Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

EBMM neck vs. Wolf neck

Hate to start a new thread for this, but hey, worse crimes have been commited here. So here goes

I own a 97 WG and absolutely love it.
    I played a EBMM many yrs ago & thought it was pretty awesome as well.

Here's the rub.... EBMM's are not readliy available on store shelves like the WG
    I was thinking about having a replacement neck made for my Warmoth Tele with all the specs of an EBMM (with a Tele headstock)
    Without any EBMM's around to play, it's hard to say if I still love the feel of the EBMM neck as much as the WG.

With all that said, I figure this is the place to get some feedback as to the EBMM neck in comparison to the WG neck.
    Thanks in advance - CV

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well dude to start...the Wolfgang neck has a 15 inch radius(really flat), compared to the 10 inch radius(rounded) on the Music Man. I think the Wolfy is more comfortable but thats just me. Both of them are asymetrical profiles 810 or 815 thickness with Dunlap 6105 fretwire I believe. I've done a few necks where I've tried replicate the EVH neck so I think I've got a pretty good handle on it. If you are looking for a replacement neck builder, may I suggest going with USA Custom Guitars. Tommy and his guys over there are super helpful and they get you your stuff nice and quick. In terms of what you can order and price...can't be beat...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default related ? but...

not Hi-jacking this thread by any means but...

When I 1st played Eddie's EBMM in '92, I couldn't believe the ease & comfort of the neck.

I finally bought a WG in 2006 & of course the neck's playing ability is incredible b/c of its radius.

was this Eddie's design/idea or are 10" & 15" radius' always common on other guitars? if so, which brands?

Thanx
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Funny... I was playing my EBMM today and noticing the subtle differences in the back profile compared to the Wolfgang.

I believe the EBMM was an exact replica of Ed's famous 5150 Kramer neck, which had a 10" radius and "worn" asymmetrical profile. On the Wolfgang they went with a "regular" asymmetrical profile and very flat 15" radius. I've grown quite used to the Wolfgang neck profile and find anything different from it to be just that--different.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

what I do remember about the EBMM neck was that is it reminded me of a baseball bat handle. Very thick, but it had a great feel to it.

I'm going to have to take a road trip to Boston & check one out to satisfy my own head. thanks for the feedback - CV

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I picked up Hurricane Halen's EBMM a few times over the weekend at TLWIV and I thought it felt good. I could easily get really comfortable with that neck even after playing a Wolfgang for so many years. I think both are equally good. I believe the biggest and best thing about both necks is they are oil finished as opposed to laquered...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I own 2 EBMMs, and I like prefer the radius & frets of the Wolf (and other guitars) so much, that I had one of mine modified. I prefer the finish & shape of the back of the Axis neck, though.

The neck on my Axis Super Sport (vintage trem instead of Floyd) now has a 12" radius (should've flattened all the way to 15") and the Wolfgang's Dunlop 6105 frets.

NOT the Warmoth 6105s, which are different, but the Wolfgang's Dunlop 6105s. Narrow like the EBMM's, but taller. My endurance tripled with this modification. End of story. It was just much easier to play, and easier to practice (and thus MASTER) difficult licks for extended periods of time.

It's not that I'm "faster" on this neck, although I am a stitch quicker, but I'm far more accurate, and able to execute tougher "Eddie" licks because I've got the miles under my fingers now. My hands were simply getting too fatigued earlier.

Whatever you do, go with Dunlop (again, NOT WARMOTH!) 6105s. Tall as a Jumbo fret, but narrow as a vintage fret.

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the thing is, both necks feel amazing, i think it matters on opinion. i personally like the feel of the EBMM a little better, again just an opinion.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I picked up Hurricane Halen's EBMM a few times over the weekend at TLWIV and I thought it felt good. I could easily get really comfortable with that neck even after playing a Wolfgang for so many years. I think both are equally good. I believe the biggest and best thing about both necks is they are oil finished as opposed to laquered...
    I was worried the radius of the EBMM would be too awkward when I first bought mine, but I've found it to be almost as comfortable as the Wolfgang. But, you're right, they're both just damn easy and comfortable to play, and the oil-finished-only neck is a big part of that. (I only do oil finished necks on my custom guitars now.)

