Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolfgang TR ???

On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Wolfgang TR ???

Did you guys see the Goldtop listed on ebay. Well he is claiming that 'TR' on his spec sheet means maple top and it doesnt. 'TR' means Tremelo but according to Peavey the Goldtops and the Seafoam Green carried a maple top. However the Blacks and Ivorys did not. The guy just sold a Ivory by using the same tactics about 'TR" meaning maple top. I forwarded a email to him from Peavey and he now knows. He still hasnt changed it in his listing. Makes me wonder if he knew all along...hmm.
    Just figured I would make this known to all you Wolfgang fans!!

FLT ( flame top ) MP ( maple ) TR ( tremolo )

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've done a lot of policing on eBay when it comes to Wolfgangs. (They're about the only thing I check every day.) Sometimes I have the energy to write the seller, sometimes I don't. It really comes down to the buyer needing to do his/her research. But I hate seeing asshole, lying sellers get away with it.

As Rat said, seafoam green and vintage gold Wolfgangs had maple tops; they were usually painted as so when a top was rejected for one reason or another. VERY selectively gloss black Wolfgangs had a maple top--but there were really only a few--and the only way to know was to hold the top at just the right angle to see the seam running down the middle. (All solid basswood Wolfgangs were otherwise three-piece bodies, so two seams running down on each side of the pickups would be the giveaway there was no maple top.)

To date I've never heard of a production model Wolfgang in gloss ivory having a maple top.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've done a lot of policing on eBay when it comes to Wolfgangs. (They're about the only thing I check every day.) Sometimes I have the energy to write the seller, sometimes I don't. It really comes down to the buyer needing to do his/her research. But I hate seeing asshole, lying sellers get away with it.

As Rat said, seafoam green and vintage gold Wolfgangs had maple tops; they were usually painted as so when a top was rejected for one reason or another. VERY selectively gloss black Wolfgangs had a maple top--but there were really only a few--and the only way to know was to hold the top at just the right angle to see the seam running down the middle. (All solid basswood Wolfgangs were otherwise three-piece bodies, so two seams running down on each side of the pickups would be the giveaway there was no maple top.)

To date I've never heard of a production model Wolfgang in gloss ivory having a maple top.

Well said..

I also have heard the rumors about the black wolfgangs. I personally havent seen any so I didnt want to start any rumors. I have heard it and fully believe what you are saying. Here is a quote from Peaveys email.

Ron, People can come up with some strange things. There were only two solid
    color Wolfgangs that had maple tops, the Seafoam Green and the Goldtop. The
    Ivory, Black, etc. do not have maple tops.

Thank you
    XXXXXXXXXX
    Peavey Electronics
    Last edited by Rat; 06.06.08 at 02:47 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man. I wish I knew as much about those axes as you dudes. I have alot of studyin to do. And not alot of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Man. I wish I knew as much about those axes as you dudes. I have alot of studyin to do. And not alot of time.
    I wish I could build a guitar like alot of you and I wouldnt worry about the other brand guitars Id be building some cooler shizzz !!

Favorite VH Album

the first one
    Favorite VH Song

running with the devil
    Last Online

08.21.12 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    just read these forums and search wolfgang i learned something just in this thread about the FM tops on blacks and whites -i didn't know either, have seen auctions on ebay stateing this oppisite.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is another guy on ebay claiming to have two early first year quilts. Neither one have a pat pend stamp. I asked Peavey about that and they told me that it should have had the stamp. He is also claiming that the purple quilt is the first purple quilt made. By going to Rockandrollweekend.com you can clearly see that there were others made before his, unless the serial numbers were not in order. I guess my question is...why no pat stamp....? Peavey says it should be there, should it?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    There is another guy on ebay claiming to have two early first year quilts. Neither one have a pat pend stamp. I asked Peavey about that and they told me that it should have had the stamp. He is also claiming that the purple quilt is the first purple quilt made. By going to Rockandrollweekend.com you can clearly see that there were others made before his, unless the serial numbers were not in order. I guess my question is...why no pat stamp....? Peavey says it should be there, should it?
    Very early Wolfgangs did not have the Pat. Pend. stamp--only the EVH signature. The serial numbers were only sort of in order; it really depended on when a neck was attached to a guitar. (I believe the serial numbers were stamped on necks first, hence the reason some lower ones didn't get a build date until a couple of years into the run.) Whether or not this eBay guy is telling the truth about the purple one being the first purple one... I don't know.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also remember someone on eBay selling a purple quilt Wolfgang body and neck claiming it to be a Peavey "prototype".

