Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

07.24.15 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Marshall JMP-1 info

I've got a Marshall JMP-1 Preamp and the Marshall EL34 100/100 stereo power amp coming in this weekend on a trade.

Anyone ever use this setup? Any suggestions for settings etc. I've never had the chance to try this setup.

Thanks in advance...

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

07.15.16 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I don't know about the power amp, but I had a JMP-1 back when they first came out. I got it for the cab emulation - this was before the days of amp modelling. It was a great piece of kit, and very versatile. I used it with an Alesis digital FX processor (a Midiverb 3, I think) and a MIDI foot controller. If I remember correctly, the preamp's EQ wasn't the most effective, which is not unusual for a Marshall.

The two overdrive channels were quite distinct: the first was nice and crunchy for vintage tones, up to fairly heavy rhythm tones - though never quite into metal territory. The second channel was more mid-focused with nice smooth lead tones. The amount of gain on offer probably isn't up to the levels of contemporary amps like the 5150, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Depending on how heavy you want to get, you may need to goose the front end a little with a Tube Screamer or similar.

The speaker emulation was very, very good for its time. They may have improved it since I owned one (we're talking over a decade ago, here), but it wasn't up to the standards of recent Line6 or Boss GT series products.

Overall, they're a nice piece of kit, and I imagine even better with a matching power amp.
    THOSE WE LEFT BEHIND by Stuart Neville - Years of lies unravel when an old case comes back to haunt DCI Serena Flanagan.

June 26th 2015 (UK & Commonwealth), September 22nd 2015 (North America)