Default *** Grand Rapids REVIEWS 6.2 ***

Reviews only.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD
    Last Online

07.07.17 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Just got back from Van Halen arena in Grand Rapids.

Up until literally 7:00 PM tonight I had decided I wasn't going, therefore I didn't make any plans to go. But the local radio station was playing VAn Halen all day and it really made me want to go. Tonight I was at my daughter's softball game when I couldn't get it out of my mind how badly I wanted to go see VH. In a last minute decision, in just over an hour I was at the venue. (Sorry Honey, I hope you understand!) Lucklily the game was almost over when I left. I drove 80 downtown to make it to the box office before they closed. Just in time. I took my two teenage sons with me, it was their very first rock concert.

I missed Brian Shaw, but who cares. Let's get to the real show. I got in my seat at 8:35 and VH started at 8:40. Perfect timing.

It was exactly the same concert as everyone else reported seeing in other cities, and I don't mean that negativeley because Van Halen was really great. There really wasn't anything that I was expecting to happen other than what did.

Dave was energetic and kept the crowd energized the whole time. I'm not a big fan of some of his more vulgar stuff, but oh well. He sang well.

I've been a harsh critic of Edwards since the late 80's when I could tell his guitar playing was getting slower and sloppier. By 2004 his playing downright sucked and I felt embarrassed for him. Even the first part of this tour I didn't think it was as good. I just felt the magic was gone. The worst ever was just before they put the tour on hold. HOWEVER, I was so happy that tonight I heard him play the guitar just as good as I've ever heard him play. He was really on top of his game and I almost dare to say he sounded better than ever. He was fast, clean, neat looking and appearantly sober. He was the whole reason I wanted to go and it was worth every penny.

Wolfgang is really an amazing kid. He really did an awesome job and Dave gave him a congratulations for doing an outstanding job on this tour. I think as much as we miss Mike, Wolf has filled the shoes very well. The background vocals were great,and evein if they were piped in, they were also singing them and they did a great job.

I give the show an A+. There really isn't anything I would suggest that they do to improve the show.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Pretty awesome show IMO. As I state in every review that I write here, I am not a musician whatsoever so I can't break down what any of them did as right or wrong, but I will say that everything sounded great to me. Each and every song seemed to have a great flow to it, and I screamed all of the words at the top of my lungs without missing a beat, it was great. Not that it means anything coming from me, but Eddie seemed really enthusiastic about this show and very "into" his playing. Same as some of the other shows, Crossroads was tacked on at the end of SGMAD, no Little Guitars. (Even though during the 5* tour the tech showed us one of Ed's guitars and said "Ed uses this one for "Little Guitars".???

Diamond Dave did a couple of things I thought were kind of funny. During his Ice Cream Man speech, he slightly changed the story from the previous show that I went to. In Detroit (Palace of Auburn Hills) in October, he said that they would give the ice cream to the little kids from the truck that Stan drove to make room for the beer. Last night in Grand Rapids, Dave said they just threw all of the ice cream away to make room for the beer. I didn't think it was a big deal of course, just got a little chuckle out of it. Then during Panama, he stated that "I'm allowed to change the words, aren't I?" I laughed at that thinking about his classic "I forgot the fuckin' words" claim.

Like I said I went 5*, had row A seat 15, which was basically dead nuts front and center. Awesome show and experience, I'm glad that I went and even more glad that after the show I only had about a 10 minute drive back to my house, where I shared a bottle of champagne with my wife, and then proceeded to get some leg, for sure. I nearly ruined my chance at getting some leg when I broke out Dave's quote of "Take off the fat dress and get on the mattress". I had to do some back pedaling and ass kissing, and it all worked out. Thank God I've taken a vacation day from work today to recover. As usual, my voice is shot and ears are ringing.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts

Van Halen concert 'all about attitude'

by John Sinkevics | The Grand Rapids Press
    Tuesday June 03, 2008, 12:16 AM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Halfway through Van Halen's raucous "You Really Got Me" opener on Monday night, lead singer David Lee Roth shook guitarist Eddie Van Halen's hand, with both veteran rockers beaming broadly.

