Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Some interesting comments on Van Halen's US sales

Sales certifications are not the most accurate way to check sales, but the only one I found immediately available to me. Here are some interesting things to look at:

1984 was 4x Platinum by the end of 1984, the only Van Halen album outselling at this point was Van Halen I at 5x Platinum, despite head start.

Between 1984 and 1989, VHI went from 5x to 6x Platinum in the space of 5 years. Strangely, it went 8x Platinum in the next 5 years, selling approximately double the amount in the same number of years. Despite this being after Roth's career downturn, and Van Halen's quietest year of their career (1990).

Between 1993 and 1996, 3 years, VHI went from 7x Platinum to 10x Platinum, and this was infact the strongest long-term sales it had (6 years to sell first 5 million copies, 5 years to sell the 6th million, 4 years to sell the 7th million). In contrast, the better known album 1984 sold 6 million copies in 3 years but took 9 years to achieve a further 4 million sales.

Despite overall low sales at 2x Platinum, RHRN had achieved the same certification in the year it was released (1993) as FUCK and OU812 did in the years they came out.

Best Of Volume I was the first Van Halen album not to go 2x Platinum in year of release since Diver Down in 1982.

In 2004, BOBW, BOVI, Balance, OU812 and 5150 were all re-certified, implying they checked sales for all Van Hagar albums. Each of the ones re-certified increased by 1x Platinum sales since last being checked, regardless of years (i.e. BOVI sold 1 million between 98 and 04, Balance sold 1 million between 95 and 04, OU812 sold 1 million between 89 and 04 and 5150 sold 1 million since 94).

Not sure what half those facts mean but it's all interesting to think about.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,088 Times in 8,937 Posts

I know many here will disagree with me, but it means that even thought I do think that VH1 and 1984 deserve to be the best selling albums in their catalog, it just cannot be denied that the continued success the band enjoyed after Dave's departure contributed to the overall sales of the DLR led albums.

For whatever the reason or multitude of reasons, I think, and I think most feelt he same, is that the DLR albums are on a whole just a little bit better (no matter who you think is the better singer), but the fact the Hagar albums were still damn good helped the older catalog sales.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I was told there wouldn't be any math.

Don't read this.

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

lp to cassette to cd

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If one train leaves Pasadena heading south at 60 mph carrying Dave era albums, and another heads north from Cabo carrying Sam era albums at 70 mph, which will collide with a broken down pickup on the tracks at Guerro Negro carrying copies of VH3 first?
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Usually record companies track sales pretty closely the first year or so of an album's release. Beyond that, records are submitted sporadically for certification. It's hard to say exactly when an older album sold it's "x" millionth unit because it's not flagged and certified immediately. For instance, 5150, Balance, OU812, and VH II all got further certified on 5/12/2004. Obviously all four of those albums didn't hit milestones at once. It may be that Balance reached the mark a year before and by the time it was recognized, it was halfway to the next milestone.

One note about RHRN, since it was a double CD, every sale counted twice. So if it was certified the same as OU812 or FUCK, that means it really sold half as much.

As noted before, the move to CDs in the early 90's helped sell more albums all over again as well.

The continuing strong sales of the Dave catalog during the Sam years is why Sam has been known to say that VH sold more albums when he was in the band then Dave did.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    If one train leaves Pasadena heading south at 60 mph carrying Dave era albums, and another heads north from Cabo carrying Sam era albums at 70 mph, which will collide with a broken down pickup on the tracks at Guerro Negro carrying copies of VH3 first?
    Hold up VA gimmie a minute. This fucking thing is getting a workout this week.

Thanks #47.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Default Almost there

Quote Originally Posted by the_atomic_punks_rule View Post
    lp to cassette to cd
    It's lp to 8-track to cassette to cd.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I know many here will disagree with me, but it means that even thought I do think that VH1 and 1984 deserve to be the best selling albums in their catalog, it just cannot be denied that the continued success the band enjoyed after Dave's departure contributed to the overall sales of the DLR led albums.

For whatever the reason or multitude of reasons, I think, and I think most feelt he same, is that the DLR albums are on a whole just a little bit better (no matter who you think is the better singer), but the fact the Hagar albums were still damn good helped the older catalog sales.
    This is a valid and honest assessment...along with the changes from LP to 8-track etc. etc.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.16 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    It's lp to 8-track to cassette to cd.
    Back in the day (1970s), LPs and 8-tracks were pretty much on equal terms and people bought whichever format best suited their situation. I don't think there wasn't a distinct and established pattern where people bought the LP, and then "moved up" to the 8-track. Although some hardcore fans bought the LP for listening on the home stereo and an 8-track for listening in the car stereo. But albums and 8-track tapes cost around $5 back then, and that was a lot of money to shell out, so you had to be pretty selective about which release you were willing to buy both the LP and the tape.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Yea, i agree. Not sure there is any kinda of sales spike there. My brother brought home VH1 and told me to play Eruption. I then went out and bought the lp.Never owned the 8-track.

The only group that i can recall having a copy of both was Boston's first release. I bought the lp and traded a gram of hash for the 8 track.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I know many here will disagree with me, but it means that even though I do think that VH1 and 1984 deserve to be the best selling albums in their catalog, it just cannot be denied that the continued success the band enjoyed after Dave's departure contributed to the overall sales of the DLR led albums.

Sure. I can use myself as a perfect example here. I'm newbie to Van Halen, only really getting into them about 10 yrs ago. The first album I bought was VH1. I liked it and bought the others. I didn't really care about the different lead singers (and still don't), I bought the albums for the music.

Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    Usually record companies track sales pretty closely the first year or so of an album's release. Beyond that, records are submitted sporadically for certification. It's hard to say exactly when an older album sold it's "x" millionth unit because it's not flagged and certified immediately. For instance, 5150, Balance, OU812, and VH II all got further certified on 5/12/2004. Obviously all four of those albums didn't hit milestones at once. It may be that Balance reached the mark a year before and by the time it was recognized, it was halfway to the next milestone.
    Yeah, I know it's a VERY rough measurement.

One note about RHRN, since it was a double CD, every sale counted twice. So if it was certified the same as OU812 or FUCK, that means it really sold half as much.
    You're correct, same is true of BOBW of course. As a minor side note, that only happens if the double album is over 100 minutes in length. So albums like The Wall only count as one sale per item sold.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 1,939 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

Another interesting comparison is that Best of Vol I went 3 X Platinum and Best of Both Worlds went 1 X Platinum as a double c.d. (which really only sold over 500,000 units).

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitard View Post
    Back in the day (1970s), LPs and 8-tracks were pretty much on equal terms and people bought whichever format best suited their situation. I don't think there wasn't a distinct and established pattern where people bought the LP, and then "moved up" to the 8-track. Although some hardcore fans bought the LP for listening on the home stereo and an 8-track for listening in the car stereo. But albums and 8-track tapes cost around $5 back then, and that was a lot of money to shell out, so you had to be pretty selective about which release you were willing to buy both the LP and the tape.

I was one of those who was basically forced to buy the 8-track, as you simply could not find VH I on LP after they opened for Sabbath. Of course, over the years, I added to the total...LP, cassette and then the CD.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.