Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Default RIP George Carlin

Local FOX affiliate reporting his death tonight.

One of the best.

EDIT:
    MSNBC reports:
    LOS ANGELES - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital Sunday, a spokesman said. He was was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PT after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine about seven dirty words you could not say on television. A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of his "Filthy Words" routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.
    Last edited by LLFHS; 06.22.08 at 10:09 PM.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

That really sucks.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    "who's the cunt?" I love that bit. Rip George.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

FUCK!!!!!!! He was one of my all time favorites! RIP George, I salute you!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Wow, that is really too bad. He was slated to receive The Mark Twain Humor Award at The Kennedy Center this November.

RIP George.

Bleep! Bleep! George Carlin To Receive Mark Twain Humor Prize
    By Jacqueline Trescott
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008; C01

A comic quiz:

Who was the first host ever of "Saturday Night Live"?

Who appeared with Doris Day in "With Six You Get Eggroll"?

And who has appeared on "The Tonight Show" more than 130 times?

If you answered George Carlin, you perhaps have spent too much time listening to his 22 albums or watching his 14 specials on HBO, or are a true, true fan.

In the comic spotlight for more than 50 years, Carlin was tapped yesterday by the Kennedy Center to receive this year's Mark Twain Prize, a lifetime achievement award presented to an outstanding comedian.

Carlin, 71, reinvented social commentary, discussing everything from religion and politics to airport security. He excelled at stand-up, whether at the Roostertail in Detroit, the old Cellar Door in Washington or Carnegie Hall. His three books have been bestsellers. He has won four Grammy Awards, spanning 1973 to 2002. His TV shows have been nominated for five Emmys.

The Kennedy Center said his material and style made him a perfect Twain recipient.

"In his lengthy career as a comedian, writer and actor, George Carlin has not only made us laugh, but he makes us think. His influence on the next generation of comics has been far-reaching," said Stephen A. Schwarzman, the center's chairman.

Carlin issued a statement saying, "Thank you Mr. Twain. Have your people call my people."

He once summed up his approach: "I think it is the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

One milestone in his career was the "Seven Dirty Words" controversy that became part of a U.S. Supreme Court case in 1978. Carlin listed seven words that couldn't be used on television in a 1972 album called "Class Clown" and he was arrested for obscenity when he performed the routine in Wisconsin. Then Carlin resurrected the list on his next album, which was played on radio station WBAI in New York. A listener complained to the Federal Communications Commission and eventually the Supreme Court said the routine was indecent but not obscene and the words could be banned from radio and television broadcasts when children are most likely to be in the audience. Thus, the 6 a.m.-10 p.m. rule against airing indecent material.

"It was a very big event in his life and his career," said Bob Kaminsky, an executive producer of the Twain evening. "It is a long way from the stage at the Cafe Au Go Go on Bleecker Street to the chambers of the Supreme Court."

Carlin, a native of New York City, started his career in 1956 at a radio station in Shreveport, La., when he was in the Air Force. In the early '60s, he began his solo act and his performances and albums were instant hits.

He struggled with personal issues. In the 1970s he developed a cocaine habit and heart problems, according to his Web site.

With the advent of cable television, his audience expanded and he did a series of specials for HBO. But his fans grew younger when he did the voice for the American version of "Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends" as well as appearances as Mr. Conductor on "Shining Time Station."

Carlin has been embraced by the Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor generation, as well as the followers of Chris Rock and Stephen Colbert.

"He is observational. He observes human nature and that is part of the parallel between him and Twain. They both love language, and George would say a lot of his humor comes from language," Kaminsky said.

Cited in Carlin's case are his questioning of unnecessary words, such as seating area, free-of-charge and emergency situations.

In 2004, he was voted No. 2 on Comedy Central's 100 greatest stand-ups, trailing only Pryor.

The tribute will be held Nov. 10 at the Kennedy Center, taped by WETA-Channel 26 and broadcast in February by PBS stations. Tickets go on sale Aug. 11.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Wow... Unfuckin' believable...

RIP, George...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    FUCK!!!!!!!
    Dude, that is exactly what I shouted out when I heard the newscaster announce it about 20 min ago. There arent a whole lot of celebrity deaths that get that kind of a reaction from me. I think maybe Carson was the last one.

Truly a real talent in a sea of mediocrity.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Damn..

"Meatcake...."