Van Halen's David Lee Roth, left, Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen entertain the crowd during their concert on Monday night."Better late than never, eh?" Roth screamed to the 10,000 or so on hand at the show, which originally had been scheduled for April.

The pair would trade smiles often during Monday's two-hour show -- the last concert on the band's much-publicized reunion tour and, who knows, maybe the last Van Halen show ever -- Roth even whispering into the guitarist's ear during "Somebody Get Me a Doctor."

Just a few short years ago, who'd a thunk it? Who would have thought these acrimonious rockers would joyously be playing a final glorious concert in a mostly triumphant reunion tour spanning two calendar years? Who would have guessed a 53-year-old guy, Eddie Van Halen, still could light up an electric guitar as few can after battling cancer and drug problems, or his teenage son, Wolfgang, actually would be the band's bassist?

And who'd a thunk it would all wind up right here in River City, the final show in an unexpected chapter of a tumultuous story of hard rock?

The Van Halen crowd salutes the band at the concert.Just three days after Tom Petty treated Grand Rapids to the first show of his North American tour, Van Halen swooped in for the last show of its North American jaunt, appropriately opening the evening with that familiar cover of The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" and ending with celebratory, confetti-splashed "Jump."

Grand Rapids fans had to wait an extra two months for their Van Halen fix (after part of the tour was postponed so Eddie could get treatment for an unspecified medical condition), but there's little doubt those who turned in their tickets for the rescheduled show (leaving some banks of empty seats) will regret it after hearing the concert report at work today from pals who partied and "danced the night away."

Ryan Shaw, a Georgia R&B/rock singer with a bucketload of soul, opened the evening with a half-hour set that included a moving rendition of The Beatles' "Let It Be," along with covers of tunes by Janis Joplin and Otis Redding. But it was an understated performance compared to what came next.

While Roth, drummer Alex Van Halen and even young bassist/offspring Wolfgang Van Halen all had their moments, Eddie Van Halen clearly was the unassailable star of this show, his fingers crawling like a high-speed rattler over the fretboard of his guitar, bending strings, unleashing tasty trills, tapping the fingers of his right hand on the strings. producing throaty growls and generally just making his electric guitar look like another appendage of his body, part of his very flesh and fiber.

Van Halen concert highlights
    Highlight No. 1: Eddie Van Halen's sizzling guitar work all night, especially on "Romeo Delight," "Atomic Punk" and after "Panama"
    Highlight No. 2: The one-two punch of "I'll Wait" and "And the Cradle Will Rock," followed not long after by "Jamie's Cryin' "

There was a relaxed, energetic, pressure-free aura to the final show of Van Halen's tour with no special surprise guests or major setlist changes. Instead, the band tore confidently through its biggest hits, from "Runnin' With the Devil" to "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" to "Beautiful Girls" in a show that wasn't so much about the songs as it was about attitude and the way they're played on a loud and proud electric guitar.

Roth, once brutally described by music critic Dave Marsh as "the most obnoxious singer in human history," often lived up to that billing as he strutted the stage in goofy fashion in a loud pink jacket, waddling with a megaphone between his legs, making a "booty call," grabbing his crotch.

But even if his voice seemed to lose its luster at times (sometimes even undermixed), Roth also made the perfect over-the-top, rock-star foil to Eddie Van Halen's tattered-jeans-style guitar wizardry, and even showed off some nice vocal chops on "I'll Wait."

Of course, it helps when your lead guitarist is a master of his instrument and seems awfully happy to be so, grinning unabashedly all night long, hopping up and down in red, hightop sneakers, churning out eye-popping, Lamborghini-quick riffs, actually looking healthy.

And there were plenty of father-and-son bonding moments, as Wolfie and his dad sang into the same microphone and traded smirks across the stage.

It all made it seem like there was plenty more life left in this version of Van Halen, even as rumors of another studio album continue to crop up.

Roth referred to the band's story as an "epic" and a "saga," with some choice four-letter words thrown in for good measure.

