Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default More than 200,000 demand Microsoft save Windows XP

More than 200,000 demand Microsoft save XP

InfoWorld's petition to keep the popular Windows version on the market has passed a new milestone

By InfoWorld staff
    May 16, 2008

In the four months since InfoWorld asked businesses and individuals to sign a petition at SaveXP.com requesting Microsoft keep Windows XP for sale beyond the planned June 30 general end-of-sales date, more than 200,000 have signed up to add their voices. As of May 15, the count was 200,805 signatures, excluding duplicates and fake signups.

Vista woes could hurt Microsoft's revenue, analysts say
    Microsoft denies it's running call-in 'save XP' petition

"We're pleased and a little bit amazed that so many people from throughout the world have felt so passionately about the need to keep XP on the market," said Executive Editor Galen Gruman. "We had heard grumblings throughout much of 2007 about dissatisfaction with Vista's high hardware requirements, questionable interface changes, slow performance, and incompatibilities with third-party software, but no one seemed to want to say so in public. That's changed since the petition's launch on Jan. 14."

The campaign has caused a media frenzy, with stories in most major newspapers and news Web sites, as well as in blogs and radio programs. For example, Business Week noted in a recent story on increasing enterprise adoption of the Macintosh that Windows Vista was perhaps one of the biggest stumbles in tech history. A separate report noted that large companies such as General Motors and Alaska Airlines are skipping Vista and instead waiting for the next version of Windows, code-named Windows 7. And a major tech analyst firm has warned that Microsoft's many mishaps with Vista are putting the Windows franchise in jeopardy.

A few weeks ago, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer seemed to suggest that the company might give XP a reprieve -- something it had done six months ago when it extended XP's end-of-sales date from Dec. 31, 2007 to June 30, 2008, due to customer resistance to Vista, But his PR firm, Waggener Edstrom, quickly issued denials that any change was imminent, suggesting that the voices seeking to keep XP were a small minority.

Through its PR firm, Microsoft has declined to meet with InfoWorld to receive the petition and discuss the concerns of its customers who have signed it. Microsoft has repeatedly stated that it is satisfied with its sales of 140 million copies of Vista, which analysts and press reports repeatedly note include copies of Vista preinstalled on consumer PCs (for which XP has not been an option since spring 2007 at most retailers) or copies shipped to enterprises who exercise their rights to "downgrade" their systems to XP. There is no data on the willing adoption of Vista.

Microsoft has extended XP's life for sub-$400 PCs and for PCs meant for poor countries -- neither type of PC can run the more resource-intensive Vista. But Dell has gone a step further, announcing it would install XP on select new systems after June 30 using the "downgrade" license option from Microsoft in which a customer pays for Vista Business or Vista Ultimate but gets XP installed instead.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sign the petition yourself at http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

Long live XP! Down with Vista!

Why the fuck MS put out Vista is beyond me. XP works just fine, and Vista is the slowest, goofiest piece of shit OS on the market. It seems like MS moved shit around and renamed/revamped features just to confuse people. The firewall is made for an old granny who has never been on the Internet before. It's ridiculous that technology would go backwards instead of forward like this - especially with the money that MS has.

If it's not broken, why try to fix it???

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Just buy a Mac and you wouldn't have to worry about it. It took me all off 12 seconds to make the switch.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Littler Monster View Post
    Just buy a Mac and you wouldn't have to worry about it. It took me all off 12 seconds to make the switch.
    I noticed that Mac now has a big display at Best Buy stores. I would go that route, but as long as XP is available I can get by. I'm not ready to learn anything new. However, if I had to choose between Mac and Vista, I would go with a Mac. The learning curve would probably be easier.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Littler Monster View Post
    Long live Leopard!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

I'll stick with Windows, I like having my games and hardware work.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Silly kid. You can use any OS with a Mac. I've got XP installed on my Mac Pro. When I get the urge to play a game, I do. Mostly that's what the Xbox 360 is for, though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Mac OSX Tiger is a good OS but I don't care for their notebooks. I actually don't mind Vista, but to each his own.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here we are switching entire companies away from anything microsoft to linux.

it's been a thrill to see people start to ask for it at home as well.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 10 Posts

Vista works just fine for me. I am probably one of the few that thinks it is an improvement over XP.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Good luck Bill Gates makes up his own mind.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.07.09 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Vista works just fine for me. I am probably one of the few that thinks it is an improvement over XP.
    I agree with you on that statement Viking....
    Sm...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I am like Viking, I have had no problems with Vista and use it a lot for work and personal stuff.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've only tried to use Vista a few times on my daughter's PC, and it was confusing to me. Everything seemed different, and the firewall is very annoying! To me it's like when they move all the stuff in WalMart to different parts of the store when they remodel. I'm like fuck man, the hardware department was on the west side of the store for 10 years, now they moved it to the east side just to confuse you. Does it work better over there? I thought it was fine where it was.

Wives and girlfriends do this shit too.

Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 06.15.08 at 05:15 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Long live Leopard!

I got so damn sick of Windows in general, whether it be XP or Vista, and trashed both of my PC's and have never looked back. The Mac OS is absolutely wonderful to work with. The thing that really pissed me off about the Windows OS is all the shit running in the background and the horendously slow start up times. No Bullshit-- From the time I hit the power button until I am surfing the Web on my Mac is only 26 seconds!!!

When I made the switch I had lots of folks warn me with "You'll regret it" etc. I always responded with "Why?" but no one could ever give me any reason at all. I don't mean they gave me bullshit reasons, they couldn't give ONE reason other than "You just will."

All of my old Word and Excel files run fine on the Mac. In fact, I have a Windows environment on my Mac that runs better on the Mac than on a PC built for the Windows OS.

I'll never go back, especially after buying a PC with that piece of shit overhyped Vista on it. Good Riddance!!

Ry