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I own 2 EBMMs, and I like prefer the radius & frets of the Wolf (and other guitars) so much, that I had one of mine modified. I prefer the finish & shape of the back of the Axis neck, though.

The neck on my Axis Super Sport (vintage trem instead of Floyd) now has a 12" radius (should've flattened all the way to 15") and the Wolfgang's Dunlop 6105 frets.

NOT the Warmoth 6105s, which are different, but the Wolfgang's Dunlop 6105s. Narrow like the EBMM's, but taller. My endurance tripled with this modification. End of story. It was just much easier to play, and easier to practice (and thus MASTER) difficult licks for extended periods of time.

It's not that I'm "faster" on this neck, although I am a stitch quicker, but I'm far more accurate, and able to execute tougher "Eddie" licks because I've got the miles under my fingers now. My hands were simply getting too fatigued earlier.

Whatever you do, go with Dunlop (again, NOT WARMOTH!) 6105s. Tall as a Jumbo fret, but narrow as a vintage fret.
    And I think you're pointing out the progression Eddie has made from "fighting" with his guitars (the Frankenstrat could not have been very easy to play at all) to the much more comfortable EBMM and Wolfgangs.

Fatigue is also a huge concern of mine, as I usually play a minimum of two hours a day.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    what I do remember about the EBMM neck was that is it reminded me of a baseball bat handle. Very thick, but it had a great feel to it.

I'm going to have to take a road trip to Boston & check one out to satisfy my own head. thanks for the feedback - CV
    go 2 Boston tomorrow & get in the Celtics Victory Parade!! make sure u pick me up a - Beat LA T-shirt 4 me!
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JeppVH View Post
    go 2 Boston tomorrow & get in the Celtics Victory Parade!! make sure u pick me up a - Beat LA T-shirt 4 me!
    I'm a New England Boy, about one hr north of Boston.
    Haven't seen many EBMM's around in the past 15 yrs or so.
    WG's are plentiful & easy to come by. I have one & I love it, but I'm still intrigued by the EBMM. I have learned over time that you get what you pay for. I have seen the OLP's, but I'm skeptical of how happy I would be with one (olp)? I've gotta hand it to Ed, he has come out with some great guitars.
    It's really kinda crazy how much these damn things (guitars) get under your skin. If money was NO OBJECT!!!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    I'm a New England Boy, about one hr north of Boston.
    Haven't seen many EBMM's around in the past 15 yrs or so.

WG's are plentiful & easy to come by. I have one & I love it, but I'm still intrigued by the EBMM. I have learned over time that you get what you pay for. I have seen the OLP's, but I'm skeptical of how happy I would be with one (olp)? I've gotta hand it to Ed, he has come out with some great guitars.
    It's really kinda crazy how much these damn things (guitars) get under your skin. If money was NO OBJECT!!!!!!!!!
    haven't seem any EBMM's either but I'm more that 1 hour from Boston & if I was as close 2 Boston as you, I'd rather go 2 the Celtics Victory parade.

uhh...don't worry about the t-shirt. just ordered 1 off Celtics.com
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

imho, if you're gonna go flat, screw the Wolfie and get an old Ibanez Jem or Satriani. It doesn't get any flatter and thinner than that.

Myself, I like thick deep necks with a skinny nut, and the EBMM is just perfection in my book. I spent more hours than i could tell you making my 5150 replica match that neck (which is funny when you consider the EBMM neck is an exact duplicate of the original 5150 neck).

I've thought about the baseball bat comparison too... it does have that bat handle feel to it. Wonder if those guitars that John fogerty actually made out of Louisville Sluggers played similarly?
    Brendan

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 2,850 Times in 1,065 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    NOT the Warmoth 6105s, which are different, but the Wolfgang's Dunlop 6105s.
    This was my only gripe with my Warmoth neck. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way.

Other than the fret size difference, the neck is fantastic though. Birdseye maple, Wolfgang backshape, compound radius, and abalone inlays.