Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Tensions, like flood waters, are rising in Iowa

Law officers stop Cedar Rapids, IA resident from returning home.

The Associated Press

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Police twice caught a man in his flood-damaged home before the property had been cleared by city inspectors. But Rick Blazek vowed to return — even if he had to sneak behind bushes.

“Once I’m in there, I’m not coming out unless they have handcuffs and leg shackles,” he pledged Sunday at a checkpoint where authorities were limiting access.

That’s what happened Monday when officers pulled Blazek out of his pickup after he tried to run a checkpoint. When he allegedly bumped an Iowa state trooper with the truck, police drew their guns, broke a window on his vehicle and wrestled Blazek out. He was charged with assaulting an officer.

Blazek was among thousands of flood victims frustrated by authorities’ decision Monday to cut off access to flood-damaged homes because of safety concerns. About 25,000 people have had to leave their homes since the Cedar River began flooding.

There were no other arrests.

“I hope it’s the only one that we have,” police Sgt. Cristy Hamblin said. “I understand people are very upset and justly so. But most of the citizens have been very patient. I know they are not angry at the police. They’re angry at the situation.”

At a checkpoint on the other side of town, pastor Mike Gray stood ready to counsel anguished homeowners.

“One lady was disappointed she couldn’t spend more time with her home,” said Gray, of the Valley View Baptist Church. “Yesterday, there were people getting angry. You can understand that.”

At the checkpoint Blazek tried to run, Dennis Usher was keeping his misery in check. The 63-year-old retired college athletic director said he had no idea when he would get back into his home just two blocks from the river, but he was resigned to waiting.

And he didn’t blame city officials for their response.

“I don’t think anyone expected this,” he said.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

The picture is just plain hilarious.

"I want to go home"
    "Die motherfucker..."

Wow, whatever happened to people just talking a situation through?

On the flooding, I wonder how much more of this we can expect if the doomsayers are right. There are still houses in the UK that people haven't moved back into from last summer's flooding. I hear New Orleans is still a mess even now.

What with all the cyclones, hurricanes, tornados, torrential monsoons, sea level rises, not to mention, earthquakes, forest fires, Paris Hilton, volcanos, heatwaves, blizzards etc I think the last safe place on earth to live is going to be Luxembourg.

That is, providing you're willing to live under DIF martial law....
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    The picture is just plain hilarious.

"I want to go home"
    "Die motherfucker..."

Wow, whatever happened to people just talking a situation through?

On the flooding, I wonder how much more of this we can expect if the doomsayers are right. There are still houses in the UK that people haven't moved back into from last summer's flooding. I hear New Orleans is still a mess even now.

What with all the cyclones, hurricanes, tornados, torrential monsoons, sea level rises, not to mention, earthquakes, forest fires, Paris Hilton, volcanos, heatwaves, blizzards etc I think the last safe place on earth to live is going to be Luxembourg.

That is, providing you're willing to live under DIF martial law....

Graeme;

I say this with the utmost respect to you. Your response to the picture of "die motherfucker" is sooooo off-base and typical of a person that doesn't understand a police officer's duty. It's also typical of someone from Europe, that doesn't understand our laws and/or the reason our police are armed.

Did you read the story closely?? Or did you stop at the picture and assume that you knew the story??

This guy was already carted out of his home TWICE. Here in the states, the city inspectors are required, by law, to inspect ALL homes that have been compromised in floods. They check structural integrity along with whether or not gas, electricity & water can be turned back on.

This was the dumb-ass' THIRD attempt at trying to gain access to his home, THROUGH AN ARMED National Guard and Police checkpoint. When they motioned for him to stop, the trooper pointing the pistol at the truck, was bumped intentionally by the dumb-ass. In the States, that is considered assault, w/a deadly weapon, on a peace officer.

The state troopers are acting on authority from the city, county and state governments that WILL NOT allow anyone in to an unsafe area, until it hs been deemed safe. They were upholding their oath as officers too. To Protect Life and Property.

