Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Default 10th anniversary of "Dragging Death" in Texas

Jasper TX (associated press)

Ten years after James Byrd Jr was dragged to death down a three-mile stretch of country road simply because he was black, some things have changed in Jasper.

Black and white teenagers can be seen playing basketball together at James Byrd Jr. Memorial Park. Blacks now make up the majority of City Council. And an iron fence no longer separates the graves of whites and blacks in the 171-uear old cemetery where Byrd is buried.

But Byrd's murder, which jolted the nation with its utter brutality and unvarnished racism, still casts a shadow over this timber town in deep East Texas.

"It is something we have to live with the rest of our lives," said Walter Diggles, a black civic leader and executive director of the Deep East Texas Council fo Governments. "It is similar to Dalls, when people think of the JFK assissination, or Memphis, when people think of Martin Luther King's murder."

Ever since three white men beat the 49-year-old Byrd, chanied him by the ankles to the bumper of a Ford pickup, then pulled him down Huff Creek Road in the early hours of June 7, 1998, Jasper has been almost synonymous with the horrors of racism.

Byrd's remains were found scattered in 75 places along the twisting path that cuts through a pine forest. His head and right arm were discovered about a mile from his mangled torso.

A decade later, according to Diggles, some people are still afraid to visit Jasper, a town of 8,000 where the main intersection is a cluster of fast food places and restaurants offering chicken fried steak specials. Some businesses have been reluctant to come to town, which is badly in need of industry.

However Diggles and many others say there is a hopeful part of the story too often overlooked: The murder forced the people of Jasper, a town whose population is almost evenly divided between black and white, to confront their prejudices.

Byrd's murderers were quickly arrested and convicted, offering some comfort that justice was served. John William King and Lawrence Russell Brewer are now on death row. Shawn Allen Berry is serving a life sentence.

Clergy-both black and white-called on the people of Jasper to stay calm and stay home when the Black Panthers and the Ku Klux Klan came to march. And the residents did. Many also saw the response of the Byrd family ("We are not hating;we are hurting," James Byrd Sr said after his son's murder) as inspiring, ennobling.

"This was a mother who lost her son in the most cruel way, yet she showed and taught her family by her example that she is able to forgive," said the Reverend Ronald Foshage, a white priest at St. Michael's Parish. "If people can forgive, and if I can learn to forgive in that fashion, then this tragedy can have a deep impact on our lives."

This story, as well as the story of Mathew Shepard of Laramie Wyoming, who was also murdered in a hate crime in 1998, deeply touched me. To this day, these senseless deaths both enrage and inspire me to look deep within myself and examine my own heart for dark places where hate, and prejudices may dwell.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Jasper is 45 minutes north of me. I have a teacher on my campus who worked the morgue in Jasper at that time, but that is for another story. Anyway, Jasper is not the big racist town the media likes to portray it as. It is a nice quiet town sitting close to two of the states favorite fishing lakes. What you had was a couple backwoods racists who tainted the Jasper name. Make no mistake all of those involved were not of the highest caliber in terms of character including the victim, but no one deserves to be killed in such a grisly manner It was a senseless crime and those three murderers have and will pay dearly. It is truly sad to see the deep hatred and evil that some folks still possess. This country has made tremendous strides in putting our differences behind us. We very well could see our first black president at years end. There is no way that could even be considered a mere 50 years ago. As we move forward we will always have a few malcontents diminish the great strides we have made as a country. To those who have never visited the quiet town of Jasper do not let the evil created by three misguided individuals cast a negative view of a nice southern town.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda View Post
    Jasper is 45 minutes north of me. I have a teacher on my campus who worked the morgue in Jasper at that time, but that is for another story. Anyway, Jasper is not the big racist town the media likes to portray it as. It is a nice quiet town sitting close to two of the states favorite fishing lakes. What you had was a couple backwoods racists who tainted the Jasper name. Make no mistake all of those involved were not of the highest caliber in terms of character including the victim, but no one deserves to be killed in such a grisly manner It was a senseless crime and those three murderers have and will pay dearly. It is truly sad to see the deep hatred and evil that some folks still possess. This country has made tremendous strides in putting our differences behind us. We very well could see our first black president at years end. There is no way that could even be considered a mere 50 years ago. As we move forward we will always have a few malcontents diminish the great strides we have made as a country. To those who have never visited the quiet town of Jasper do not let the evil created by three misguided individuals cast a negative view of a nice southern town.
    Good post. If Obama gets elected this country is going to have a hard time dealing with the race issues. I already hear the comments from people at work about his race, religion , and what they think his intentions are. It going to be ugly.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

Good points. I forgot we're practically neighbors, those types certainly arent unique to Jasper. Quite a few of those people in our neck of the woods.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, this was no doubt a horrible and evil crime. Last I heard, the guilty were to be executed. That's the way it should be. Do the crime, pay the penalty regardless of race or stature.

