Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Default EVH on playing, touring & the possibility of new music (courtesy of eddietrunk.com)

30-May-08

Eddie Van Halen On Playing, Touring And The Possibility Of New Music

Brian Hiatt of Rolling Stone magazine interviewed guitar God Eddie Van Halen. Here's what he had to say:

RS: How did you start playing guitar?

EVH: My brother and I were forced to take piano lessons, and it wasn't fun for me. I heard music in my head, but I wasn't allowed to play it. Then I bought myself a drum kit, and somehow my mom convinced my brother Alex to take flamenco-guitar lessons. I had a paper route to pay for the drum kit, and while I was out throwing papers, Alex got better than me on the drums, so I said, "OK, fuck you. I'll play your guitar."

RS: What were the first songs you learned to play?

EVH: The Ventures: "Pipeline," "Wipe Out," that kind of stuff. My brother and I loved Dave Clark Five, but they weren't really a guitar-oriented band. The first time I turned an amp all the way to 10 and it distorted, I went, "Yeeeah! This is fun."

RS: You ended up covering another Sixties classic, the Kinks' "You Really Got Me," on your first album.

EVH: At our shows, we used to do that and "All Day and All of the Night" and, you know, just a bunch of old, semi-obscure rock tunes. I always liked taking old songs and turning a prop plane into a jet plane. To me, that's what "You Really Got Me" sounds like. Ours is like whooosh [laughs].

RS: How important were the Kinks for you?

EVH: I just like songs. I don't mean to sound like a prick or nothin,' but I've never really been that much of a fan of bands outside of Cream. And I don't really listen to anything nowadays. The last record I might've bought was Peter Gabriel's "So." With Cream, I was more a fan of their interaction live. You know, they were an example of "What's the difference between jazz and rock & roll? We just play louder." That's all. We get 12 notes. Do what the fuck you want with 'em, you know?

RS: Your biggest innovation was two-handed tapping using both hands to fret notes simultaneously. Where did you get the idea?

EVH: I was watching Jimmy Page going [sings hammering guitar lick], like that, with one hand, in "Heartbreaker." I thought, "I can play like that, and you wouldn't know if I was using this finger [points to left hand] or this one" [points to right hand]. But you just kind of move it around, and it's like, "You got one big hand there, buddy. That's a hell of a spread!"

RS: It became the most imitated sound in hard rock.

EVH: Well, don't blame me. It's not my fault. The tapping had been part of my playing since about '72. Early on, my brother told me to turn around onstage so no one could see what I was doing until we had a record out.

RS: Did people think that you were a guitar player from Mars or something?

EVH: I remember a long time ago we were playing and someone told us "A&M Records is here to see you guys." And it was Herb Alpert. I met him years ago later and he came up to me. He goes, "One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was passing on you guys." I'm going, "I remember exactly what you said, too. You said the guitarist is too psychedelic and too much uncontrolled energy." I asked him why? He goes, "I didn't understand what the hell you were doing 'cause it was so unorthodox." It didn't make any sense to him.

RS: Was "Eruption" a piece that developed in concert over the years?

EVH: No, no, no. We recorded our first record on Sunset Sound in Hollywood, and we were warming up for a weekend gig at the Whisky. And I was just rehearsing, and [engineer] Donn Landee happened to record it. It was never planned to be on the record. So the take on the record was a total freak thing. It was just an accident. He happened to be rolling tape.

RS: Your rhythm-guitar playing is underrated.

EVH: Real musicians actually respect me more for my rhythm-guitar playing than my soloing. 'Cause soloing is almost like pissin' up a rope, showing off unless you're truly improvising off the melody of a song. But I'm actually a very rhythmic player, 'cause I'm the only guitarist in the band, so I've gotta cover both.

I've always been a true believer that music should hold up without singing on it. You know, listen to Beethoven, you know. There's no singing on it.

RS: Has anyone taken the electric guitar further than you did with Van Halen?

EVH: That's hard to say. Especially nowadays with all the effects and Pro Tools and all this and that. You don't know what's what anymore.

RS: You've been writing new music for a while?

EVH: Yeah, I haven't written much lately because we've been on tour. I got thousands of tapes laying around, but one of these years I've got to go through 'em, see what lurks. I think a lot of them will surprise you, everything from mellow stuff to kind of weird shit. I'm always experimenting with sounds.

RS: Are you going to record?

EVH: Yeah. We'll cross that bridge when this tour is over.

RS: How would you imagine the next few years for Van Halen?

EVH: I don't really make plans. I don't know. This tour takes us to June 2nd. We'll probably take a little break and then sit down and discuss what we want to do. But it's always based around music.

RS: How have you managed to sustain the tour this time?

EVH: It's a way of life, you know? It's just kind of inherently built in. It's the only thing I know how to do. [Laughs] I guess the songs we write stand the test of time, so to speak.