I dunno ... I find myself trusting people less and less these days.
    It's either a sign of the times or a sign that maybe I'm just getting old.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Very early Wolfgangs did not have the Pat. Pend. stamp--only the EVH signature. The serial numbers were only sort of in order; it really depended on when a neck was attached to a guitar. (I believe the serial numbers were stamped on necks first, hence the reason some lower ones didn't get a build date until a couple of years into the run.) Whether or not this eBay guy is telling the truth about the purple one being the first purple one... I don't know.
    Hmm, that's interesting stuff.

I've got a 1st year purple (bought new) 910016xx. I'll have to check on the build date. Think mine says March/April 97.

I think it has the Pat. Pend., but I'm not sure. Then again, I had to wait 11 months for the thing, so it's probably not that "early."

I got to play one of Ed's green ones once (Standard w/ trem). It had a sticker/unbranded serial number on the back and was stock just like the production models. Guess that mean he never played it.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5 View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting stuff.

I've got a 1st year purple (bought new) 910016xx. I'll have to check on the build date. Think mine says March/April 97.

I think it has the Pat. Pend., but I'm not sure. Then again, I had to wait 11 months for the thing, so it's probably not that "early."

I got to play one of Ed's green ones once (Standard w/ trem). It had a sticker/unbranded serial number on the back and was stock just like the production models. Guess that mean he never played it.
    There's really only a handful without the Pat. Pend. stamp. How they worked sequentially in the production run is something I don't know. They very well could have been just the first few official production guitars. I'm guessing, though.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You might want to correct AJ if you know this to be a fact. He is telling me that according to the serial numbers I provided, they should have had the stamp. Dunno

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know some of you guys are really into Wolfgangs, but I honestly don't understand why these guitars are fetching just as much, if not more than the EBMM EVH's.

They're not "bad" guitars, but unlike the EBMM EVH's, there were several variations mass produced from here to Korea!

Sure, there are the "Custom Shop" models that are somewhat unique, but still ... I wouldn't think these guitars would be as "collectable" as the EBMM's.

Am I missing something?

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I know some of you guys are really into Wolfgangs, but I honestly don't understand why these guitars are fetching just as much, if not more than the EBMM EVH's.

They're not "bad" guitars, but unlike the EBMM EVH's, there were several variations mass produced from here to Korea!

Sure, there are the "Custom Shop" models that are somewhat unique, but still ... I wouldn't think these guitars would be as "collectable" as the EBMM's.

Am I missing something?

I think the fact that Ed's playing a Wolfgang on stage every night isn't hurting sales any. Plus, just having the "EVH" name on any guitar is going to bring in more bucks. Just think realistically. How many of us would have ever bought, or even noticed the EBMM or Wolfgang if they were never associated with EVH? I remember when I first saw an EBMM, I thought it was butt ugly. I've since grown to associate them as an "Eddie" guitar, so now I appreciate them. I own two Wolfgangs and love them, but I would have never discovered them if they weren't "Eddie" guitars. Plus a lot of people probably don't realize how mass produced the Wolfies are and figure they're worth thousands of dollars "since it's Eddie's guitar".

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    I think the fact that Ed's playing a Wolfgang on stage every night isn't hurting sales any. Plus, just having the "EVH" name on any guitar is going to bring in more bucks. Just think realistically. How many of us would have ever bought, or even noticed the EBMM or Wolfgang if they were never associated with EVH? I remember when I first saw an EBMM, I thought it was butt ugly. I've since grown to associate them as an "Eddie" guitar, so now I appreciate them. I own two Wolfgangs and love them, but I would have never discovered them if they weren't "Eddie" guitars. Plus a lot of people probably don't realize how mass produced the Wolfies are and figure they're worth thousands of dollars "since it's Eddie's guitar".
    EBMM only made approximately 6000 EVH models.
    Peavey probably mass produced that many Wolfgangs in a week.
    I kid, but seriously ... it blows my mind that the Wolfgangs would be comparable in price to the rarity of the very FIRST EvH endorsed and EvH designed guitar ever made.

I agree with your comments regarding the EvH "association" ...
    Prior to the Wolfgang, Peavey was better known for their amplifiers and PA equipment, not guitars.
    And their amps weren't even that good!

I will admit ... Peavey has come a LONG way.
    But still ... the Wolfgang is no EBMM EVH IMO.