"Hopefully, it won't be too long before we see you all along the road again," Roth declared.

So maybe Grand Rapids isn't the end of the line after all.

E-mail Press music critic John Sinkevics at jsinkevics@grpress.com.

Top Of The World VanFreakinHalen's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150/Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Panama/Unchained
    Last Online

12.04.16 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed rules again!!!

"And still the heavyweight champion of the world, Edward Van Halen!!!!!!!!!!!" Man, Ed was so much better than he was back in October when I seen them at the Joe. He looked happy and healthy, as well. His solo was just right. This show just rocked and reminded me of why I fell in love with VH in the first place.
    Last edited by VanFreakinHalen; 06.03.08 at 07:33 AM. Reason: To add text.
    "Thank you, Drive Through!"

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.22.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took in the final night of the VH tour last night, and glad I did. Might be the last time we see these guys together, but who knows? Onto the review:

The Mayor of Grand Rapids claimed yesterday Van Halen Day, and renamed the Van Andel Arena, the Van Halen Arena, which got the buzz going all day long. However, when we got to the arena it was pretty dead, not much excitement. There were also quite a few seats left, far from a sell out. No problem, we scored 7th row seats pretty cheap, and in we went.

The band played their basic setlist, which is very good, with no surprises or changes. I was very happy to see Eddie looking and playing great. He was smiling and having fun and his guitar work was fantastic. It's the best I've seen him since the Balance tour. (I saw the 2004 tour and his playing was horrible then, and he did not look good). He didn't move around much, pretty much stood in front of the drum riser most of the night. I also noticed that he played his yellow guitar most of the night, bringing out the red-white stripe guitar once, and the yellow-black guitar once. I forget which songs he switched on. It seems in the past he played more of a variety of guitars during the night?

Al was solid all night, and Wolfie is obviously very talented. He makes it look easy like his Dad. It was obvious that Eddie was happy being on stage with his son, and what Dad wouldn't be? The 3 of them sounded very tight. That being said, I sure wish Mikey was there.

As for Dave, well, I'm sorry but he just doesn't have it anymore. He tried, I will give him an A for effort. He strutted around and smiled and looked good, although a little clumsy, but his singing was off-key and pretty bad all night. He had a couple of good moments, as mentioned above, his intro into Ice Cream Man was pretty funny, and he showed he was human when he forgot some of the words during Panama. He looked like a clown in his pink and black glitter pants, but I expected that. As I said, the effort was good.

My only complaints were that there was no improvising or set list changes, though the Crossroads things was cool. With Bo Diddley's death yesterday, I was hoping Eddie would give him a little tribute, but he didn't. It was pretty much the same guitar solo that he has done for 20+ years.

Overall the night was great, I'm glad I went.
    JC

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Who's Van Halen?
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

06.04.08 @ 07:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Totally different Concert!

All I can say is "FRUCKING AMAZING".

I'll start with saying that as a guitar builder who has had more than his share of "run-ins" with Tracy Taub (Ed's attorney) and plenty of people on Fender's legal team. I had it in for Ed on this tour. It kind of made me chuckle and gave me a "bitter-sweet revenge" to see Ed struggle at the PONTIAC SHOW last October. At the pontiac show he was a washed up, rock star has been. I was sure he was on drugs. I watched him forget half of his music while his fingers stumbled across the fretboard. I was in the 9th row of the "Pit" at that show and had to laugh through a majority of the show.

>>>>>>>FAST FORWARD TO LAST NIGHT'S GRAND RAPIDS SHOW>>>>>>>

OH MY GOD! The show was kick a$$!!! Eddie made "less than zero" mistakes. He looked clean. He looked very sober. More important with every single note he played, he reminded me why I worshiped him for 20+ years of guitar playing. I don't know if he's ever been better than he was last night. I've seen him on a lot of tours, and this took the cake.

I doubt Ed takes the time read these, but if you do.....THANK YOU FOR SUMMING UP ALL THE INSPIRATION YOU'VE OFFERED GUITAR PLAYERS EVERYWHERE IN ONE NIGHT OF INCREDIBLE GUITAR PLAYING!!!!