RS: And you're getting along on a personal basis?

EVH: Oh, yeah. We always really have. To me it seems like the press made more of a stink out of shit than we actually did. 'Cause everybody kind of parts ways and tries to find their own niche, you know, or whatever, but no hurt feelings about anything.

source: RollingStone.com taken from Issue 1054-June 15th, 2008
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Ed's Future Ex-Wife
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.06.08 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good interview- Ed really hasn't convinced me of anything though. As always with the mighty VH, it'll happen (if and) when it happens....
    Stay strong, Edward!

Last Online

04.24.10 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaVH View Post
    Good interview- Ed really hasn't convinced me of anything though. As always with the mighty VH, it'll happen (if and) when it happens....
    /agree. His last point of saying they have always really got along, and that the drama and stuff is from the media types is BS. He has to say it that way now, but is doesn't change all the crap that has been slung between these guys. I still hope for some new music (in spite of how negative my comment may have sounded, heh), and hope that they get MA back as well. /pray for at least one

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Except for the last 4 questions I haven't read anything that hasn't been printed 10, 15 or even 30 years ago.

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Wow: he said he has tons of music recorded on tapes....

THAT'S EXCITING
    Be ready for my new amp "III OSIS" produced by H^3 in stores soon [that was funny in 2006]

http://myspace.com/danielbacic ...actually not anymore

www.bacic-tech.com ...gone
    www.viba-sas.it ...website of my old company... gone.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    Wow: he said he has tons of music recorded on tapes....

THAT'S EXCITING

Lol....Oh! I know it's so exciting (yeah, right )!! I'm sure Ed does have tons of music recorded, but how many years is it Ed's been claiming this now? It makes you wonder if we'll ever get to hear any of it.

Ed, dear, don't ya know that's like waving a candy bar in front of a kids face goin "Ya want it......I'm not sure if I'll give it to you or not".

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Ed, dear, don't ya know that's like waving a candy bar in front of a kids face goin "Ya want it......I'm not sure if I'll give it to you or not".
    I have to admit that, if I were Ed and knew full well that III went over like a lead ballon, I would not be in any great hurry to have my work attacked again.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I have to admit that, if I were Ed and knew full well that III went over like a lead ballon, I would not be in any great hurry to have my work attacked again.

Well sure, I can understand that. I don't know, maybe Ed needs to have more confidence in himself. After all, we are all our own worst critics.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained-Hear about it later
    Last Online

02.20.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Only one thing you can get out of an Ed interview... Confused

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tito5150 View Post
    Only one thing you can get out of an Ed interview... Confused
    True, but don't you kinda like it?

Gotta love that Eddie Van Halen!!!

Favorite VH Album

Yeah boooooooy
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah boooooooy
    Last Online

04.23.14 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could have written the answers in to all of that myself. Nothing new to see here.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5150 View Post
    30-May-08

RS: And you're getting along on a personal basis?

EVH: Oh, yeah. We always really have. To me it seems like the press made more of a stink out of shit than we actually did. 'Cause everybody kind of parts ways and tries to find their own niche, you know, or whatever, but no hurt feelings about anything.

source: RollingStone.com taken from Issue 1054-June 15th, 2008

I wonder if he'll be saying the same thing about Mike and Sammy if a few years...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought it was interesting that A&M passed on Van Halen. Had not heard that one before.

Chucker
    Last edited by chucker5150; 06.02.08 at 11:56 AM.
    "Edward is playing like a motherfucker tonight!" - DLR 10/03/2007

"Now remember, these are youtube video clips so don't expect it to look like "Star Wars" on your 70 inch plasma tv." - Hain23x

"If you want to be a true artist, then make your music and don't even release it." - EVH 1995

"Forward Movement. Not to accomplish anything in particular because that would suggest an end. It's the doing I crave." - DLR 1981

"Panty-Bra! Panty-Bra-ha, oh, oh, oh, oh!" - A friend's childhood interpretation of "Panama."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.30.08 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Definitely some new tasty material in the fills

...so i went to 7 shows of this latest tour. It just kept getting better and better playing wise, you can tell that they upped the ante for the DVD taped shows.

So, new material? you got it already! maybe not new songs, but to me so much about what defines vh music is not only the songs but the stuff in between (fills, licks, etc) that speaks to the real ferocity and fun of this band.

great example: last MSG show DTNA awesome fillwork there. i've listened to millions of live takes of this, and never heard these in there...they were SMOKIN!

so when we get the DVD we'll have some new stuff till we get the new album and bury nu metal.

folks have fun and god bless the fact that you live in the era of a modern day picasso, mozart whoever...
    :sKoOdA

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 552 Times in 384 Posts

Well if Friday night at All State was any indication, Van Halen is far from done.

As long as EVH can stay sober, i think well get an album.