Conventional means to "talk it over" were long past and fruitless. This guy pushed his luck. The troopers pushed back. They won, he lost. He did nothing but ADD to the misery and frustration. After this incident, the inspectors stopped working in this neighborhood and moved to another one. Now his neighbors are SUPER-pissed at him.
    Last edited by RRMB; 06.17.08 at 01:52 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Give a guy a badge...Jezz

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Give a guy a badge...Jezz

Yup, you're right, he wanted that badge so he could pull his sidearm and hope to shoot someone.

Have a guy come at you with his truck. AFTER you'd already removed him from an area...TWICE...he was ILLEGALLY trying to access AGAIN. Tell me you wouldn't have done the samething.

No...........wait.............you would've let him through. Even though you've been ordered to NOT let ANYONE through. Yeah...sure.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Considering I heard of a guy who snuck in and fell through his floor and into the basement and died, law enforcement is simply trying to let code enforcement have a chance to make sure these homes are safe. Yes, it might be my home, but I'm not willing to die in it because of my own stupidity.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post
    Graeme;

I say this with the utmost respect to you. Your response to the picture of "die motherfucker" is sooooo off-base and typical of a person that doesn't understand a police officer's duty. It's also typical of someone from Europe, that doesn't understand our laws and/or the reason our police are armed.

Did you read the story closely?? Or did you stop at the picture and assume that you knew the story??

This guy was already carted out of his home TWICE. Here in the states, the city inspectors are required, by law, to inspect ALL homes that have been compromised in floods. They check structural integrity along with whether or not gas, electricity & water can be turned back on.

This was the dumb-ass' THIRD attempt at trying to gain access to his home, THROUGH AN ARMED National Guard and Police checkpoint. When they motioned for him to stop, the trooper pointing the pistol at the truck, was bumped intentionally by the dumb-ass. In the States, that is considered assault, w/a deadly weapon, on a peace officer.

The state troopers are acting on authority from the city, county and state governments that WILL NOT allow anyone in to an unsafe area, until it hs been deemed safe. They were upholding their oath as officers too. To Protect Life and Property.

Conventional means to "talk it over" were long past and fruitless. This guy pushed his luck. The troopers pushed back. They won, he lost. He did nothing but ADD to the misery and frustration. After this incident, the inspectors stopped working in this neighborhood and moved to another one. Now his neighbors are SUPER-pissed at him.
    Actually I was just making a joke about the picture, it just seemed funny the shot that was caught on film. I agree, of course if the guy drove his car into the police officer he was doing more than just going home. It was the whole absurdity of the situation, especially the driver, that made me laugh.

However, and I know you said with all respect (thanks for that), but, yes, I did read the story, one of my best friends is a cop so I do have a slight inkling of what that job entails but if you think I misunderstand the US (though I do visit my family there often) I think that you might misunderstand Europe a little too. Mainland European police are all armed, some of them a lot more heavily than their US counterparts - I would much rather get into a disagreement with a US cop than one from say Poland. Even in the UK, famous for it's unarmed police, a very large percentage are now fully loaded up. It's only the so called "bobbies" out patrolling who are without deadly force weaponry (just the usual gas cans, tasers and nightsticks).

Anyway, I am in agreement with you. The guy in this story was an idiot for doing what he did. In just about any country in the world, the police reaction would have been exaclty the same. Or worse.

Peace.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Actually I was just making a joke about the picture, it just seemed funny the shot that was caught on film. I agree, of course if the guy drove his car into the police officer he was doing more than just going home. It was the whole absurdity of the situation, especially the driver, that made me laugh.

However, and I know you said with all respect (thanks for that), but, yes, I did read the story, one of my best friends is a cop so I do have a slight inkling of what that job entails but if you think I misunderstand the US (though I do visit my family there often) I think that you might misunderstand Europe a little too. Mainland European police are all armed, some of them a lot more heavily than their US counterparts - I would much rather get into a disagreement with a US cop than one from say Poland. Even in the UK, famous for it's unarmed police, a very large percentage are now fully loaded up. It's only the so called "bobbies" out patrolling who are without deadly force weaponry (just the usual gas cans, tasers and nightsticks).

