Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Is there hope for rock music? re: billboard #1 and youtube featured music video

Ladies and Gents,
    It seems to me rock music and guitar playing are at a very boring point. There is no new interesting, exciting, or innovative guitar driven music coming out, and lets face it, a lot of people here are fans of guitar driven music. Just a few power/barre chords does not cut it, imagine sitting down at a piano all by its self and playing one chord for a few seconds....then playing another...then playing the first...and over again. That would sound pretty boring wouldn’t it? Now play Panama or some other guitar driven song. There will actually be melody...someone could just sit there and listen. These 2 chord guitar parts only sound good with bass, drums, and most importantly, vocals. The bass and drums are rhythm, pretty much just percussive, in role. The vocals are way out front and are about something we have already heard 10,000 times. And then people talk about how smart and insightful they are. Now Van Halen never had very cerebral lyrics but they never claimed to be. And then these people talk about how stupid VH lyrics are. OK, thought I love Van Hagar, maybe Sammy stuff was pretty mindless, but at least Dave's lyrics were witty, and certainly took more intellect to write than this Pork and Beans song I link to. Which is ironic...CVH lyrics appear appears mindless, but there is actually intellect. This crap comes across as smart...but its just the same stuff being regurgitated up, eaten off the floor, and puked up again. Anybody here have a dog? Once they puke, they eat it off the floor. Thats the IQ we are talking about.

The 90's and 00's with the whole alternative thing have just been lazy for guitar/music. Though I do like Curt Cobains stuff, he, like EVH, was an amazing rhythm guitar player. But where is the guitar driven music? By guitar driven I mean music driven. Like I said about the piano thing above...music should have notes, something you can hum. And if its not musical than its not music, its just a beat with....(mindless words?).

Yeah, there is metal which is guitar driven, but all the stuff I've heard sounds the same. Am I wrong here? Are there good guitar bands now that I dont know about? VH is my favorite band but I need something else to listen to...can anyone tell me whats out there thats really guitar based and musical?

Let me make one more note. Just to be good musically the guitar doesnt have to be really fast or hard to play. In the immigrant song, the main riff is just 2 notes, but the song is still a killer fuckin boogie. I'm trying to say is that by guitar driven I dont mean cheap shiny beads (really fast playing that leaves no feel), but something that has the great rhythm and feel along with the impressive solos. If you don’t have rhythm/melody/swing/boogie/groove, you dont have anything. What use is a Ferrari F150 without the simplest goddamn thing in the world, the fucking wheels?

Am I making any sense here? Do you guy like it better when I post the goofy non serious threads? Did I leave the oven on?

Speak to me.

Last edited by VF5150; 05.29.08 at 12:58 AM.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,292 Times in 3,165 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

No. We're fucked.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 846 Times in 395 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

I think music in general today sucks. That's why I enthusiastically live in the past musically.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I think music in general today sucks. That's why I enthusiastically live in the past musically.

Regarding rock music, I live enthusiastically in the past as well, but I do like some pop that's out there today. For instance, I LOVE all of Gwen Stefani's music, and I love "Sexy Back" (yeah, yeah, I know ).

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Most of the newer rock stuff just doesn't do a thing for me. The newest album on my iPod is Leppard's Sparkle Lounge, couldn't even tell you who the newest artist is.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    where Conan O'Brien is no longer president, a.k.a. Finland
    Favorite VH Album

All of them.
    Favorite VH Song

As Is.
    Last Online

10.03.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out the Hellacoptersī (a swedish band) older material. That's good old rock n roll. Though they have officially called it quits by now...
    -nobody rules these streets at night but me-

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

My grandfather once called the music of my dad's generation shit.

My dad once called the music of my generation shit.

We're calling the music of today's generation shit.

All three of the above featured one common thread; the music largely included guitar, bass, drums and vocals.

Every generation of music has shit; classics will stand the test of time and survive. Guitars, bass, drums and vocals are classic.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    My grandfather once called the music of my dad's generation shit.

My dad once called the music of my generation shit.

We're calling the music of today's generation shit.

