Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default My Wolfgang Saga Continues ...

Some of you may have followed a thread awhile back concerning a Wolfgang that I purchased on eBay.
    Long story short ... the guitar arrived damaged, a claim was filed, and I sent the guitar out for repair to help avoid any accusations of a "conflict of interest" by doing the repairs myself.

I sent the guitar to a VERY reputable luthier who came highly recommended for these types of repairs by the PRS community.

The repairman never gave me an estimate as I requested numerous times, but I didn't push the issue because this was going to be covered by the insurance claim so it really didn't matter to me.

I waited over three months but I didn't pester the repair shop, as I didn't want them to do a rushed job. When I finally did get the call to say the guitar was ready, again I ask "how much?". He says "let's wait until you recieve the guitar and I know you're happy with it."
    THAT should have been a red flag.

So I receive the guitar today ...
    One of the repairs didn't look too too bad if you didn't know it was there.
    But still ... I know how these repairs are done and I would never guess this is the work of a professional luthier authorized by PRS to do thier repairwork.

This so called "repair" looks worse than it did when I sent it to him ...
    Looks like it was done with automotive touchup paint you buy at AutoZone.
    Note the sandpaper scratches all over the finish.

While the guitar was there, I explained that the trem was all jacked when I received it and that I made adjustments but didn't spend a whole lot of time with it because I was just so disgusted with the damage that I didn't even want to look at it. I told him that the action was "okay" but I know it could be better and to go ahead and do the setup.

When I received the guitar back, the action was even higher!
    (sorry, no pics for that)

Finally, I told him that I noticed the high E string was too close to the edge of the fretboard and the neck was out of alignment.
    He agreed and said he had noticed that too.

This is just a matter of loosening the neck screws and shifting the neck back into alignment folks .. we're not talking rocket science.

When I received the guitar back, this is what I found ...

I'm going to email this guy with my pictures and ask him what he suggests I pay for this kind of work and see what he says.

In the meantime, the guitar will sit in it's case until I am calm enough to do the repairs properly myself.
    That could be awhile.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfuckingbeliveable.
    Ya wonder how some of these guys stay in buisness.
    Alls I know is, the shittier there job is, the more buisness we will do.
    This is why I push quality and customer service so much.
    Seems like people in buisness now a days just dont give a shit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Ridiculous.

I hope, at some point when it looks and plays the way it is supposed to, you can enjoy the guitar. So far it's got an awful lot of negativity surrounding it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So sorry to hear about all the grief youv'e been going through Dino. It may bo of no consolation but I know how you feel. It takes something that should be a rewarding experience and leaves a bitter feeling all around. Mine was about a Les Paul I bought on an installment plan (hey Gibsons are expensive and I was a working musician!) and the company I bought it from had a terrible accounting department. I'd make above the full payment before the due date, and a few days later I'd get a pre-recorded call demanding I "surrender my equipment immediately or it will be removed by a sherriff" or something like that. Well the first time was "a misunderstanding" The second was "our appolagies" The tenth or eleventh time was me tell'in them to Get the fuck out of my life or I'm pressing fucking charges for undue harrasment!" It got alot better after that, but it still left a terrible reminder of the experience every time i picked it up. It just never felt like mine. It felt borrowed somehow. I dunno. It's weird but I hope you can get past all that bad association. You do great work Dino. I think if you spend some time with it and do it the way you want, it'll be healing in a way.
    Good luck and take care!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

Hey Dino,

I remember the previous saga and commiserate with you on the messed-up repairs...I thought a guitar that was professionally (?) fixed would look better than when it was brought in...as Andrew said, I hope you can get your Wolfgang repaired correctly so you can begin to enjoy it instead of sweating all your hassles...good luck..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all your understanding and for allowing me to vent.
    The finish damage can be repaired pretty easy and the neck alignment and setup shouldn't take long to do ... it's just the principal of it all.

I purchased a guitar in "mint condition" back in February.
    I hassled with the seller, and numerous FedEx employees and finally sent the guitar out for repair thinking that would be the honest thing to do.
    Here we are, almost July, and I still have a f'd up guitar that I don't even want to look at.

It would have been nice to have someone take the load off and do a good job, but ... oh well.
    It is what it is.