A problem I'm having is understanding why so many are only brought to this level of sorrow and emotion when the victim is black and the person who commits the crime is or are white. I happen to know from first hand experience that many more brutal and violent crimes are committed by blacks against whites than the reverse. All one has to do is go to the "Department of Justice, violent crime stats" and it's all there to see. Where I grew up in New Orleans was once a safe, family friendly, non-violent community. That all changed with the influx of black residents in the late 1980's. It was a government program designed to get blacks out of bad neighborhoods and into good one's so they could prosper. Well, it didn't turn out so well. Within a DECADE, the entire community was fucked. Ridden with drugs, murder, rape, schools destroyed, buissness closed, etc, on and on. It is now one of the worst sections of town and the city is always trying to figure out how to revitalize the area, but every idea fails. Hmmmm, wonder why? The area was 80% white or so in it's best days, but now it is less than 8% white. Maybe we should have stayed and fought for it to stay nice, but it got bad and scary really fast. Who really wants to subject their children to that type of enviornment? This story is not unique, I've heard many relay the same scenario from other larger and smaller cities in this country. For whatever reason, these offenses are glossed over as if they have no relivance at all. That is wrong, because many people were effected and hurt by what transpired in my home town. If you want a possible true end to racial issues, you must acknowledge both sides of the issue and face the reality that blacks are not always the victims. In fact I recall hearing cries from black activists that "they(whites) are killing us all the time". Bullshit! Blacks kill blacks at the highest rate. When murder crosses racial boundries, it's the blacks killing whites at an extremely higher rate. This is a fact that many would rather not acknowledge or discuss. Guess it does not fit their perception of the racial problems this country has.

And while we are reminded of this terrible tragedy, lets also remember the TWO WHITE COLLEGE STUDENTS FROM KNOX TENN. THAT WERE RAPED,TORTURED, AND EVENTUALLY MURDERED BY 5 BLACK INDIVIDUALS. I'M SURE HATE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Well, this was no doubt a horrible and evil crime. Last I heard, the guilty were to be executed. That's the way it should be. Do the crime, pay the penalty regardless of race or stature.

A problem I'm having is understanding why so many are only brought to this level of sorrow and emotion when the victim is black and the person who commits the crime is or are white. I happen to know from first hand experience that many more brutal and violent crimes are committed by blacks against whites than the reverse. All one has to do is go to the "Department of Justice, violent crime stats" and it's all there to see. Where I grew up in New Orleans was once a safe, family friendly, non-violent community. That all changed with the influx of black residents in the late 1980's. It was a government program designed to get blacks out of bad neighborhoods and into good one's so they could prosper. Well, it didn't turn out so well. Within a DECADE, the entire community was fucked. Ridden with drugs, murder, rape, schools destroyed, buissness closed, etc, on and on. It is now one of the worst sections of town and the city is always trying to figure out how to revitalize the area, but every idea fails. Hmmmm, wonder why? The area was 80% white or so in it's best days, but now it is less than 8% white. Maybe we should have stayed and fought for it to stay nice, but it got bad and scary really fast. Who really wants to subject their children to that type of enviornment? This story is not unique, I've heard many relay the same scenario from other larger and smaller cities in this country. For whatever reason, these offenses are glossed over as if they have no relivance at all. That is wrong, because many people were effected and hurt by what transpired in my home town. If you want a possible true end to racial issues, you must acknowledge both sides of the issue and face the reality that blacks are not always the victims. In fact I recall hearing cries from black activists that "they(whites) are killing us all the time". Bullshit! Blacks kill blacks at the highest rate. When murder crosses racial boundries, it's the blacks killing whites at an extremely higher rate. This is a fact that many would rather not acknowledge or discuss. Guess it does not fit their perception of the racial problems this country has.

