Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default $1.99/gal gas, but only for illegal aliens...

ID card gas-incentive fuels controversy in New Haven

By News Channel 8's Annie Rourke
    Posted June 17, 2008
    5:20 PM

New Haven, CT) Is it discrimination or simply a perk of picking up an ID card? That's the question many are asking following a report only seen on News Channel 8. The Elm City is considering offering gas at a huge discount to ID card holders.

The idea is to offer gas at this Shell Station in New Haven, for just $1.99 a gallon for three hours on a Saturday in July. But this offer is only available if you have an Elm City ID card. When Geoff Jacobs heard about it, he immediately called city hall.

"I just think the city of New Haven is putting a huge emphasis on representing a group other than the taxpaying, law-abiding citizens of the city," Jacobs of New Haven, said.

He's talking about undocumented residents (once known as illegal aliens). The Elm City ID card allows them to establish legal identity in the community though any resident can get one.

"Who lives in New Haven with a driver's license and a New Haven ID?" Jacobs questioned.

But a student says, the gas is a big enough draw she just might do it. "So, that sounds like a good idea then, yeah, why not?" Mary Stahley, of New Haven, said.

The WTNH blog page has been inundated with comments on the controversial gas discount idea. One viewer writes, "To offer a gasoline price drop just for people who have that card is very wrong. Why not make it open to anyone who has a valid Connecticut drivers license?"

City Hall didn't even want News Channel 8 to do this story because the gas give-away is still in the planning stages. But, the mayor's spokesperson insists tax dollars wouldn't go into it. Instead, local merchants would make up for the discount.

"To take advantage of the gas crisis we're in and give them a discount but not taxpaying citizens, that's just not right," Jacobs said.

New Haven (WTNH) _ A big gas give-away is being sponsored by New Haven City Hall. And, to pull it off, they've lined up donations from local merchants -- close to $15,000 to make up the difference in the price of the gas. But these savings are not available to everyone.

The cheapest gas at the Shell Station on Willow Street is $4.39. But, News Channel 8 has learned that for three hours on Saturday, July 26th, gas may be going for just $1.99. It's expected that drivers will be lined up down the street.

"I would definitely see that would be a really smart thing to do considering we're paying $4.30 for gas right now," Brian Kiss, of New Haven, said. "It's kind of excessive and it just seems to keep going up."

But, even if he was first in line, New Haven resident Kiss would not be able to buy it. This promotion is only open to people who have the Elm City ID card.

"You're forcing people to get the ID card to get benefits," Dustin Gold, of the Community Watchdog Project, said.

Gold is with the Community Watchdog Project -- an 800-member grassroots organization opposed to the ID cards because they allow illegal immigrants to obtain a legal form of identification. But, he says trying to capitalize on the gas crisis to promote the controversial cards is crossing a line.

"It's a fine line that the city plays. If a gas station wants to do a promotion, it's different," Gold said. "I think the city getting involved in it, it borderlines discrimination."

The mayor's spokesperson will only tell News Channel 8 that the plans have not been finalized. But, residents dealing with sky-high gas prices -- who also pay taxes here -- say forcing people to buy into the ID program, to buy the gas, doesn't seem right.

"It's super frustrating to be a person who has to rely on their car all the time and not be able to just get an incentive like that," Kiss said.

This is not the first discount offered with the Elm City ID card. Local car dealerships were giving $1,000 off for people with the card. That was changed to allow everyone to have the discount.

The ID card costs $10.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

too contoversial wont work

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

So if I live there and pay $10 for a resident card, I could save over half that for a day? Why wouldn't you want to sign up for that?

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The world will never face a shortage of idiots.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

One viewer writes, "To offer a gasoline price drop just for people who have that card is very wrong. Why not make it open to anyone who has a valid Connecticut drivers license?"

Exactly.

One other point: one can only imagine the size of the line when this "promotion" takes place! Yikes.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 556 Times in 333 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH Wahoo View Post
    One viewer writes, "To offer a gasoline price drop just for people who have that card is very wrong. Why not make it open to anyone who has a valid Connecticut drivers license?"

Exactly.

One other point: one can only imagine the size of the line when this "promotion" takes place! Yikes.
    Um, maybe because they want to promote the fucking city? They are getting merchants IN THE CITY to donate to those who can prove they live IN THE CITY.

Nothing wrong with that. At all.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    The world will never face a shortage of idiots.
    lol u r right.
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

www.myspace.com/patvh5150

http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Um, maybe because they want to promote the fucking city? They are getting merchants IN THE CITY to donate to those who can prove they live IN THE CITY.

Nothing wrong with that. At all.
    Read the article again. This has nothing to do with promoting the city, and everything to do with providing illegal aliens with a legal identity.

If they really wanted to promote the city to those who live in the city, a driver's license should be sufficient proof of residence.

"He's talking about undocumented residents (once known as illegal aliens). The Elm City ID card allows them to establish legal identity in the community though any resident can get one."

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 556 Times in 333 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Um, gee, so sorry. See, when I read that, what I saw was the city council or whoever helping set up a promotional program whereby a gas station gives out cheap gas for 3 hours to anyone with a city ID card. The city ID cards are available to anyone that lives in the city for $10.

Then I read a bunch of hoo-ha about ignorant morons somehow saying that because the ID cards are available to illegal immigrants (thousands among hundred some thousand residents), this MUST be a program that is only aimed at that one small group amongst the many others living in the city eligible to participate. Because, you know, at $10 a pop, getting MORE people to buy them just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If I'm the Mayor, I definitely would rather just have the couple of thousand illegals give me $10, vs. the hundred some thousand legal residents.

My mistake for assuming, you know, that what I read was actually what I read.

Dude, way to get sucked into the idiot hype.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Um, gee, so sorry. See, when I read that, what I saw was the city council or whoever helping set up a promotional program whereby a gas station gives out cheap gas for 3 hours to anyone with a city ID card. The city ID cards are available to anyone that lives in the city for $10.

Then I read a bunch of hoo-ha about ignorant morons somehow saying that because the ID cards are available to illegal immigrants (thousands among hundred some thousand residents), this MUST be a program that is only aimed at that one small group amongst the many others living in the city eligible to participate. Because, you know, at $10 a pop, getting MORE people to buy them just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If I'm the Mayor, I definitely would rather just have the couple of thousand illegals give me $10, vs. the hundred some thousand legal residents.

My mistake for assuming, you know, that what I read was actually what I read.

Dude, way to get sucked into the idiot hype.

Exactly.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

C'mon, guys. It's an obvious ploy. Get the illegals a city ID, and that way the real agenda can be pursued--giving them cheap gas. Maybe a discount at the local Dairy Queen, too.

Because even idiots know that municipal ID cards aren't otherwise useful for immigration or employment purposes. At least I assume the idiots know that. Is that a mistake?

Last Online

Donor

You mean the city id card doesn't make you a US Citizen?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm pretty sure the US flag tattoo that I got in a Crackerjack box made me a citizen.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I'm pretty sure the US flag tattoo that I got in a Crackerjack box made me a citizen.

You got the flag tattoo?! That means you get to run for public office now! Sweet action.