Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars and Dreams
    Last Online

07.25.15 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Default Fantastic

I can't believe I am first to post a review on this show. I had the chance to digest what I have just seen (along with about 15 chicken wings at Hooters) and I have to say I was impressed. I was in the exact same seat and section (company has a box) as I was at the October Show and this show was MUCH better.

Eddie was awesome, right on with everything he did. He definately did not move around as much as he did last time around at the Allstate and UC, but his playing was awesome... His solo was tight and to the point, no messing around. Did he use the drill last time he was here? I may have just completely missed that before, but I saw it tonight. I apologize if this is old news, I never noticed it before.

Alex was Alex. He was awesome, his solo is a little too long, but awesome as always.

Wolfgang was good too. You may miss Mike, but the kid is good and does a great job.

Dave. What can we say about Dave that has not been said a thousand times. He did look much more comfortable tonight then he did last time at the Allstate. He did a little rap during a song (which was cool), his singing seemed to mirror the singing of old (a little more "Dave" touches on songs), and some different props (I have never seen the white sunglasses before).

It seem as though they were filming again, but nothing was said during the show. There were several extra mics on Ed's (well, before he moved to the center of the stage) side and there was also camera crews walking through the crowd taking reaction shots. Hopefully this is good news.

Anyways....Overall, the show was fantastic. I feel blessed that as a VH fan and only 28 years old I have had the chance to see them live with Dave, Sammy, and Gary. If tonight should happen to be the last I see of them in person (I sure hope not), I am extremely thankful for the opportunities I have had. Long, live VH.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.21.12 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow! I hope they recorded this show.

Everything was so on it was unbelievable.

The show was a sellout.

we were row 13 on the floor. The sound and view were spectacular.

I can't wait for the DVD. I hope it is a blu-ray.

...more later...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.31.08 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kansas666 View Post

The show was a sellout.

...more later...
    the show was not close to a sellout. I was in 215 us and the corner section next to our section were both told by security to go ahead and move down to fill thoe closer seats that were empty if we wanted to. I saw them at the UC in october and the sound was way better this time, the UC was good but louder and more echo-y. this was much cleaner. great show. dave did a different much shorter intro to ice cream man this time than the UC. That and there was way more hot young chicks this time that at the UC. More cougars at the UC.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1, and Balance.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being.
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kansas666 View Post

The show was a sellout.

...more later...
    Blu Ray would be stellar, however they should release on DVD and Blu Ray that way everyone can enjoy the disc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I flew up from Dallas for the show. My 3rd of the tour. Caught the Cubs game at Wrigley - great comeback win and great ballpark. Then pizza at Geno's East. And of course the show. Eddie's solo was better than anything I have seen on this tour. Absolutely amazing. Hate to see this tour end. I am praying that they at least try to go into the studio and give it a shot. They sound so good right now together.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

Stellar!

I took a friend from work to the show last night. His first word after the show was "unbelievable." I agreed. This show was much tighter than the October show as someone mentioned. The place was pretty packed(sell out or not). That is pretty good considering non-existent press and all the postponed dates. Many people were probably put off. Hindsight, I wish I had waited until the last minute. I might have scored really good seats. My seats were pretty good. Main floor all the way in the back, but I would have liked to have been much closer. Who knows if I'll ever have another chance to see them. Ryan Shaw was all over the place. My friend commented that he needs to "find" himself and I agreed with him. He started off bluesy and I was diggin it, but then he went all over the map. The last time my friend went to see VH was on the FUCK tour. He had never seen VH with Roth. He was blown away. However, he thinks that Dave can't sing, but that it didn't matter. He got what VH with Roth was about. The "show." For myself, I thought Dave sounded pretty darn good. Especially, considering he has sounded bad for several years. I am a happy man that I have now seen Dave with Al and Ed. 3/4 ain't bad.
    What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 846 Times in 395 Posts

Premium Member

Default 10

Just got back from Chicago. I'll give a better review tomorrow cus I'm tired as hell. I keep thinking of Henry Rollins talking about Dave-era VH in that VH1 special. He was saying something to the effect: 'it's a 10. The music, the stage, the lighting, the production; it's a stellar production.' These guys really know how to put on a show. I believe that there were empty seats, I just didn't see any. I didn't see anybody sit down either, at least around us. Incredible fucking show.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.31.08 @ 07:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I kinda got the feeling that this was a last farewell, I hope not...

I must say I was so happy to be able to realise a dream of nearly 25 years of seeing Dave, Alex and Eddie on stage (Wolfie is good, but Mike would have been tremendous).

I hail from Glasgow in Scotland and was in New Jersey on business, and thought what the hey, jump a plane to Chicago and see my heroes! Once in a lifetime and all that...

I was late for the gig following a nightmare delayed flight , a really dodgy taxi journey (before and after the show), but I digress...

The show was everything I hoped it would be, and more... I've seen Dave a few times when he toured on his own, but this one was really the next next level... The sound was amazing, the lights and screens were great, the crowd was so hyped for it too so all in a truly awesome experience... Now, if only they'd pay attention to my petition to play Europe!!!