And while we are reminded of this terrible tragedy, lets also remember the TWO WHITE COLLEGE STUDENTS FROM KNOX TENN. THAT WERE RAPED,TORTURED, AND EVENTUALLY MURDERED BY 5 BLACK INDIVIDUALS. I'M SURE HATE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.
    Well pal1800, that's THE real world these days. It sucks to no end. I've said this before about the aftermath of the hurricane. The people I came into contact with were some of the most hateful racist ungrateful people I had ever met in my life. Every fucking thing was the white mans fault. Bitching about FREE goods we gave them. And this was obviously stuff just to get them by until they were relocated. Housing wasn't good enough. Food wasn't good enough. And, as you pointed out. The fighting, the assaults, the theft...the list goes on. Including the murder of a retired marine over a cup of water. And this fucker killed the man and still walked to work covered in blood and asked his mgr for a smoke break BEFORE his shift started. But that stuff isn't brought up.

But back on topic. Damn, didn't realize it's been ten years. Sad story all around. Fucking brutal shit. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think that's the great tragedy of what's become PC America; it's
    impossible to honestly discuss race without sounding like a bigoted asshole.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    I think that's the great tragedy of what's become PC America; it's
    impossible to honestly discuss race without sounding like a bigoted asshole.
    You are absolutely correct there but it's kind of payback for past crimes that whatever group was the victim a generation or two ago gets the upper hand in matters of debate and the past aggressors simply have to take it. In time, things will level themselves out as they always do.
    Even now in Germany, most Germans are extremely careful about what they say about certain groups, simply, as they all tell me, because their awful history does not allow them to speak openly about their feelings for fear of being branded a nazi.
    Should people have to apologise for their ancestors acts? Probably not, but it always goes this way and will continue to do so.
    Do certain individuals take advantage of this situation? Of course. Not quite sure I agree with it being about being pc though. Most countries have some eras in their past that are shameful and all have to come to terms with what happened before people are able to move on.
    The thing about this particular crime, and it made the news in Europe too, was that it smacked so much of the old lynchings that were happening all those years ago. It reminded too many of a terrible era and whilst that is perhaps based on symbolism, it does nothing to reduce the appalling nature of that crime. And that is why it is deemed more newsworthy than a white person being murdered in such a brutal fashion.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

I don't think that anyone can argue that the white race has gotten a tough break in American....but a very good point has been made about how difficult it is to discuss race in America....and this is with a bi racial man running for President! I think the very fact that he refers to himself as "black" and not bi-racial is the kind of equivocation that proves how complicated the race issue remains.

I think one of the positives of the aritcle that "commemorated" the awful event, and the reason I posted it, is that this crime, while an example of the extreme brutality that some people are capable of, has also had a positive effect on the small town of Jasper Texas. This is a town that until a few years ago, had a fence that separated the black part of the cemetery from the white part of the cemetery...surely a vestige of the past generation's participation in segregation and obviously not a representation of the beliefs of the current generation, as witnessed by their removal of the fence and their movement to a more receptive community.

I'm sure that no one in Jasper is "grateful" for the experience and would ahve preferred to have come to this understanding in another way, but they have taken some good away from a completely horrible situation.

If a small rural town like Jasper Texas, can be compelled to examine their prejudices and hatred and move beyond them to heal and unite a community, in the glare of an unwanted and unprepared for public spot light, then there is room for all of us, of every race to do the same in our own communities. Make no mistake, I do not hold other races unaccountable for their own prejudices.... I have met many a black person and Latino who carries within themselves a hatred and distrust for other races that can only be described as racism.

Pal1800 and track5 have had bad experiences and my family and I have had some of those same experiences. It is unfortunate that frequently it is our bad experiences that galvanize and shape our convictions more than our good or neutral experiences, but I do not expect anyone to apostatize their own firmly held convictions based upon a anonymous internet posting. I do not know them well enough to pass judgment upon them

One thing is undisputed....poverty breeds crime and undermines morals, not race, and government programs designed to eliminate poverty have been misguided and ineffective and have fostered generational dependence upon social service programs instead of independence.

