Default *** Manchester REVIEWS 5.28 ***

Reviews only.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

11.19.16 @ 03:37 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Just got in. Great show - loud and fun, full of energy. Eddie was spot on, smiling all night. His solo was short, but excellent. Dave was Dave, the classic frontman. Alex was solid and Wolfie did a nice job on bass. Real fun inght.
    I'm sure others will post more later. Sleep time.
    VAN HALEN...ROCK ON

Favorite VH Album

ALL SIX!!!
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 08:40 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Same as above.

Oh yeah, I did the 5-star and saw soundcheck. Wolfie sang "I'll Wait".

Favorite VH Album

ALL SIX!!!
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 08:40 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Almost forgot.

There was someone with a handheld video camera recording the whole thing.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He is my review, the band was on fire, dave was dave...which means get this "nostalgia tour" over with and get Ed and Wolf in the studio together and follow what santana has done with the rotating singers.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

went to the show in Manchester last night & took my 8 yr old son (he was wearing an original shirt from the 1979 tour that was gifted to us)
    . I know I'm getting old, because it was way too loud. Almost to the point where it was affecting the sound (in a bad way). The band sounded very good, just too damn loud.
    but I would not call it a HIGH energy show.

Wolfie looked bored to death up there... I'd actually be surprised if he does this again... to me & my family we thought he looked uninterested.
    However, the kid is a total pro with his playing & singing. He just looked like the thrill of being on tour was over for him.

EVH surpassed my expectations. I've seen alot of the You Tube footage.
    Ed is back on his game for sure & it was nice to see as he is a guitar hero too all who visit this site, and I was hoping he could still pull it off. HE DID!
    He looked healthy & alert (happy)

Al - was Al.... he did a fine job with nothing major to report. IMHO the drum solo is a bit too long, but it's not a big deal.

Dave - Sang & smiled & did his thing. He seemed to be in a very good mood, but he has cut way back on his aerobic style show. Years of all that stuff have probably taken it's toll.. His performance was very good, but noticably different from Dave of old... Much more walking around than anything else. .

Overall I would say it was a good show. Certainly not great. I have been a VH fan since my sister brought home VH 1 in 1978 (she saw that tour).
    This was my 1st time seeing them w/ Dave and I'm glad I did, but I realized as I was watching the show that the band is well beyond it's heyday. Just my opinion.... I still love the band, but probably wouldn't go again. It actually hurts me to say that, cause I've got 30 yrs into being a fan.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

This was my 3rd show of this tour. This show (although shorter...almost rushed through) was the best the band played. Ed is really having a good time up there. I'm sure they're all tired and looking forward to some time off. I would be surprised if nothing else happens. They seemed to have found a formula for getting along when together (Ed being sober and different hotels). I had good seats this time so I am sure that added to the fact that it was the best show I've seen. Its fun to see how much fun they seem to be having, esp. Al. But Ed was awesome...spot on all night, having fun, saw a lot of the Ed of old.
    Only two more shows to go and if you happen to be in the area I would suggest catching one of them.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

Saw the show last night from the nose bleed seats. I was expecting it to be loud but it was okay from where I sat. The band played great and it was a real treat to see the old "ed" back. I saw both worcester shows in 2004 and there was a guy there on stage that resembled Eddie Van Halen but I don't know who that was. Ed played spot on all night and made it look easy.

Wolfgang did a great job vocals and all but I will agree that he looked bored as hell up there! I definately miss Mikes energy. Whenever I see him with Sammy it just brings a great smile to my face. He has a super stage personality that can't be replaced!

Alex was still incerdible. The man is a machine. Being a drummer and having played most of those songs I was watching Alex quite a bit. Hot for Teacher is not an easy song for any of them and they chewed that song up, spit it up and stomped on it! They really played the hell out of it. I alo thought Alex's solo was great. He still has lots of technique and his kit sounded great even through the crappy mix.

Dave was dave. I thought he sounded great on some songs but weak on others. It looks like he is having fun though. It was a very tight musical show and Eddies solo was spot on as well. They all played well and it was great to hear songs like atomic punk. I never thought I would see that!

