Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6505 tones

Last Online

03.15.11 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

6505 tones

Ok i was given a budget for my first ever tube amp. One of them is the 6505 combo and I was wondering if it's possible to get like ACDC type tones from it or if it's just a face melter type amp? All the reviews are for the crushing gain it offers....is it the same as the 5150 and or what has changed?? If it doesnt pertain to the classic rock players then i think I will go with a Marshall Vintage Modern. What do you guys think?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think if the 6505 is anything like the 5150, and you want that rough raw ACDC tone, buy the Marshall. I have a 5150 and the best way to describe the sound is 'not as close or clear' as a marshall sound.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the distortion on the 5150/6505 is dependent on how much you up the pre-gain knob.

if you want angus young tone id use the rythmn channel with the pre on 4 or5 and pump up the post gain knob. you can get close.

the 5150 can have versitile distortion if you play with the pre AND post gain knobs and the tone knobs.

if you want it dead on then get a gibson sg and a late 60s marshall plexi head.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Halen_Fanatic View Post
    Ok i was given a budget for my first ever tube amp. One of them is the 6505 combo and I was wondering if it's possible to get like ACDC type tones from it or if it's just a face melter type amp? All the reviews are for the crushing gain it offers....is it the same as the 5150 and or what has changed?? If it doesnt pertain to the classic rock players then i think I will go with a Marshall Vintage Modern. What do you guys think?
    The 6505 is a 5150II. I have a 5150II and I love it. I can get it to do what I want. I have a Soldano and my dads old Marshall and I choose this over them any day of the week. Its got a shitload of gain but the tone is amazing. Makes all the right sounds.
    Last edited by fudd; 05.30.08 at 11:55 PM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, a lot of people like to push the gain on the 5150/6505 and I leave mine at 5. I beleive at above 6 the gain is un useable, but 5 and below is good. You can get some great tones from a 5150. I get a pretty good live without a net tone with my shitty Digitech RP3, with it set on micro pitch shift up 6 cents out of tune with a little reverb. I like it.

It's no wet dry wet with the Eventide H 949's and stereo detune, but it does the job.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Despite being most commonly known for gain, the 5150/6505 is quite versatile--especially the 2x12 combo.

The 5150s do indeed have a tone of gain, yes. But the clean channel on the combo offers some other nice options--'Crunch' (kind of a "Channel 2") and 'Bright," the high gain and low gain inputs, pre-gain, and resonance and presence controls. When used in different combinations--and especially with different guitars--you can carve out sounds vintage and modern. Just the other day I miked up my combo to record an overdub part on a song that required something bright, only slightly dirty, and almost "British." I opted to play a Wolfgang with DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups using the coil tap. I had extremely bright, crisp tone, but it still had a distinctive single coil sound--very Tele-through-a-Fender like. With the settings I was using, simply pushing the pre-gain up put me into vintage Marshall type tones. EVH and Peavey worked to make the clean channel on the 5150 combo better than the original head, and they did indeed succeed.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

I've discovered my 5150 combo is much more versitile than I had given it credit for in the past. The way I recommend running it is on the crunch channel with the gain no higher than 6, with an overdrive pedal in front of it. Plug into the Low Gain input. If you take the gain on the crunch channel down to 4.5, turn the presence to about 5 and the resonance to about 6 and the treble to about 4, you should be able to get a real nice AC/DC type tone, if you use something like a Boss Super Overdrive in front of it.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I've discovered my 5150 combo is much more versitile than I had given it credit for in the past. The way I recommend running it is on the crunch channel with the gain no higher than 6, with an overdrive pedal in front of it. Plug into the Low Gain input. If you take the gain on the crunch channel down to 4.5, turn the presence to about 5 and the resonance to about 6 and the treble to about 4, you should be able to get a real nice AC/DC type tone, if you use something like a Boss Super Overdrive in front of it.
    Good point... I've had a lot of luck running overdrive/distortion pedals through the clean channel of the 5150s, and there's a lot of diversity to be found there as well.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

heh , funny i was going to mention that i have the buckethead dvd "secret recipe" and from 1991 to 2000 buckethead is filmed using a 5150 head thru a marshall cab
    BUT what i saw was that he was using a few differnt distortion pedals for his lead tones and thrash metal tones and using the rythmn channel for the fast finger picking stuff.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

My problem was, when I first owned a 5150, I tried going to different websites and forums to find out what Eddie's settings were and set my amp to that. I just got locked into trying to make the amp sound like Eddie instead of really trying to explore the tonal diversity of the amplifier itself. When I got my second 5150, after going through a couple Mesas and a Budda, I thought I would just try a different approach, and try to find my own tone instead of trying to nail a VH tone. Oddly enough, through me experimenting, I've actually probably gotten closer to Eddie's tone than I ever did before.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 5150 is easy to make sound like an over gainy pos, but if you keep the gain to around 5 in the lead channel, let the amp breath by pushing the eq up, you can get a real nice tone. I dont know why, but I like keeping the presence at about 9 because it cuts through the mix so well.

On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    The 6505 is a 5150II. I have a 5150II and I love it. I can get it to do what I want. I have a Soldano and my dads old Marshall and I choose this over them any day of the week. Its got a shitload of gain but the tone is amazing. Makes all the right sounds.

6505=5150
    6505 plus=5150 II

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My problem was, when I first owned a 5150, I tried going to different websites and forums to find out what Eddie's settings were and set my amp to that. I just got locked into trying to make the amp sound like Eddie instead of really trying to explore the tonal diversity of the amplifier itself. When I got my second 5150, after going through a couple Mesas and a Budda, I thought I would just try a different approach, and try to find my own tone instead of trying to nail a VH tone. Oddly enough, through me experimenting, I've actually probably gotten closer to Eddie's tone than I ever did before.
    If anyone is interested, I have the 5150 and 5150II manuals in PDF formats I can email to you if interested. It has recommended settings and "signature" settings in them.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:17 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I've discovered my 5150 combo is much more versitile than I had given it credit for in the past. The way I recommend running it is on the crunch channel with the gain no higher than 6, with an overdrive pedal in front of it. Plug into the Low Gain input...
    I use a THD Hotplate instead of an overdrive pedal, but agree about the versatility. It took a lot of experimenting to get the tones right because the amp is sensitive to slight changes on the knobs. For example, increasing the pre-gain from 5 to 6 results in a huge change in tone.

The 5150/6505 should be on everyone's short list!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WoW, I'm really surprised to hear you guys are setting your pre-gain as high as "5" on the 5150. Even at low volumes, I can't go past "3" without it either sounding like mush or a buzz-saw (depending on your "presence" and "resonance" settings).

I'm running a 5150 sig. head with (2) Marshall cabinets, so I'm guessing that may be alot different than the combo (?), I dunno.

If I were going for an "AC/DC" tone and didn't already have my 5150, I'd definately go for a Marshall. You can probably get "close" with a 5150, but Marshalls just have a unique tone all of their own IMO.