The rest of the show......AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!! Dave was awesome. His antics never got "over the top". He'd push right to the limit and then come back down to start it all over again.

Wolfie.......I've got nothing but respect for you at this point. I thought he held his own in pontiac, but in GR he was awesome. Vocals were top notch. Playing was creative and energetic.

Alex....great show! The drum solo definately lost it's steam for me, but I'm not a drummer. He drove every song from beginning to end. Alex was the only reason that "Jump" didn't train wreck. Eddie, Wolfie, and Dave rushed the tempo quite a bit and would actually get away from the keyboard track, but Alex brought 'em back every time.

All in all, I sure hope it isn't the last we hear of "The new Van Halen", but if it is........WHAT A WAY TO GO! Quite possibly the greatest show of all time.

Thank you again.

Chris Taggart

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Who's Van Halen?
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

06.04.08 @ 07:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pictures....

This is from my iphone. I will post all the others on my site.

Chris

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Great show, the mix was great, I was very surprised.

I pulled a good recording as well. More to come later.

I should add that Ryan Shaw has one hell of a voice.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Wolfgang looks like he's rockin' out in that pic. (Hey, it's kindof a review...)

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

That's a tuffy
    Last Online

06.22.08 @ 01:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I was there, and it was FANTASTIC

I was in attendance in Grand Rapids last night for the "last" show. Our seats were on the floor dead-dead center, row 27. But, there might have well not been any seats, as everyone was on their feet rockin hard for EVERY second of this show.

I'm dog tired right now and on very little sleep so this review will be a quick overview, but I'll summarize by saying.......

OHH MY GODDDD!

They were absolutely fantastic. It was VERY apparent that the guys were having a great time together as was easy to see. Eddy was welding the rafters together in the arena with his hot hands, and Dave was on top of his game as Cock of the Walk, Carnival Barker Extraordinaire. His audience banter and attempts to pick up every hot broad in the place were just as I had remembered.

I'll try to give a more detailed review with some pics after I get some sleep.

The electricity in the crowd was very high, and afterwords, everyone there was saying how completely overwhelmed and above their expectations this performance was.

From my seat, the overall sound, performance, effort and execution get an A+ from me. One of the best concerts I've ever attended, and probably THE best in terms of overall fun and showmanship, and not to brag, but I've seen some pretty awesome monster shows over the years, from Pink Floyd to Elvis Presley, and quite a few others in between.

The friends and folks I've talked to about the show were all blown away by it.

Bravo Van Halen, Bravo.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hvista View Post
    The band played their basic setlist, which is very good, with no surprises or changes. I was very happy to see Eddie looking and playing great. He was smiling and having fun and his guitar work was fantastic. It's the best I've seen him since the Balance tour. (I saw the 2004 tour and his playing was horrible then, and he did not look good). He didn't move around much, pretty much stood in front of the drum riser most of the night. I also noticed that he played his yellow guitar most of the night, bringing out the red-white stripe guitar once, and the yellow-black guitar once. I forget which songs he switched on. It seems in the past he played more of a variety of guitars during the night?

Al was solid all night, and Wolfie is obviously very talented. He makes it look easy like his Dad. It was obvious that Eddie was happy being on stage with his son, and what Dad wouldn't be? The 3 of them sounded very tight. That being said, I sure wish Mikey was there.

As for Dave, well, I'm sorry but he just doesn't have it anymore. He tried, I will give him an A for effort. He strutted around and smiled and looked good, although a little clumsy, but his singing was off-key and pretty bad all night. He had a couple of good moments, as mentioned above, his intro into Ice Cream Man was pretty funny, and he showed he was human when he forgot some of the words during Panama. He looked like a clown in his pink and black glitter pants, but I expected that. As I said, the effort was good.

My only complaints were that there was no improvising or set list changes, though the Crossroads things was cool. With Bo Diddley's death yesterday, I was hoping Eddie would give him a little tribute, but he didn't. It was pretty much the same guitar solo that he has done for 20+ years.

