Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2008 Presidential Race

Ok, the primaries are over...finally, and the campaigning for the general election for President of the United States of America is getting ready to start.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, however, if we can, let's try to discuss ISSUES based on facts and leave as much of the hoopla out of the discussion.

Here are the two Presidential candidates websites:

www.barackobama.com

www.johnmccain.com

Discuss and keep it nice and factual :-)
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Last Online

07.25.08 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Executionor View Post
    Discuss and keep it nice and factual :-)
    That would be a first-ever for a political discussion.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmstang View Post
    That would be a first-ever for a political discussion.
    Or a campaign.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

10 bucks that McCain will win.

Civil enough ?

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'll take that bet.

McCain sounded tired during his speech on the last night of the Democratic primaries. There just wasn't any energy or fire in his voice. I'd never heard him like that before.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Sure, Obama's a great speaker. Great speaker doesn't mean great leader. I've looked into his voting record in the senate. He makes Bill Clinton look like Ronald Reagan in comparison.

I not real thrilled with McCain either, but, he gets my vote.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Obama says he is smoking cigarettes again. Next thing you know, he'll be back on the Loon, too.

I'm voting McCain, but the office has a way of aging guys quickly, and he'll be the oldest guy to ever hold the office. I like Obama's youth, but that's about it.

I really wish Obama would answer questions, rather than saying that the American people want to move forward, or that we want to focus on the issues. His record and his philosophies are issues in themselves, and I don't like being told that his associations aren't important. They certainly are, IMO.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think the campaign has aged McCain. I was really shocked at his speech. I remember talking about this with my 80 year old grandmother back in January. She said she couldn't vote for him because he was too old. I told her that he seemed full of energy, and that his age wasn't a problem for me. She told me that I really had no idea what it is like to be that age, and that he'd wear down before the end of the year.

Grandma is a sharp cookie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went from being disgusted (the Republican primaries and Hillary) to being
    fairly engaged (the Democratic primaries) to being 90% apathetic again
    (now). Obama is (sometimes) a good speaker, but he hasn't impressed me
    much since the race began. And say what you will, there are some red
    flags on his judgement (even though it was mostly FOX making hay over
    his associations, one does wonder). McCain would've had me in 04, but he's
    wrecked his credibility since and I again find myself on the fence.
    Was thinking of absentee-ing one in, but at this point, I'm merely a spectator.

Parenthetically yours,

(Mr-E)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This helps dispell several of the silly rumors about Obama that have been floated by whoever.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/conte...thesmearshome/

The sources are not merely straight from the Obama camp, but are from public view. Two were busted in the video of the pledge of allegiance where he actually led the pledge as well as held his hand on his heart.

I also have to say that I have HUGE admiration for John McCain on his service time. I cannot imagine what he went through in his time of capture. I look forward to seeing in detail his plans for the country.

I also must admit that I am a political and news junkie and the election coverage will simply not be the same without Russert. You will be missed.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

--Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm canadian so yeah.

to the guys that are leaning to mccain, what is it about mccain and his politics that makes you vote for him?

what is it about obaman that doesn't make you want to vote for him?

just curious.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stephanie and I decided to raise our children in our hometown, which happens to be a "Rural Area". Our City Government has really tried to do as much for the town as they can as far as the infrastructure, however, funds are seriously limited, utilities are high and rising. I would like to see our Federal Government invest in the rural areas like they are doing in foreign lands to help us rebuild our small towns.
    A small excerpt from Obama's site that I like:
    The problem:
    Rural communities are often left behind: Rural communities often struggle to attract capital because of lack of infrastructure and remote distances. There is less access to quality doctors, and schools have trouble recruiting teachers (Steph is a teacher and we see the teacher difficulties every year).

Obama's intentions:
    Improve Rural Education: Obama will provide incentives for talented individuals to enter the teaching profession, including increased pay for teachers who work in rural areas. Obama will create a Rural Revitalization Program to attract and retain young people to rural America. Obama will increase research and educational funding for Land Grant colleges.

Upgrade Rural Infrastructure: Obama will invest in the core infrastructure, roads, bridges, locks, dams, water systems and essential air service that rural communities need.

Like I said earlier, Stephanie and I decided to move back home to Erie Kansas to raise our children in a nice quiet little town and we have made some great strides in making our little town a better place to live. Stephanie is the lead teacher in implimenting a fantastic way of teaching kids and for the kids to learn in a cutting edge way. Erie is in the middle of converting their whole teaching structure over to "Project Based Learning". I won't attempt to explain it, but if you are familiar with it, you know how well it covers all kids and if you are not familiar with it, take a few minutes to look it up if you are interested, it is a good read. I and a few others that are much better at this sort of this sort of thing than I am started back up our "Chamber of Commerce". We have gotten some things started here in town that I am really proud of and have several other ideas in the works.

I said all of the above to say this. Like all communities we have some really great teachers and community members who are willing to go the extra miles to get things done, but in rural areas, our fundages are very limited and are typically double edge swords. Taxes, utilities, etc...if you raise them, folks have a tendency to either move away or not move to your area to begin with. I am in hopes that Obama will come through and help us rural areas out monitarily. I cannot find anything on McCain that he says he will help our communities out. If someone has information that I cannot find on that, feel free to pass it along, I am open to new details.

Just my .02 on these 2 subjects.
    Last edited by Executionor; 06.15.08 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typos, etc...

--Will Rogers