Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Default Court overturns child's grounding

WTF??

OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

The father's lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl's "own protection" and is appealing the ruling.

"She's a child," Beaudoin told AFP. "At her age, children test their limits and it's up to their parents to set boundaries."

"I started an appeal of the decision today to reestablish parental authority, and to ensure that this case doesn't set a precedent," she said. Otherwise, said Beaudoin, "parents are going to be walking on egg shells from now on."

"I think most children respect their parents and would never go so far as to take them to court, but it's clear that some would and we have to ask ourselves how far this will go."

According to court documents, the girl's Internet transgression was just the latest in a string of broken house rules. Even so, Justice Suzanne Tessier found her punishment too severe.

Beaudoin noted the girl used a court-appointed lawyer in her parents' 10-year custody dispute to launch her landmark case against dear old dad.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080618...t_080618180800

Courts overturning grounding? Anybody care to try and explain this one?

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

How could a kid start her own case?? I don't get it. She's just a kid.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Default More on the story...

Sounds like the girl pitted one parent against the other:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=597169

Quebec girl wins court case over field trip

Father had denied her right to go on class trip

Jenny Wagler, National Post
    Published: Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A 12-year-old Quebec girl who felt so strongly about her end-of-year school trip that she took her father to court after he forbade her from going is at the centre of a case that challenges the authority of parental discipline.

The extreme measure of taking the case to court, which the girl's lawyer defended as a necessary move to ensure the child was not denied a significant rite of passage, was upheld by the judge in a surprise ruling last week.

"This was something that would never happen again in the child's life," said Lucie Fortin, the lawyer for the girl, who cannot be named.

"And for me that was really important, because it was the end of elementary school, it was the end of a stage in her life."

Ms. Fortin insists that while court was a last resort, the situation called for it: "This was not a question of going to the movies or not, or going online or not -- because obviously, I wouldn't have intervened in that," she said.

Critics of the decision last week by a Quebec Superior Court which ruled in favour of Ms. Fortin's young client suggest that such a ruling opens the way for equally implausible scenarios such as children taking their parents to court for such things as being denied access to television or using the Internet -- and winning.

"As a lawyer and as a parent, I hink it's state interference where the court shouldn't be interfering," said Ottawa lawyer Fred Cogan. "I've got six kids. I certainly wouldn't want a judge watching over everything that I do, and I wouldn't want my kids being able to run to the judge."

The lawyer acting for the father in this case, who also cannot be named, said she is going to appeal the decision.

"The judge said that this was an exception, but the exception was to go on a field trip!" said lawyer Kim Beaudoin.

"What will be too much punishment? Not going to a dance? I want my boyfriend to sleep at my house and my parents aren't letting me? I want to use Internet and my parents aren't letting me? Where will it stop?"

The ruling to allow the field trip went against the wishes of her father who has legal custody of her but was in keeping with her mother's wishes.

And while the case is raising some eyebrows, a tangled behind-the-scenes custody battle must be taken into account, said Montreal family law lawyer, Miriam Grassby.

"It's a very different situation than a child who might appear to not be be happy with the parent's decision and simply saying I'm going to go court and I'm going to get what I want," she said. "And if in fact it's been portrayed that way, it's not putting in its complex context.

While the girl's father has full legal custody, pending a further court decision, the girl has been living with her mother, Ms. Fortin said. But while Ms. Beaudoin says the girl went to live with her mother when her father forbade her from going on the trip, Ms. Fortin contends that she was "kicked out" of her father's house over family tensions.

"In a situation like this where you're in contested custody proceedings, there's often a high level of conflict," said Ms. Grassby. "And one of the reasons that in Quebec that children have lawyers named for them is because the parents and the court recognizes that in high conflict situations it gives the child a safe place to first give their opinion, and get advice."

Others say there are few signs Canadian courts are likely to follow the Quebec court judge's lead.

"Family court judges are sort of loathe and reluctant to enter into the sphere of parental discipline," said Peter Dunning, executive director of the Child Welfare League of Canada.

Cheryl Milne, a lawyer at the Canadian Foundation for Children, Youth and the Law, said the scenario in the Gatineau case may be unique to Quebec because of its civil code. "I can't imagine a similar case being brought in Ontario."

Even in Quebec, the decision is virtually without precedent.

The dispute between father and daughter began when he cut off her Internet access over her misuse. When she continued to find a way to use the Internet, he told his daughter she couldn't go on the three-day school trip.