Anyway, I am in agreement with you. The guy in this story was an idiot for doing what he did. In just about any country in the world, the police reaction would have been exaclty the same. Or worse.

Peace.

I apologize. I get a little sensitive about these things. With my background and family history of law enforcement. I get a little bit tense and uptight about these kinds of things.

My Bad...COMPLETELY. I need a helmet. I'll be in the corner. LOL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Ugh...there are so many long term problems associated with floods....building structure, electrical, gas lines, unstable soil, chemical spills, mold, mildew, not to mention one of my favorites SEWAGE contamination!

It's just too damn dangerous to go into evacuated areas until local agencies deem them safe. Structures that can seem safe on the surface can have severe hidden damage that is a hazard to your health

People do have emotional attachments to their homes and do understandably wish to begin salvaging possessions, however large scale flooding requiring evacuation takes a large scale operation to begin recovery and re entering into an evacuated area before it is deemed safe only distracts law enforcement and other agencies from getting their job done.

One resident refusing to comply with orders can lead to a dozen doing the same and then a complete lack of control over the situation and utter chaos.

One of the things I try to teach my classes is that many times people do not react in what we would consider a "normal" or reasonable fashion under these types of super stressful situations. So called "good folks" can react in very uncharacteristic ways when their lives are so completely disrupted. You have to expect that going in.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Don't forget one of my all time favorites...critters. If it walks or slithers and doesn't want to stay in the water, it will seek high ground, which is often in, on or around a home.

Some of the land around our home after all three 'canes passed in 2004 was still above ground, and it was scary to see what kind of things you'd find out there!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy View Post

I apologize. I get a little sensitive about these things. With my background and family history of law enforcement. I get a little bit tense and uptight about these kinds of things.

My Bad...COMPLETELY. I need a helmet. I'll be in the corner. LOL
    No probs, I didn't take offence. Sometimes jokes just don't translate that well without hearing the voice too....

Stay cool....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default MORE PICTURES OF THE ARREST

A police officer with one hand on the hood of the car and the other on his gun warns resident Rick Blazek to back off as he tries to drive around a security checkpoint in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008. Frustrated residents expected to return to their homes today but the hazards encountered by inspection teams were deemed unsafe for the general public; it is anticipated that people will be able to retrieve items from their homes starting Tuesday. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig) (Seth Wenig - AP)

Rick Blazek, 54, is arrested by police officers after trying to drive around a security checkpoint in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008. Frustrated residents expected to return to their homes today but the hazards encountered by inspection teams were deemed unsafe for the general public; it is anticipated that people will be able to retrieve items from their homes starting Tuesday. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig) (Seth Wenig - AP)

Rick Blazek, 54, is escorted to a police car after being arrested for trying to drive around a security checkpoint in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008. Frustrated residents expected to return to their homes today but the hazards encountered by inspection teams were deemed unsafe for the general public; it is anticipated that people will be able to retrieve items from their homes starting Tuesday. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig) (Seth Wenig - AP)

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a big old post ready for this,but just couldn't do it. I'd be pissed if I was kept from everything I own after a while. Nuff said. I don't want to go into detail about why,cuz it seems everyone I talk to and argue with this kinda stuff about is from the city,and that's all they know. Which I never was,and this kind of thing is exactly why.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

It's not about being kept from their stuff, just to be mean. It's making sure that they don't go in to the house and get hurt. Insurance coverage WILL NOT cover a person hurt if they enter the house BEFORE it's inspected.

Once the city inspectors deem the home safe, it releases the city from liability. The person's homeowner insurance then covers anyone if they get hurt. Before that, you're SOL if you get hurt before official clearance is given. If they allow people in BEFORE the house is deemed habitable, the city is liable if a person gets hurt.
    Last edited by RRMB; 06.17.08 at 05:52 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning=Dave 5150=Sammy
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained or Summer Nights
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts

I read a book about a man in his house floating down the Mississippi. I think he was murdered but not drown.