We are a better America than we get credit for. It is easy to make us a target, because we have set such high standards for ourselves. I get a lot of grief from Canadians that I know who try to point out what a failure we are. Yes we have failed to meet some of our lofty goals as set forth in our constitution....and yes we have made some terrible mistakes when the consitution gets co-opted by administrations who have misused their power, but the point is, we have those goals in the first place...and emerging nations around the world have used our constitution as the template for their own, recognizing the greatness of this document and the perspicacious judgement of our forefathers in regard to the independence and equality of man and the necessity to protect the same.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    You are absolutely correct there but it's kind of payback for past crimes that whatever group was the victim a generation or two ago gets the upper hand in matters of debate and the past aggressors simply have to take it. In time, things will level themselves out as they always do.
    Even now in Germany, most Germans are extremely careful about what they say about certain groups, simply, as they all tell me, because their awful history does not allow them to speak openly about their feelings for fear of being branded a nazi.
    Should people have to apologise for their ancestors acts? Probably not, but it always goes this way and will continue to do so.
    Do certain individuals take advantage of this situation? Of course. Not quite sure I agree with it being about being pc though. Most countries have some eras in their past that are shameful and all have to come to terms with what happened before people are able to move on.
    The thing about this particular crime, and it made the news in Europe too, was that it smacked so much of the old lynchings that were happening all those years ago. It reminded too many of a terrible era and whilst that is perhaps based on symbolism, it does nothing to reduce the appalling nature of that crime. And that is why it is deemed more newsworthy than a white person being murdered in such a brutal fashion.
    I don't owe anyone, anything for what's been done in the past! Idiots running around with their pants down low and their hats on crooked, acting like I or other people like me owe them something.

And before anyone goes off on me for being a racist, I'll add that there are plenty of white teens and twenty somethings with the same attitude. Like it's my fault that their parents are trailer trash, their momma has more kids than teeth, and an "Earnhardt #3 Forever" tattoo on her ass.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I don't owe anyone, anything for what's been done in the past! Idiots running around with their pants down low and their hats on crooked, acting like I or other people like me owe them something.

And before anyone goes off on me for being a racist, I'll add that there are plenty of white teens and twenty somethings with the same attitude. Like it's my fault that their parents are trailer trash, their momma has more kids than teeth, and an "Earnhardt #3 Forever" tattoo on her ass.
    Hey Viking, I know you're one of the good guys and would never call you a racist. And I agree that you, and none of us, owes anyone for the crimes of the past of our respective countries.

The point I was trying to make is that, whilst there are still those alive who were on the receiving end of injustices, they will have passed that mistrust (at best) onto their children.

It takes time for a "watering down" process to occur and the sad reality is that, whatever group was held responsible for those actions in the past has to bite it's collective tongue for fear of being called bigots.

This reality is hardly confined to America's history either. I live in Germany these days and the legacy of Hitler's reign still hangs over what can and cannot be said.

There are jokes on here about the French being cheese eating surrender monkeys but that war is long gone. The stereotype still exists with some people who have no idea of what kind of country France is today.

and on and on.........

People do hark back to the past and whilst it is irrational and pointless, unfortuantely we have to deal with it as a sad reality.

It's the old story. If my brother commits a crime and is publicly vilified, by association, so will I be too. It's not logical but it is, alas, human.
    Last edited by graeme; 06.08.08 at 07:19 AM.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I am not a racist, I am a stereotypist.

White trash, black trash, Puerto Rican trash, etc. It makes no difference. Trash is always trash. And you know who you are....hell, we ALL know who you are.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Hey Viking, I know you're one of the good guys and would never call you a racist. And I agree that you, and none of us, owes anyone for the crimes of the past of our respective countries.

The point I was trying to make is that, whilst there are still those alive who were on the receiving end of injustices, they will have passed that mistrust (at best) onto their children.

It takes time for a "watering down" process to occur and the sad reality is that, whatever group was held responsible for those actions in the past has to bite it's collective tongue for fear of being called bigots.

This reality is hardly confined to America's history either. I live in Germany these days and the legacy of Hitler's reign still hangs over what can and cannot be said.

There are jokes on here about the French being cheese eating surrender monkeys but that war is long gone. The stereotype still exists with some people who have no idea of what kind of country France is today.

and on and on.........

People do hark back to the past and whilst it is irrational and pointless, unfortuantely we have to deal with it as a sad reality.

It's the old story. If my brother commits a crime and is publicly vilified, by association, so will I be too. It's not logical but it is, alas, human.
    I should have added in my post that I wasn't venting at you. I just hate that some people think that I'm guilty for something I haven't done.

I'm with jimmy812 on one thing: Trash is trash!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

....and every person out there has a bias against some group of people for whatever reason.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

....and every person out there has a bias against some group of people for whatever reason.
    my grandmother disliked all Hungarians because she said they always had to have the biggest vegetable gardens and lied about the size of their tomatoes.....true story!!!!!!!!!!