Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Money Grab

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.16 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

Default Money Grab

I keep reading where people (some people say it in post after post after post) say this tour is nothing but a money grab. Maybe it is...maybe it isn't...I don't have insider knowledge into what the VH brothers think about this.

I'd just like to say...if it's a money grab, why hasn't Van Halen released any Roth-era DVDs? And why - up until very recently once the tour got started - didn't they cash in on hats, shirts, etc?

If their goal for this tour is only a money grab, why choose a method that involves a considerable amount of work? They could make millions off of shirts and DVDs ~ and it would pretty much involve ZERO work. They could just sit back and cash the revenue checks and never leave the house.

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

please...touring compared to selling t-shirts and dvd's??? give me a break. How many dvds would they sell??? about 10k

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:10 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

All tours by all bands are money grabs.

Have you ever heard of a band going out on tour, not to make money....
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    All tours by all bands are money grabs.

Have you ever heard of a band going out on tour, not to make money....

True. Touring is where a lot of bands make their real money.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitard View Post
    I keep reading where people (some people say it in post after post after post) say this tour is nothing but a money grab. Maybe it is...maybe it isn't...I don't have insider knowledge into what the VH brothers think about this.

I'd just like to say...if it's a money grab, why hasn't Van Halen released any Roth-era DVDs? And why - up until very recently once the tour got started - didn't they cash in on hats, shirts, etc?

If their goal for this tour is only a money grab, why choose a method that involves a considerable amount of work? They could make millions off of shirts and DVDs ~ and it would pretty much involve ZERO work. They could just sit back and cash the revenue checks and never leave the house.
    I don't understand your logic.

A cash grab is a band who releases no new music or product, but decides to tour behind nostalgia, charging outrageous ticket prices in order to see them.

Sure all bands tour for money, but there's a difference. Bands who tour behind a cool setlist, a new product, and charge the average are the ones touring for the fans, the ones who aren't doing it all for the money. This tour is a greatest hits set, one every casual listener would want to see, just because of the Ed / Dave spectacle and the likes of Jump and Panama being in the setlist. That cheats quite a sum of die-hards of this band of a real good show, plus not many can afford to even go to one. And there's no new product.

That, is a cash grab. You basically started a thread that can go nowhere but down around here. Not bashing you, just saying. Someone won't like my post or someone else's, they'll call me out, and soon more people join and the thread goes to hell.

Seems like the standard around here these days, sadly
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

All tours are money grabs, but some are more money grab then others.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Well you know some fans think they are bigger then the band and that said band OWE's them big time.They want to call all the shots not the band themselves.Things like when they should tour,WHO should be in the band,how much money they should make.Not all the fans just a few no it all pricks that think just because they bought the records and went to some shows bla bla bla.Not a money grab its how they make a living.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

The guys in Van Halen have as much right to make a living as anyone else. All jobs are "money grabs"....Van Halen fans have been clamoring for a reunion with Roth for years and they finally get it together and go out for an extensive tour and now people are complaining that it's a cash grab. The ticket prices are all based on supply and demand. If the ticket prices were too high, no one would be going. If people can't afford it, the tour will fail. If you're not very well off and you're a huge VH fan, get a credit card and pay it off over a few months or find someone to borrow $100 bones from. If you 'can't' afford it, go see Trixter or Ratt at your local bar for $12!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    All tours are money grabs, but some are more money grab then others.
    That's probably one of the more insightful posts I've read on the topic. Cool
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ravid dee loth View Post
    The guys in Van Halen have as much right to make a living as anyone else. All jobs are "money grabs"....Van Halen fans have been clamoring for a reunion with Roth for years and they finally get it together and go out for an extensive tour and now people are complaining that it's a cash grab.
    But this isn't a reunion, remember? It's a new band

Quote Originally Posted by ravid dee loth View Post
    The ticket prices are all based on supply and demand. If the ticket prices were too high, no one would be going. If people can't afford it, the tour will fail.
    You know, I saw Genesis for a cheaper price last year than I did Van Halen, and they had one of the largest productions I've ever seen in my life. Sure Genesis was playing a hits tour, but they threw in a couple rarities, released technically a new product after every show, labelled it as a reunion, and basically stated there would probably be no new music. Van Halen is just doing shows of 25 old songs, leaving us wondering if there's going to be an album, DVD, whatever, and we're supposed to find this to be a "new" band? Yeah, ok. The Genesis show was so worth the price, both of them that I saw. VH was not.

I'm not buying the supply and demand thing. I've been to more intensely produced shows that were cheaper no less than a year ago. They just know they could make money off it, and they took advantage. Smart on their ends, yes, but it puts some fans in an awkward place.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    But this isn't a reunion, remember? It's a new band

You know, I saw Genesis for a cheaper price last year than I did Van Halen, and they had one of the largest productions I've ever seen in my life. Sure Genesis was playing a hits tour, but they threw in a couple rarities, released technically a new product after every show, labelled it as a reunion, and basically stated there would probably be no new music. Van Halen is just doing shows of 25 old songs, leaving us wondering if there's going to be an album, DVD, whatever, and we're supposed to find this to be a "new" band? Yeah, ok. The Genesis show was so worth the price, both of them that I saw. VH was not.

I'm not buying the supply and demand thing. I've been to more intensely produced shows that were cheaper no less than a year ago. They just know they could make money off it, and they took advantage. Smart on their ends, yes, but it puts some fans in an awkward place.

You're really reaching, dude. There are so many contradictions and holes in your argument, I won't even touch it.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo Slammer Casalad View Post
    You're really reaching, dude. There are so many contradictions and holes in your argument, I won't even touch it.
    Do it.....do it! I'm begging you. Take the kid on.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave is better than Sam
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:25 AM
    Liked 1,607 Times in 989 Posts

Donor

See, it's only a money grab if Sam's singing, like in '04.

Since Dave is fronting for '07/'08, Van Halen is a shining beacon of integrity.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh my these arguments get so old. Good thing =VH= hasn't had 8 (close) different lead singers like say...Journey, we would never get any good posting done. Carry on. :-)
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who