I know I sound like a broken record but I really really miss Mike. That concert would have been incredible with him there. I will give Wolfie credit though. He can certainly hang with the big boys. I almost wonder if it is to easy for him.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.19.08 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Show, Ed was great, Wolfie did look bored and tossed in a lot of fills and oddball stuff. Some worked, some did not.
    I still heard more bass in 10 minutes than I did in a whole show w MA. The kid can play.
    I think the kid could afford a course of Pro Active (chuckle)
    He also went off time a few times with Al. Not a great night for Wolfie from a perfection point.
    Everyone else was on target.
    I was amazed at some of the stuff Dave was hitting. I was pretty amazed at that. Dave got pissed once when his mic was cutting out and tossed the whole thing at the sound guy and grabbed a backup. He looked pissed but if you blinked you missed that one.
    Ed sounded and looked really good. As previously said, I would not call it a high energy show but a solid one.
    Ed used the white Wolfgang all night except for I'll Wait and one other song. Sound quality went down consideribly when he used the Charvels and if we have to suffer lost notes in the mix due to Ed making an extra 20k on ebay I say leave the fucking Charvels home.
    Sound in the venue was not great. They did suffer a fair amount of sound wash in certain spots. Not horrible though. Could have been better. Too loud I think. Glad I went.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.29.08 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default NH Show Was - OK

I have wanted to see VH for almost 20 years; so last nite was great to finally be there.

However, I should be honest, if I'm giving a review. I thought their performance was OK; not great; and not awful. Just OK.

IMO... I think EVH was the main entertainment. I feel that DLR's vocals weren't that great; and he seemed to be annoyed with the sound, which was pretty bad. His vocals sounded more like screaming to me in some areas, and he visibly struggled a bit and lost some of the lyrics here and there. The timing of the band was off on a few songs, and it seemed they rushed it towards the end, but perhaps that was the venue's pushing them to wrap things up.

I liked the choices of songs they played. A lot of their hits, which was really cool.

Not sure if it's due to EDV's hip replacement/health issues, but he didn't come out front once... whatsup with that? Although, I think his talent is extrordinary and was what made the show.... It left me questioning... why they had the catwalk? DLR was really the only member of the band that interacted with the audience? EVH stayed in his little box.

All in all.... from a rating of 1-10; I would give it a 6.

P.S. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with DLR's six pack. Not shabby for an old guy.
    Last edited by mishimay; 05.29.08 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.08.08 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very good show, a bit rushed though. They hit the stage ten minutes earlier than usual and the a lot of the crowd was still in the beer lines at that point. Eddie was blazing all night and he is still the king. Yes, Wolfie does seem bored at times, but that could be just his personality. He doesn't have the stage persona of Mike Anthony, but we shouldn't take that as him being disinterested. Alex was rock solid as usual. Dave was the star of the show. Did anyone notice he was chewing out the sound guy on stage left all night? At one point he through down his mic stand in disgust and it made a loud thud. He quickly grabbed another mic and continued on. Instead of lambasting their every move, let's just happy they are back and playing live. VH fans tend to be the most critical people I have ever come across.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.26.09 @ 04:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mishimay View Post
    I have wanted to see VH for almost 20 years; so last nite was great to finally be there.

However, I should be honest, if I'm giving a review. I thought their performance was OK; not great; and not awful. Just OK.

IMO... I think EVH was the main entertainment. I feel that DLR's vocals weren't that great; and he seemed to be annoyed with the sound, which was pretty bad. His vocals sounded more like screaming to me in some areas, and he visibly struggled a bit and lost some of the lyrics here and there. The timing of the band was off on a few songs, and it seemed they rushed it towards the end, but perhaps that was the venue's pushing them to wrap things up.

I liked the choices of songs they played. A lot of their hits, which was really cool.

Not sure if it's due to EDV's hip replacement/health issues, but he didn't come out front once... whatsup with that? Although, I think his talent is extrordinary and was what made the show.... It left me questioning... why they had the catwalk? DLR was really the only member of the band that interacted with the audience? EVH stayed in his little box.

All in all.... from a rating of 1-10; I would give it a 6.

P.S. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with DLR's six pack. Not shabby for an old guy.
    6-pack, Hehehe! Lipo does wonders for the old folk!!!!!!!!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    6-pack, Hehehe! Lipo does wonders for the old folk!!!!!!!!

Lol....I'd be surprised if Dave had lipo....his body is a perfect example of how good a person can look at his age if they take care of their body.

Dave's got a rockin bod!!

Poor guy, he just can't get a break from you people!! God love Dave!!!

Sorry for the interruption folks

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

It's hard to tell that Dave was annoyed at the sound guy from where we were. He was a millon miles away and had that goofy Dave smile plastered on all night. One of my friends does stage hand work and called me after he talked to Alex. Did'nt say much but thought he was a nice guy as he was very friendly. I will say it is wierd that they play old songs all night. it seems strange that there is nothing new to promote except nostalgia. I was wondering if Val was there as well. I guess we'll have to see what happens next.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.19.08 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and I might also add, perfect section 119 seats right even w the front row were available day of at ticketmaster and at the Box Office day of.
    I had a prime seat, walked in at 5:30 and bought it.