had a terrible experience with the one I bought three years ago. Most guys here have shredded me for offering such low reviews on the OLPs, but the one I got had all kinds of neck twisting and fret popping-out issues, and I couldn't leave it in my teaching studio even overnight without it changing intonation and pitch. Add to that the not-so-great pickups, and I was all too happy to unload the thing.
    Mine's had similar issues, I think the neck may be a little twisted or the frets may not be perfectly level. But I knew that going in because I bought it at a scratch & dent Musicians Friend and it was a complete mess. The strings were pressed against the neck. I straightened it out pretty good and put a Floyd on it along with a Franken-Ball paint job. But the neck is pretty sensitive. Since I put my dehumidifier in my basement its been pretty consistant though. It really is fun to play and it sounds pretty damn good.
    With anything in this price range you'll probably find more than a few duds, but the good ones are a steal for the dough.
    Last edited by bjk; 06.28.08 at 11:07 PM.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post

AT - I can appreciate your experience, as that has happened to me as well with other guitars. It's hard to deal with a guitar that has a "mind" of it's own in all the wrong places. I'm hoping this OLP is the exception to the rule. So far so good. The pickups are certainly not "quiet", but for $90 clams I can't lose. The fact that it came with a hard case is a nice bonus.
    NOW, if someone can give me advise on HOW TO STOP BUYING MORE GUITARS!!!! I look around my house & ask," why so many"?? I hooked.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

The SKB case (if in decent shape) is worth at least $60. All in all, sounds like a hell of a deal, as well as the perfect candidate for a new "project".

As far as the "no more guitars" problem, I certainly don't have any answers for you. I just picked up a four-month-old PRS CE24 last month for HALF PRICE - a guitar I've always wanted but could never justify paying $2k for.

This only a month after digging up an old 80's Kramer Baretta (with an original Floyd Rose) in a local mom-and-pop pawn shop, throwing in a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, repainting and relic'ing it.

And now I'm seriously considering inquiring about Sucka's black Wolfie he's had on ebay for the last week or so.

...some Jones' just have no cure, son...BUT, admitting you have a problem IS the important first step...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    The SKB case (if in decent shape) is worth at least $60. All in all, sounds like a hell of a deal, as well as the perfect candidate for a new "project".

As far as the "no more guitars" problem, I certainly don't have any answers for you. I just picked up a four-month-old PRS CE24 last month for HALF PRICE - a guitar I've always wanted but could never justify paying $2k for.

This only a month after digging up an old 80's Kramer Baretta (with an original Floyd Rose) in a local mom-and-pop pawn shop, throwing in a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, repainting and relic'ing it.

And now I'm seriously considering inquiring about Sucka's black Wolfie he's had on ebay for the last week or so.

...some Jones' just have no cure, son...BUT, admitting you have a problem IS the important first step...
    great choice of pup in the kramer dude, i've had a peraly gates in my old 84/85 baretta for a couple of years now and couldnt be happier with the tone.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Seymour Duncan Phat Cat

I'm thinking about throwing a Phat Cat in the bridge position...
    I find the p/u in the OLP to be "thin" sounding.
    Other than that, I can't get over how well this thing plays & stays in tune.
    It must have been set up by someone who really knew what they were doing...