Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dressing up your Axes

Hey-
    This might sound a bit dumb, but does anyone else dress up their stock guitars? I guess what I'm getting at is that I have a creme colored Peavey Wolfgang Special. Aside from the neck having this crazy "burl" swirl towards the top, it was just kinda boring looking. I always thought that Peavey should have put Shaller Mini tuners on these guitars, and finally I said screw it, I'm buying them and putting some Shallers onto "Whitey" (thats what I call my Creme Colored Wolfie).
    I first started out putting the eye hooks onto Whitey, and then going to the Pet store and getting the dog clips for the Wolfie Strap. I then ordered up some Shaller mini tuners. So far so good, but I got to thinking that it could use one or 2 more items to dress him up. I took off the volume knob and got an MXR knob onto him like the new Wolfies. Last but not least, I got onto Stew Mac and found one last item to make Whitey stick out- Pearloid buttons for the Shaller Tuners. Whitey has so much more character now. Anyone else do some cool dress ups to their guitars? -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone? -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i always change the control knobs, usualy the day i buy the guitar!...i tend to buy the "aged" discoloured ones or indeed the mxr style
    also i buy a set of dunlop strap-locks
    then over a period of time i change pups, tuners, bridges, scratchplates and jack sockets....basically after about 6 months ive changed pretty much everything, exept on my gibson mIII thats stock exept for stainless frets and i changed all the pots.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yeah! my black Charvel was boring, so I striped it, took out the neck pickup, screwed the bridge pickup to the body, and scraped the finish off the neck so it can get all dirty looking. I love it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    Oh yeah! my black Charvel was boring, so I striped it, took out the neck pickup, screwed the bridge pickup to the body, and scraped the finish off the neck so it can get all dirty looking. I love it.
    i often sand the neck finish off too, esspecially if its thick and glossy crap it just doesnt feel organic to me....only maple necks though, mahogony necks dont smooth up as nice.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

A slinky black negligee over the body and fishnet stockings on the neck. Only problem is I had to drill out the jack to make the hole bigger...to consummate our love
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i often sand the neck finish off too, esspecially if its thick and glossy crap it just doesnt feel organic to me....only maple necks though, mahogony necks dont smooth up as nice.
    Same here. If not right down to the wood, then at least I make it more satin feeling. It's funny 'cause you'd think that the glossier it is it would be better, but once your hand starts sweating a bit, you might as well have dipped your hands in orange juice! Real sticky feeling.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    A slinky black negligee over the body and fishnet stockings on the neck. Only problem is I had to drill out the jack to make the hole bigger...to consummate our love
    Jinkies! Is anyone else getti'n horny?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Same here. If not right down to the wood, then at least I make it more satin feeling. It's funny 'cause you'd think that the glossier it is it would be better, but once your hand starts sweating a bit, you might as well have dipped your hands in orange juice! Real sticky feeling.
    yeah personaly i think all that laquer makes you sweat more, nothing nicer than some wood in the hand....omg i'm never gonna live that down!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Wolfgangs are guitars I've always appreciated stock. My first Wolfie was an ivory white Special I bought ten years ago, and it's still 100% stock. I think I like the simplicity of the solid finish Wolfgang Specials. For the several I've reassembled from parts, that's when I've dressed them up a bit. In the case of the Special I'm working on now (and have been for quite a while), I actually stripped the original ivory finish and added a binding, then refinished the entire thing a transparent green. It'll have ivory tuner buttons to match the binding and cream fixings as well (volume knob, toggle switch tip).

Also, check out this place in Germany for tuner buttons: http://www.crazyparts.de/

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

??mm??mm????...
    Last Online

12.23.08 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Red43j, could you post a picture of your wolfgang special. I have a gold special and I want to do the same to mine... thanks...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ben-
    I'm going to snap some pics. You know what would look cool? Stew Mac Gold Tuners with the Ivory buttons...or did you have something else in mind? Tell us! -Red43j

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    ur talking about the back of the neck, not the fret board, correct? unfinished similar 2 the Wolfgang neck.

when u sanded off the gloss, did u use any stripper or just elbow grease & good sand paper?

I want 2 remove the finish of the back of my Kramer neck so it has the same feel as my Wolfgang. i was told by my contractor that i could pick up stripper form Home Depot & it would remove very easily instead of all-out sanding 1st.

any thoughts here & would the stripper cause any damage 2 the wood.

FYI...the neck is rosewood not maple

Thanx
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heres the pics-

Whitey:

The Eyelet setup I have. I found these nylon washers and these washer-like ring deals at Home Depot in the same section as the eyelets. I think they dress the eyelet up better and give it a nice, clean look:

The Neck Burl/Swirl thingy. I love how it looks. It gives Whitey some character:

AND:

And the Shallers with the Stew Mac Ivory Buttons:

As it stands right now, I probably won't be doing much more to Whitey. I think its at the limit. I'd love to see what some of you did to yours. Andrew, I know you have had to dress some of your Wolfies up, I just don't believe that aside from Strap Locks, thats all you have done. BTW, I did what you are doing to that Wolfgang! -Red43j
    Last edited by Red43j; 05.26.08 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Photos

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeppVH View Post
    ur talking about the back of the neck, not the fret board, correct? unfinished similar 2 the Wolfgang neck.

when u sanded off the gloss, did u use any stripper or just elbow grease & good sand paper?

I want 2 remove the finish of the back of my Kramer neck so it has the same feel as my Wolfgang. i was told by my contractor that i could pick up stripper form Home Depot & it would remove very easily instead of all-out sanding 1st.

any thoughts here & would the stripper cause any damage 2 the wood.

FYI...the neck is rosewood not maple

Thanx
    Don't use stripper on necks ...
    I've seen it melt binding, position markers and inlays.

I'd just stick with sandpaper if I were you.