The girl's mother allowed her to go on the trip, but because the school wouldn't allow the girl to go unless both parents consented, the girl, with the mother's support took legal action against her father.

According to Ms. Beaudoin, the judge ruled that denying the trip was unduly severe punishment.

The father, who is appealing the decision, was "devastated" by the ruling, and is refusing to take his daughter back "because he has no authority over her."

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Where do you find these stories??? I could see if she was a senior in high school, being denied an end of the year trip but 12 years old? That's too much.

Kids.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Well, that sheds a little more light on it, but that judge still has no business deciding whether missing a trip is too much punishment.

BTW, did that lawyer really say with a straight face, that finishing elementary school was a "end of a stage of her life"?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    Well, that sheds a little more light on it, but that judge still has no business deciding whether missing a trip is too much punishment.

BTW, did that lawyer really say with a straight face, that finishing elementary school was a "end of a stage of her life"?
    Fucked if I even remember the end of elementary school, nor did I really care at the time. Hell, I still don't now!

Sure, I've gotten in trouble at that age. Never thought of hiring a lawyer to get over it. You make mistakes, you take the consequences and learn from them. And if a judge is stupid enough to overrule punishment as stupid as the ones above, then there's something seriously wrong with both our court system and society

You gotta feel for the parents. They're just trying to raise their children and if their disobedient, you have to treat them as such and show them who's boss. If the court system is willing to go to this extreme against parents, kinda makes you wonder what kids will be doing and trying to get out of years from now.

It's pretty sad.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

the court system didn't go against the parents, the parents went after each other. Both of them should have been fined for wasting the court's time. What an embarssment these two are.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

You wacky Canadians and yer Beatles.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are in trouble with the way kids are these days. We are rasing a bunch of very lazy over weight can't learn to lose spoiled brats.
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

www.myspace.com/patvh5150

http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

9 more years. 9 more years...

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is beyond my comprehension as a parent. She was misusing the internet and posting inappropriate pics so her dad is acting responsible and taking away a privilege. A field trip is a privilege, not a necessity. Dear ol' mom seems to feel it's just fine and dandy. I can't wait till this girl meets a predator over the internet and what "mom" will say then. I'm sure she will feel that her daughter still isn't at fault and wonder how it could have happened. At least the dad is divorced from the dumb broad.

And how stupid can the judge be to not realize that kids, especially at that age, will pit one parent against the other. The "mom" and her lawyer should have been fined for a frivolous lawsuit and publicly embarrassed by the judge and yet she found in their favor. Maybe the judge should start paying the "mom" child support since she has taken over the dad's parental duties.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is why kids from divorced parents are so screwed up.

That little girl is also headed for trouble too.

I hope everyone who received an unfavorable ruling from this judge files a protest because his judgements were too harsh.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I wonder what the statute of limitations is on stuff like this.

I'm thinking about all the shit I could sue my parents for, if this is the standard for taking legal action. I know the kid didn't ask for money, but isn't that the logical next step?

Hmmm the "lite brite" that I DIDN'T get for Christmas in 1970....no explanation...just no "lite brite"! That left a psychic scar. The jingle still taunts me.... "Lite Brite makin' things with light...Outta sight makin' things with Lite Brite!"

The sleepover birthday party that I didn't get to go to because I was in the hospital....they should have recreated the whole thing for me (down to the smallest detail) at a later date so that I did not have to miss out on that major life milestone

They made me quit clarinet....sure I was awful, yes I hated it and we fought about it constantly, but if they had made me CONTINUE instead of making me quit, perhaps I would have had a breakthrough and had been the first rock and roll clarinetist instead of a lowly bass drum player.

Oh, and speaking of... the time my Mom made me show up at the summer band concert wearing the summer band uniform...WHICH EVERYONE KNOWS THE DRUM LINE DOES NOT WEAR TO THE SUMMER CONCERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks MOM That alone should be worth a couple of bucks if I can get a compassionate judge.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

Hmmm the "lite brite" that I DIDN'T get for Christmas in 1970....no explanation...just no "lite brite"! That left a psychic scar. The jingle still taunts me.... "Lite Brite makin' things with light...Outta sight makin' things with Lite Brite!"
    You didn't get a Lite Brite????? LOSER!!! LOL!!! We made fun of kids like you.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.