Overall the night was great, I'm glad I went.
    JC
    I agree with hvista's review.

Eddie was spot on last night. He sounded better than he did in October in Detroit. His playing was EXCELLENT. The best I've seen in years.

Dave's voice was definitely worn down. You could tell it was the end of the tour. Dave sounded great in October. But 8 months later, his voice was pretty harsh. I give the guy massive props for touring as long as he did. And he gave 100% effort during the show. His voice was just kind of gone after all these months of touring.

I too wished they would have done a little something special seeing as it was the last night of the show. But alas, they didn't. It also seemed like Eddie's guitar solo was shorter than normal. Sure, he did the standard "Eruption" & "Cathedral", but he didn't improvise as much as he has in the past. I've seen Van Halen in concert 10 times in my life and this seemed like his shortest solo ever. With that said, it was virtually flawless. He really was "on" last night. It was great seeing Eddie in all his guitar glory.

All in all, I'm glad I went. Seeing as this very well could be their last concert ever (God, I hope not), I'm glad I made the 2 1/2 hour drive to see them again. Damn good show.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Okay, here's my little summary now that I have a moment to collect my thoughts.

From Royal Oak, it took under two hours to get there, we went between 80-90 on 96W. Our hotel was awful, it was the hotel from hell basically (America's Best Inn). The road construction sucked too, and it made getting dinner (Wendy's) tougher than it should have been.

We left for downtown around 6:45 and got there around 7 and parked in the garage across the street. I decided not to bring my camera as I didn't want to run the risk of being a standout with recording gear in my crotch.

Made it through with ease, just scanned the ticket and I was on my merry way. Our seats were in 228, second to last row, dead center but the view was still great (since Van Andel is pretty medium-sized).

Ryan Shaw started at 7:45 and DAMN that kid has some GREAT pipes. Wow. I really enjoyed his set, too, he was very humble and had a great soulful voice, I'm really glad I recorded his opening set too. I encourage you all to give his CD a listen.

The blimps did the rounds and the smoke kept on coming. The arena was getting very full (date change, economy, Red Wings, etc.).

The lights went out at 8:44 and VH hit the stage a few seconds after. The mix was EXCELLENT. Very balanced levels and finally the presence of a bass drum and not just snare. The band was very energetic, pretty solid, but a little sloppy at some parts.

Of the three shows I saw, this was by far the best one. "Romeo Delight" ran about 8 minutes and Dave sounded like an angry stalker in some of his ad libs mentioning coming down the road in an old bus like "Little Miss Sunshine." Yes, he mentioned the movie.

Most of the songs were solid, Wolf/Ed couldn't harmonize for shit during the "Dance the Night Away" breakdown, that's what happens I guess when your pre-recorded backing vocals aren't in that spot. On that topic, they had a slight mis-cue on "Runnin' with the Devil" with their pre-recorded backing vocals--they were a split-second late and plain as day I heard "RUNNIN."

Dave/Ed did an extended motorcylcle jam and Dave even started ad libbing like this "Here I come. Here I come, baby. I'm comin' for you. I'm chopped, dropped, juiced, and loose. Yo, mamma and I'm comin' right to the front door of yo FUCKIN condo. Knock, knock, knock, three times it's David Lee and I'm here for the show."

Before "So This Is Love?" Dave introduced Wolf like normal but gave him props for a job well done on the entire tour and the crowd went apeshit while I shook my head.

"Hot For Teacher" fucking SMOKED. It was the best song all night. Pure energy and Dave was shooting his mouth off like a loose cannon, I loved it.

Everything else was the norm, nothing really special.

All in all, I'd give the sound an A+ and the performance an A/A-.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ineedalogin View Post
    It also seemed like Eddie's guitar solo was shorter than normal. Sure, he did the standard "Eruption" & "Cathedral", but he didn't improvise as much as he has in the past. I've seen Van Halen in concert 10 times in my life and this seemed like his shortest solo ever.
    No more bathroom breaks?

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts