Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Neil Young almost wrecks car that will "save the world".

WICHITA, Kansas (AP) -- Neil Young, the rocker who provided some of the soundtrack to Vietnam-era protests, is again trying to change the world -- with his car.

Neil Young wants to use his convertible as a template to make electric cars more mainstream.

Young has teamed up with Johnathan Goodwin, a Wichita mechanic who has developed a national reputation for re-engineering the power units of big cars to get more horsepower but use less fuel.

The two are looking to convert Young's 1959 Lincoln Continental convertible to operate on an electric battery.

Ultimately, they said, they want the Continental to provide a model for the world's first affordable mass-produced electric-powered automobile.

"Johnathan and this car are going to make history," Young told The Wichita Eagle.

"We're going to change the world; we're going to create a car that will allow us to stop giving our wealth to other countries for petroleum."

Young has poured about $120,000 so far into the project, Goodwin said.

What's more, the prototype power system worked during a 12-mile test drive of the car last week -- albeit with a few glitches.

"She was awesome," Young said of the battery-operated car. "Her acceleration was incredible, she moved with hardly a sound; it was so quiet we could hear the wind through the tags of other cars."

The drive almost ended in disaster when Goodwin, who controls acceleration with a knob in the back seat, twisted it the wrong way while approaching an entrance ramp and the vehicle lurched toward the rear of another car.

Young, in the passenger seat, was able to hit the brakes in time.

"Still needs work," said Goodwin, 37.

Young, 62, said he came across taped interviews of Goodwin eight months ago on the Internet, including a segment for the MTV show "Pimp My Ride." Goodwin's clientele includes California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had Goodwin work on his Hummer.

Young said he set out wanting his car to be able to use biodiesel, but later asked Goodwin whether they could instead power it with batteries and use it as a template to make electric cars more mainstream.

"The technology to make a practical and affordable electric car has been around for a long time," Goodwin said. "There are all sorts of ways of doing it and all sorts of ways to work out how to make it work on a national scale."

For Young, the project may finally complete a mission he set for himself with his music.

"You know, I thought long ago you could change the world by writing songs," he said.

"But you can't change the world by writing songs. Oh, you can inspire a few people, get some of them to change their thinking about something. But you can't change the world by writing songs.

"But we could change it with this car."

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a stoner - LOL! I can picture him almost crashing this old jalopy into another car all fucking high on weed. Now that would have made some headlines for the car.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

The drive almost ended in disaster when Goodwin, who controls acceleration with a knob in the back seat, twisted it the wrong way while approaching an entrance ramp and the vehicle lurched toward the rear of another car.

F#@*ing Back Seat Drivers!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

F#@*ing Back Seat Drivers!

That's what I was thinking! Also, why is the acceleration controlled by a knob in the BACK SEAT?! Only a stoner would come up with that idea.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.01.09 @ 08:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    That's what I was thinking! Also, why is the acceleration controlled by a knob in the BACK SEAT?! Only a stoner would come up with that idea.
    Well temporary, I'm sure. It is a prototype after all.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, a more fuel-efficient car. What a hippie pipe dream.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I'm all for anything that can keep our cars running using less gas.

But my question is - this guy drives from the back seat, sez Neil was in the passenger seat - so there's no one in the driver's seat?

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by whatthehell? View Post
    Well temporary, I'm sure. It is a prototype after all.
    Why not permanently put is somewhere oh, I don't know, more logical? Like the drivers seat? And why a knob? Did he steal Eddie's Variac!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    Yeah, a more fuel-efficient car. What a hippie pipe dream.
    I'm not against a fuel efficient car, but these guys are smoking something stronger than pot.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, why is the acceleration controlled by a knob in the BACK SEAT?! Only a stoner would come up with that idea.
    Because those stoners were thinking to themselves "Ya know Goodwin, we better control this thing from the backseat, in case we're too stoned and smack something"!

Seriously though, they must have one helluva battery to power a steel battleship like a '59 Lincoln. That frickin' thing probably weighs a ton.

It's a prototype man, whaddja expect?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I just knew that giving Young the plans for the flux capacitor was a bad idea.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think the idea behind an electric car is a good one, but it has it's faults.

With all of those electric cars, where are we going to get all of that electricity from? Half of our electricity comes from burning coal with another 19% coming from nuclear power plants and 18.6% coming from Natural Gas. That's about 88% of our electricity. The same people that are pushing for electric cars, HATE where we get our electricity from.
    Last edited by Viking; 06.03.08 at 07:10 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With all of those electric cars, where are we going to get all of that electricity from? Half of our electricity comes from burning coal with another 19% coming from nuclear power plants and 18.6% coming from Natural Gas. That's about 88% of our electricity. The same people that are pushing for electric cars, HATE where we get our electricity from.
    That's a good point. Also, I find it kind of odd that Young is placing this in an old boat like a Lincoln. A battery would have to work much harder to push a heavy car like that, thus draining it more frequently. Kind of goes against accomplishing anything.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I don't know - if they can make the system work efficiently in a car like that, then I guess anything else after that (especially if it's smaller/lighter) should be gravy!

Maybe we need to get going with solar panels. All these flat buildings - all these Wal-Marts, Home Depots, Targets, shopping malls, etc. - is there a reason we can't cover their roofs with solar panels? I don't know what kind of electricity solar panels generate, but compared to wind generated electricity, solar panels can be put on all these roofs and unless you are up in the sky, you'd never know they were there, so people wouldn't be able to complain as they do when the windmills block their view of the ocean...