F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default The official Military thread

Thought I would create a thread to talk about Military related items. Here's an article to kick it off:

USS Kitty Hawk says sayonara

YOKOSUKA, Japan (AP) -- The oldest active ship in the U.S. Navy, the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk, made its final departure from Japan on Wednesday to be decommissioned after nearly half a century of service.

The Kitty Hawk, with sailors lining its decks, pulled away from Yokosuka port just south of Tokyo to the cheers of hundreds of schoolchildren and the sounds of brass bands.

It flew the "Don't Tread on Me" flag, which designates it as the oldest ship in the Navy.

The Kitty Hawk, the last conventionally powered aircraft carrier in the Navy, is to be replaced later this summer by the USS George Washington, a nuclear-powered carrier.

After leaving Japan, the Kitty Hawk will make a stop at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii and then travel on to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington, to be decommissioned.

The ship, commissioned in 1961, became the first forward-deployed aircraft carrier in the Navy when it was assigned to Japan in 1998. It has since made 20 deployments in the western Pacific and participated in Operation Enduring Freedom in Iraq.

"Since it arrived in August 1998, the Kitty Hawk has been a visible symbol of strength in a rapidly changing world," U.S. Ambassador to Japan Thomas Schieffer said. "Goodbye Kitty Hawk, hello George Washington."

The Kitty Hawk and its battle group are the centerpiece of the 7th Fleet, the largest in the Navy, with 40 to 50 ships, 120 aircraft and about 20,000 sailors and Marines. Roughly 21 of the ships are based in Japan and the Pacific island of Guam, while the others rotate out of ports in Hawaii and the U.S. West Coast.

Along with the other 7th Fleet ships, the battle group in Yokosuka, once a major Imperial Japanese Navy hub, has a huge area of responsibility -- covering 52 million square miles of the Pacific and Indian oceans, from the international dateline to the east coast of Africa.

Japan's leadership strongly backs the U.S. military presence in the country and says the more than 50,000 U.S. troops in Japan are a stabilizing force for all of Asia.

However, the replacement of the Kitty Hawk by a nuclear-powered ship is controversial among some here because of fears of an accident. Navy officials have stressed that the ship is safe and pointed out that nuclear-powered submarines have long transited Yokosuka with no problems.

Concerns about the George Washington were raised again earlier this month when a fire on the ship left one sailor with minor burns and 23 others with heat stress.

Sailors extinguished the fire several hours after flames were spotted near the auxiliary boiler room and air conditioning and refrigeration space in the rear of the ship. The Navy said the fire spread through a passageway for cables.

The George Washington is scheduled to be based at Yokosuka starting in August.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Great thread...

Don't have any articles right now but 2 of my older brothers are (or have been) Nuclear Reactor Officers in the Navy. My oldest brother was on the carrier Enterprise for 2 years and did a stint in the Gulf in '96 or '97 - can't remember. My other brother did a stint on the Harry Ass (a.k.a. Harry S. Truman) and also the Enterprise.

As for safety and radiation, yes there is always the potential for an accident, but there are such stringent rules to follow and double, triple, quadruple, etc. checks that a "meltdown" or reactor problem is highly unlikely. Side note, sailors down in the reactor area wear a radiation thingy to keep track of how much they are getting. Peeps on the flight deck get more radiation from the sun than the people in the reactor area.

I know where to come to now to post military articles. Thanks for starting this thread...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am always in awe of the Ghost Fleet on the James River. We, along with my brother in law, put in our boats, load up the family and go from Richmond down to Williamsburg. We have some friends that live in Kingsmill (which has a beach just off the Ghost Fleet) so we dock at the marina, have some lunch and cruise out to the fleet and look around. Very cool and the kids never get tired of looking at those massive ships....

The Ghost Fleet remains moored in the waters of the James River. The American Congress set a date to have it dismantled - 2006, but the same Congress has yet to appropriate the hundreds of millions of dollars it would cost to do the job. A few ships of the fleet that are dismantled every year at American ship breaking yards, but at the same time, its ranks swell as more ships are de-commissioned and join the fleet.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

another

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

last one:

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

It'd be cool to be able to check out Ghost fleets. The are consolidating them on both coasts. Soon there won't be hardly any ghost fleet left.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sad to hear the Hawk is being decommissioned. I did 3 years on her.
    Farewell, CV-63...the LAST CV, since all the current carriers are nukes, and thus CVN.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/30/nav...red/index.html

U.S. Navy boots captain after fire on carrier

From Mike Mount
    CNN Pentagon Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Navy fired the captain and executive officer of the aircraft carrier USS George Washington on Wednesday because of a massive fire that damaged the ship in May, Navy officials said.

Capt. David C. Dykhoff and his executive officer, Capt. David M. Dober, were relieved of duty while the ship is in port in San Diego, California, for repairs.

The two were fired because of practices on their ship that Navy investigators believe led to the fire, Navy officials said.

The Navy officials said investigators believe the fire was started when a cigarette ignited material stored in an engineering room.

Investigators found flammable liquids stored in an engineering area of the ship, which is strictly prohibited. Investigators also found that sailors were allowed to smoke in the same engineering areas, considered another violation.

It is estimated that the damage to the ship will cost about $70 million to repair, the Navy officials said.

The carrier was due to replace the aging USS Kitty Hawk, which is forward-based in Japan, this summer, but the fire delayed the handover. The incident also worried the Japanese government, which had agreed to have the nuclear-powered George Washington replace the diesel-powered Kitty Hawk despite the country's long opposition to allowing nuclear ships dock there.

Navy officials said they expect the George Washington to be fully repaired and in Japan by the end of September.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Tomb of the Unknowns caught in battle

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/27/tom...wns/index.html