Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default McCain calls for building 45 new nuclear reactors

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Sen. John McCain called Wednesday for the construction of 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030 and pledged $2 billion a year in federal funds "to make clean coal a reality," measures designed to reduce dependence on foreign oil.

In a third straight day of campaigning devoted to the energy issue, the Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting also said the only time Democratic rival Barack Obama voted for a tax cut was for a "break for the oil companies."

McCain said the 104 nuclear reactors currently operating around the country produce about 20 percent of the nation's annual electricity needs.

"Every year, these reactors alone spare the atmosphere from the equivalent of nearly all auto emissions in America. Yet for all these benefits, we have not broken ground on a single nuclear plant in over thirty years," he said. "And our manufacturing base to even construct these plants is almost gone."

Even so, he said he would set the country on a course to build 45 new ones by 2030, with a longer-term goal of adding another 55 in the future.

"We will need to recover all the knowledge and skills that have been lost over three stagnant decades in a highly technical field," he conceded.

Later, at a news conference, McCain said he favors steps to reduce the time plant owners need to obtain the necessary permits. He suggested U.S. companies use common technology to shave the time in takes to bring a new nuclear facility on line. He also said a decision by President Carter three decades ago not to pursue fuel reprocessing technology should be reversed.

In an appearance before an audience at Missouri State University, McCain also said, "We will need to solve complex problems of moving and storing materials that will always need safeguarding."

Shortly after he spoke, a participant in a campaign-organized round-table discussion of energy, retired Marine Corps Gen. James Jones, said obtaining the necessary construction permits can take five years. "We should be able to cut that in half," added Jones, a former NATO commander who is now chief executive officer of the U.S. Chamber Institute for 21st Century Energy. He also is on the board of Chevron.

Jones flew to Missouri aboard the campaign's chartered jet although, ironically, Democrats recently disclosed that his name has figured in Obama campaign discussions of potential Democratic vice presidential running mates.

McCain's motorcade drove by a few dozen sign-carrying demonstrators protesting the Iraq War. One audience member interrupted his remarks by standing and shouting that the Arizona senator had taken millions from the oil industry.

A dramatic spike in worldwide oil prices has pushed the cost of gasoline to $4 a gallon and more, and made energy a domestic political issue in a way it has not been since the days of the Arab oil embargo of the 1970s.

On Tuesday, McCain delivered a speech in Texas in which he made the case for a nationwide effort to reduce dependence on foreign oil, including additional drilling in U.S. coastal waters, and said he would begin laying out specific proposals in the coming days.

With his appearance in Missouri, he began making good on that promise.

The Republican presidential contender said Missouri gets about 85 percent of its electricity from coal, an abundant natural resource in the U.S.

"Perhaps no advancement in energy technology could mean more to America than the clean burning of coal and the capture and storage of carbon emissions," he said.

With the $2 billion in federal funds, he said, "We will build the demonstration plants, refine the techniques and equipment, and make clean coal a reality. This single achievement will open vast amounts of our oldest and most abundant resource. And it will deliver not only electricity but jobs to some of the areas hardest hit by our economic troubles."

It was the second straight day McCain has criticized Obama, the Illinois senator who will collect the Democratic presidential nomination this summer, a few days before McCain lays claim to the GOP nomination.

Obama has said McCain's support for additional offshore oil drilling is evidence that he would effectively give the country another term of the Bush presidency.

"I guess the senator has changed his position since voting for the 2005 Bush energy bill a grab-bag of corporate handouts that I opposed," McCain said. "Come to think of it, that energy bill was the only time we've ever seen Senator Obama vote in favor of any tax break and it was a tax break for the oil companies."

McCain opposed the 2005 measure and said at the time it was larded with billions in unnecessary tax breaks for the oil industry.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Moron.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i found jesus, he was in my trunk when i got back from tijuana
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

I guess he lost the election right there. Who wants a nuclear plant in their backyard?
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Me. I think 45 is too small of a number. Want to see America avoid things such as Iraq in the future? Want to see the American economy defined by the value of the goods and services we work hard to create and consumer, rather than by external geopolitical factors? Want to see your kids grow up with better air quality? Want to avoid sending a huge percentage of your federal income tax to foreign governments?

If you want those things, you have to support nuclear power. It really is that simple.

Jan is right when he says moron. Anyone opposed to this has self-selected themselves as being one.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

Amazing...just the other day I was thinking...you know, we really don't have enough terrorist targets here in the US. I think I'll write my congressman and tell him so. Thanks, John McCain, you saved me a stamp!

I work where I can see a nuclear power plant from my window. Twice, this plant has come frightenly close to being another Three Mile Island, or worse.

This plant took a direct hit from an F-2 tornado, causing serious damage, and worse yet took a direct hit from First Energy's safety skirting, cost cutting management style when the REACTOR HEAD came within less than a 1/4 of an inch of perforating due to a known boric acid leak that the plant management worked to conceal from government inspectors. "Good" news is, nobody got any jail time for it.

Google this kids "Davis Bessee Nuclear Power Plant".....scary (I recommend the New York Times article)

In a day and age where there are safer energy alternatives, we in America have two officials (on the same day no less) promoting nuclear power and off shore oil drilling.....

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Would it be possible to build the nuclear reactors underground, or do they need to be above ground for a particular reason? If they could be underground, I would think that would make them less available as a target, plus I should think it would make them easier to contain in the event of an accident. But seeing as none have been built underground (that I'm aware of) yet, maybe it's not possible.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Sounds like a good idea Billy.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

High energy demand is here right now, it's only going to increase in the future.

For all of those against this, what are your ideas to provide more energy in the future?

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    For all of those against this, what are your ideas to provide more energy in the future?

"Just wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'..."
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    But seeing as none have been built underground (that I'm aware of) yet, maybe it's not possible.
    There were underground nuclear reactors built in Russia since the 60-ies.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

I think (more) Nuclear power is a good idea too, but it'll never happen. The dems are controlling congress.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Be realistic here folks, had it not been for the 3 Mile Island incident, there would likely be dozens more nuclear power plants than there are now. I agree that more plants need to be built, but there also needs to be more research done on clean coal technology. We have a tons of coal in this country, we just need a way to get it to burn more cleanly.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 595 Times in 365 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Me. I think 45 is too small of a number. Want to see America avoid things such as Iraq in the future? Want to see the American economy defined by the value of the goods and services we work hard to create and consumer, rather than by external geopolitical factors? Want to see your kids grow up with better air quality? Want to avoid sending a huge percentage of your federal income tax to foreign governments?

If you want those things, you have to support nuclear power. It really is that simple.

Jan is right when he says moron. Anyone opposed to this has self-selected themselves as being one.
    It's funny. Americans love their BlackBerries, laptops and 50-inch plasma TVs, but are quick to poo-poo the slightest suggestion of how to accommodate for those energy needs.

By and large, Americans have no clue what it takes to power the lifestyles we're become accustomed to. Even light switches are taken for granted. I wonder how many opponents of nuclear plants or the big, bad coal industry would be quick to backpeddle if forced to truly ration their energy use.

Our reality is what it is. Society today includes luxuries that didn't exist 50 years ago, which, oh, by the way, require a lot of energy. You can't have it both ways.