'nuff said

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've got a copy of a long-form interview he did with Art Bell a few years ago. Just a funny, funny guy--even when he's not "on".

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by HippieLettuce View Post
    Damn..

"Meatcake...."

'nuff said
    "Could be meat...could be cake. Usually at a time like that, I'll bluff".
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Wow, that is really too bad. He was slated to receive The Mark Twain Humor Award at The Kennedy Center this November.

RIP George.

Bleep! Bleep! George Carlin To Receive Mark Twain Humor Prize
    By Jacqueline Trescott
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008; C01

A comic quiz:

Who was the first host ever of "Saturday Night Live"?

Who appeared with Doris Day in "With Six You Get Eggroll"?

And who has appeared on "The Tonight Show" more than 130 times?

If you answered George Carlin, you perhaps have spent too much time listening to his 22 albums or watching his 14 specials on HBO, or are a true, true fan.

In the comic spotlight for more than 50 years, Carlin was tapped yesterday by the Kennedy Center to receive this year's Mark Twain Prize, a lifetime achievement award presented to an outstanding comedian.

Carlin, 71, reinvented social commentary, discussing everything from religion and politics to airport security. He excelled at stand-up, whether at the Roostertail in Detroit, the old Cellar Door in Washington or Carnegie Hall. His three books have been bestsellers. He has won four Grammy Awards, spanning 1973 to 2002. His TV shows have been nominated for five Emmys.

The Kennedy Center said his material and style made him a perfect Twain recipient.

"In his lengthy career as a comedian, writer and actor, George Carlin has not only made us laugh, but he makes us think. His influence on the next generation of comics has been far-reaching," said Stephen A. Schwarzman, the center's chairman.

Carlin issued a statement saying, "Thank you Mr. Twain. Have your people call my people."

He once summed up his approach: "I think it is the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

One milestone in his career was the "Seven Dirty Words" controversy that became part of a U.S. Supreme Court case in 1978. Carlin listed seven words that couldn't be used on television in a 1972 album called "Class Clown" and he was arrested for obscenity when he performed the routine in Wisconsin. Then Carlin resurrected the list on his next album, which was played on radio station WBAI in New York. A listener complained to the Federal Communications Commission and eventually the Supreme Court said the routine was indecent but not obscene and the words could be banned from radio and television broadcasts when children are most likely to be in the audience. Thus, the 6 a.m.-10 p.m. rule against airing indecent material.

"It was a very big event in his life and his career," said Bob Kaminsky, an executive producer of the Twain evening. "It is a long way from the stage at the Cafe Au Go Go on Bleecker Street to the chambers of the Supreme Court."

Carlin, a native of New York City, started his career in 1956 at a radio station in Shreveport, La., when he was in the Air Force. In the early '60s, he began his solo act and his performances and albums were instant hits.

He struggled with personal issues. In the 1970s he developed a cocaine habit and heart problems, according to his Web site.

With the advent of cable television, his audience expanded and he did a series of specials for HBO. But his fans grew younger when he did the voice for the American version of "Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends" as well as appearances as Mr. Conductor on "Shining Time Station."

Carlin has been embraced by the Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor generation, as well as the followers of Chris Rock and Stephen Colbert.

"He is observational. He observes human nature and that is part of the parallel between him and Twain. They both love language, and George would say a lot of his humor comes from language," Kaminsky said.

Cited in Carlin's case are his questioning of unnecessary words, such as seating area, free-of-charge and emergency situations.

In 2004, he was voted No. 2 on Comedy Central's 100 greatest stand-ups, trailing only Pryor.

The tribute will be held Nov. 10 at the Kennedy Center, taped by WETA-Channel 26 and broadcast in February by PBS stations. Tickets go on sale Aug. 11.
    This is exactly why I loved George Carlin so much. He knew how to take what he saw, what he read, what he experienced and point out the ironies, the absurdites, the truth. He loved the English language and hated when it became bastardized. He was a thinking man's comic, smarter than the rest. Oh how I will miss him!
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

That's cause I'm on the same page as you LL when it comes to "celebrity" deaths. Most of the time when I see a thread started about some well known persons death I'm like because I don't know who they are, but Carlin has always been near and dear to my heart. Reading that he died really struck me a blow for a moment. Hell, my 18 y/o kid even loves Carlin. We've spent many a night watching his HBO stand-ups and laughed our asses off!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RIP George, you'll be missed.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Still a classic.