Laters...

p.s. the Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel smells bad

Favorite VH Album

Balance/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being/Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts

Incredible.

Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

humans being
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as with every one else here I'm Van Halen's #1 fan. I've loved the band since hearing the opening minutes on a brand new album called Van Halen. Anyway..
    The Chicago show was perfectly executed by the band. Edward was very precise, Alex was indeed Alex, and Dave was what we've come to know Dave to be. Like I said the show was performed with no problems. The only thing about it is it is NOT the Van Halen I grew up with. It's not the UNFU#$KING unbelievable MIGHTY Van Halen that is preserved in the footage from say the US Festival etc. It was a great rendition of a nostalgic act. That's how I see it. I feel sorry for those of us who never had the chance to see them back in the day, this can't compare. I'm not slamming the show(like I said they played together with no problems) but it's uncomparable. Funny when Sammy came back in 04 I didn't have the nostalgic vibe, it was more of a picking up where they left off. I know I run the risk of getting slammed but why would I be a sheep if it's not how I see it? and WHERES Mikey?? Yeah it was cool to see Wolfie come out during Edward's solo back in 04 but to take over on bass for a seasoned vet like Michael Anthony? Come on, that detracted from the reunited VH in a BIG way. Wolfie being in Van Halen (for any other reason than his last name) really detracted from the MIGHTY VH. I'm sure his natural talents will make him a force to be reckoned with when he's old enough but come on...
    Good show but like I said this wasn't the MIGHTY Van Halen...
    Last edited by RayBan; 06.01.08 at 07:23 AM.
    "And the Cradle will Rock!"

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.30.08 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rayban - You have the option of seeing the "other half" on tour this year and not seeing the NEW band van halen on this current tour which is about to end. This isn't a reunion it's a new band...repeat that to yourself about 10,000 times and you'll start to forget about former bass player.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 846 Times in 395 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

I won't go on and on about the show itself. You guys know as well as I do that they, like most bands, are pretty methodical and predictable. I want to say a thing or two about the vibe and the atmosphere. My wife took a day off of work and we set out about 9 am for Chicago. Just the road trip itself with the anticipation of seeing Van Halen is such a kick ass break from reality. Got to the hotel, walked down to the arena to check out how far it was etc...Back to the room about 4:00, started drinking, got cleaned up and headed to Shoeless Joe's, restaurant/bar connected to our hotel. Place was insanely packed by 5:00. Met people from Chicago, Minnesota, and Lafyette, IN. Great vibe, energy was high. Beers everywhere, they played a bunch of VH songs on their system. Head to the show, grabs some drinks, kick ass seats. Sec 110 Row J seats 1 and 2. Right on the aisle, furthest to the right on Ed's side. Awesome seats. Allstate was packed, crowd was way into it. Enery/excitement level was high all night. Road trip, beers, meeting VH fans from all over, bought the white shirt with the '82 lion with sunglasses by the way, great show, Ed's basically perfect, Dave is more Dave-like in St. Louis and Chicago than he was in Charlotte and KC; the whole experience was cool. We had a great time. Thanks Ed, Dave, Wolf and Al.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.07.14 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was my 4th and final show of the tour. I thought it was better than the other 3. I saw them the first 2 times around in Chi-town and in Milwaukee. They were tight and sounded great. The place was damn near sold out. I was in sec 215 and had a view of the whole place. Not many empty seats. Not too bad for a 3rd area show and a re-schedule. I do believe they need new material and Mikey for it to be even more in demand. I do not agree with another review that tried to paint this as nostalgia but the 04' tour was picking up where they left off. I think both are reunion tours. Difference is no Mikey this time. VH can and should make a new record ASAP. I hear from RS magazine they might be according to Eddie. Hopefully this isn't more smoke being blown.

Camera crews were walking the aisles filming the audience reaction. The audience was really into it and they were chanting Eddie's name. I think Eddie was playing as well as well as yesteryear at this show. Sober Eddie meshed well with Dave's antics. They all seem to be enjoying themselves. We got Crossroads during the middle of SGMAD. Setlist was the same. This setlist would be make a phenomenal greatest hits disc.

I am anxious for a live DVD or cd of this tour. Let's hope this isn't the last we hear from VH.
    "Great Things Like This Only Happen For The First Time Once..." Gary Busey

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jammaster View Post
    Rayban - You have the option of seeing the "other half" on tour this year and not seeing the NEW band van halen on this current tour which is about to end. This isn't a reunion it's a new band...repeat that to yourself about 10,000 times and you'll start to forget about former bass player.
    I apoligize to management as I know this is supposed to be reviews only...

Why then, is this NEW band covering all those songs by that OLD band? You cannot possibly be a fan if you think that this tour is better without Mike. Yeah, I went to the St. Louis show and had a great time, but to see all four original members playing the OLD songs would have been that much better.

Dumbest post ever.