I promise the next time you see pictures of this guitar, it will be smoking!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I take my guitars to a guy that is pretty damn good. But he WILL NOT DO WARRANTY REAPIR WORK FOR ANYONE BECAUSE HE SAYS THEY DONT PAY WHAT HE IS WORTH. In other words he says he can make more money just doing non warranty work . He does electronics and everything. Maybe these warranty reapir guys arent that good but are taking the work because thats all they can get. Ive seen other warranty repair work from a local guy and let me tell you it sucked. It looked like spray paint on a Blues Sareceno TV guitar, Creamsicle .

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats up there with my Nashville guitars incident.
    I found a guy who had a company called Nashville guitars and did repaints. I sent him out a Wolfgang body I had tried to repaint, have it for like 3 MONTHS, then send it to me, telling me that he repainted it, when all he had done was go OVER the red paint I had put on it...talk about being taken. I unloaded the Wolfie on Ebay. Hopefully the guy who got it repainted it and fixed her up. I HATE IT when someone does shoddy work, and tries to pass if off as GREAT work! Man, that PISSES ME OFF! -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, what a rip off. This kind of thing scares me, especially when people try to tell me, "Oh, you can't do that work, just take it to the shop," about my guitars. Makes me always just want to do everything myself to avoid this garbage... I'd offer the guy $10 bucks for the work and see what he says.

If you're still mad at the guitar, I'll take it

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    If you're still mad at the guitar, I'll take it
    Make me an offer.

Last Online

07.25.08 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    This kind of thing scares me, especially when people try to tell me, "Oh, you can't do that work, just take it to the shop," about my guitars.
    Repairwork is beyond my ability, I'd probably call someone like Dino. I just can't imagine allowing anyone else to setup my guitar for me. Even someone I trust. Its too personal.

On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dino, I still wish I would've looked at those pics in my email before you bought the guitar!!!
    It all my fault ......! (hanging my head low)

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post

Dino, I still wish I would've looked at those pics in my email before you bought the guitar!!!
    It all my fault ......! (hanging my head low)
    It's not your fault Rat ...
    I saw the same pictures and the seller made a conscience effort to hide all the damages in those pics.

The thing that really bothers me more than anything is that this is the first Wolfgang guitar I've owned and it's caused me to have a very biased opinion on the entire product line. I know that's not a fair assessment, but I can't help but be bitter. Come to find out, the route on the neck pocket that was done by Peavey's CNC machine was off. That's why the guitar tech couldn't properly align the neck. Maybe this is just a fluke thing, but how this guitar made it past "Quality Control" is beyond me.

Unfortunately, this is the first, and LAST Peavey Wolfgang I will ever own and should anyone ever ask my opinions of them? ... It won't be favorable.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I saw the same pictures and the seller made a conscience effort to hide all the damages in those pics.

The thing that really bothers me more than anything is that this is the first Wolfgang guitar I've owned and it's caused me to have a very biased opinion on the entire product line. I know that's not a fair assessment, but I can't help but be bitter. Come to find out, the route on the neck pocket that was done by Peavey's CNC machine was off. That's why the guitar tech couldn't properly align the neck. Maybe this is just a fluke thing, but how this guitar made it past "Quality Control" is beyond me.

Unfortunately, this is the first, and LAST Peavey Wolfgang I will ever own and should anyone ever ask my opinions of them? ... It won't be favorable.
    Dino:

Perhaps you can send the guitar to Peavey for the neck alignment (?). If you call them and talk to tech Steve Smith, he might be able to give you an idea on what it may (or may not) cost to have them work on it.

I have never seen a Wolfgang with the neck alignment off that much. I have a couple that are visibly shifted ever so slightly to one side, but nothing even close to your photos. I agree that kind of thing should have never been sent out.

On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes. he really did try to hide the battle scars...didnt he!

Have you ever checked the serial numbers to see if it is in fact the real deal? I have never saw a neck look so bad. Dunno, but it looks pretty jacked to me...!?! You should have traded me that 5150 for the 1st Purple $$$$$!! Wolf when you had the chance... Maybe I could send you one out for a set up when I get back in town. You will at least get the chance to check one out.. !

X2 What Andrew said!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post