All three of the above featured one common thread; the music largely included guitar, bass, drums and vocals.

Every generation of music has shit; classics will stand the test of time and survive. Guitars, bass, drums and vocals are classic.
    One big difference there though. I have noticed that my olest son and his friends tend to listen to a lot of the music that I listen to. The same could not be said of my parent's music when I was nearly 16.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    One big difference there though. I have noticed that my olest son and his friends tend to listen to a lot of the music that I listen to. The same could not be said of my parent's music when I was nearly 16.

That's great your son and his friends listen to the same music you do!!!

My parents are the ones who introduced me to VH, Clapton, Zep, Hendrix, Boston.....Hell, my mom was such a Clapton fanatic my oldest brother's first name is Eric.

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I was growing up, it was all Elvis, all the time (no offense, Vike), and it got old quick. I finally got my Mom into Queen when I was about 30 or so, having sent her a ton of video boots, and now she's a fanatic. My Dad, however, is a closet Carpenters fan.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

On the recommendation of a colleague, I checked out a few The Mars Volta tracks on youtube.

These guys are worth having a listen to.

In fact, there are a few good Latin rock acts out there. Spanish seems to work well with rock.

One of my favourites of recent years is Abuela Coca. Their track "Derrocha" is a classic.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am resurrecting this thread because I think it is a good way for me to find new music, I need good ideas for music from you guys. They do not have a current rock station where I live, only classic rock. All of the video channels play mainly rap and hip-hop, and I don't really have the time or patience to search for new stuff on the internet like some people do. I trust you all have good taste so go ahed an throw some ideas my way. Thanks!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a new Weezer song in that video, and to be honest, I think its a damn good song. Weezer actually does give me hope for the future of rock music.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being in my 40's, I sound alot like my dad when I say that lots of the latest Rock these days sucks compared to older stuff and I know part of that is because I'm getting older.

However, being a musician and a student of music, I can also say that guitar based Rock music is at a later point in the "evolutionary bell curve" of creativity, if you will, where dramatic innovations and creative forward progress is inevitably becoming less dramatic than eras past. If you look at the evolution of any music genre/subgenre, that is the way's things naturally evolve, either eventually or simultaneously morphing into something different and/or becoming stagnant. I don't think its a good or bad thing. Its just the way it is. When Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, or Metallica started out, there was lots of furtile creative ground to explore but if you look at those artists in succession, you can argue there was less furtile ground than the previous generation if only because they were, in essence, standing at a point relative to where their predecessors left off. That is a bit simplistic an explanation of my view, not taking into account the various flavors, techniques, and styles. But I believe we are at a point where most of the "untreaded" ground within whatever definition of "guitar Rock" you might have has been treaded upon.
    Last edited by looper_guy; 07.19.08 at 09:37 AM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Yeah, I hate that I sound like the old folks of my day when I talk about music, but I can't help it. I feel I'm justified. I've listened to rock from the '50s, '60s, '70s & '80s and I can't see their beef. Okay, maybe they never had anything quite as theatrical as KISS or Alice Cooper, or anything as heavy as Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin, but still, a lot of the same equipment was used, a lot of it floated out of that same Mississippi Delta and a lot of the themes were the same - we're young, let's have fun, let's find a girl and a car, etc. Now it's life sucks, it's all my parents fault, and I don't even know how to tune a guitar. And it's not just rock - it's music in general. Rock may actually be the least damaged of all music, actually. I mean, my major complaint about most modern bands is their lyrics and the way things are produced these days just makes the music sound so sterile some times. But I think about Motown and Philly soul and early '70s funk and even some of the early disco and how it's all been mostly replaced by rap, which would be like pulling out the most beautiful carpet like lawn and replacing it with weeds. Pure shit. And pop music is still pretty much over-produced treacle. I'm pretty sure country is still pretty much in the midst of one of their "pop" cycles, but it goes through one of those every so often and then acts get back to what makes country a fresh alternative (to me). Need more Patty Lovelesses and Pam Tillises and less Shania Twains and Faith Hills.